The online racing simulator
Server settings: Damage / tyre wear / fuel etc
Hey guys, just have an idea I'd like to bounce off everyone.

What would be wrong with having server side options for the following?

Body + suspension damage on/off
Tyre wear on/off
Clutch wear on/off
Fuel usage on/off

Before you flame, keep in mind if these were implemented as server options, the majority of servers would probably leave them enabled for realism. But surely having these all as options would bring more things to more people?

It may seem funny, but more recently I am missing the simplicity of LFS S1 - my friends and I used to have so many intense and awesome races lap after lap, purely because it was so simple with less variables and this kept the racing close. It was not uncommon to have 50 lap endurance races that had a battle for the lead going on from start to finish!

Is it realistic to have all of the above options turned off? No it isn't. Would it hurt LFS to include these options? I don't believe it would. The sim purists would still have a huge amount of servers with everything enabled, and those who are looking for something different would have a few servers to choose from with one or more of these turned off.

Just my opinion, I'd appreciate everyone elses opinion given with the same respect

As established several times already, there will be no "ultra-realistic" and "arcade" mode in LFS, and what you suggest is basically just that. I'd give a lengthy explanation now, but really, this topic is beating a dead horse in several ways.
Well I've done searches, plus it isn't in the suggested improvements log

it's interesting that LFS S1 was never called an arcade game, always a simulator
one could say it's just different levels of simulation?
Also, I've never played GTR2, but according to this quote it appears to use similar logic to what I am suggesting:

Quote :Another big feature is the scalable difficulty which starts out as novice by default, then there’s semi-pro and simulation. Novice is for the beginners and a lot of the realism of the game is removed to help you better adjust, it’s also good for those looking for some quick fun. Semi-pro has better realistic racing behaviors and is still merciful for car control. Simulation is the authentic racing experience and what GTR 2 is really all about, cars and the circuits behave as they would do in real life. You can also switch on and off ‘driving assists’ such as braking, stability, damage, automatic clutch, traction control and a few others, depending on your difficulty selection.

Anything which makes a game more accessible to new users has to be a bonus, wouldn't you say? I personally see it as a vital addition..
#5 - (SaM)
LFS is a simulator.

The purpose of a simulator is to simulate reality.

Now ask yourself this question: Is it possible to switch damage off in reality? Is it possible to switch hangovers off? Is it possible to switch nagging mother's-in-law off?

No.

You're simply mistaking LFS for a fantasy based game.
But the idea itself is very nice, but it canot be implented because, well I just think it`s not driving LFS if there is no damage or tyre wear etc.
The learning curve in real life isn't made easier by the disabling of damage, yet people cope. If they want to learn LFS, then I don't see how those variables will hinder them in the slightest.

Why can't you have close racing now?
Quote from (SaM) :LFS is a simulator.

The purpose of a simulator is to simulate reality.

Now ask yourself this question: Is it possible to switch damage off in reality? Is it possible to switch hangovers off? Is it possible to switch nagging mother's-in-law off?

No.

You're simply mistaking LFS for a fantasy based game.

GTR2 is a simulator.. is it possible to turn damage off in that? Yes!
I'm simply suggesting LFS becomes more customisable and accessible! Calm down

Quote from tristancliffe :The learning curve in real life isn't made easier by the disabling of damage, yet people cope. If they want to learn LFS, then I don't see how those variables will hinder them in the slightest.

Why can't you have close racing now?

You can indeed have very close racing now, and I didn't deny that. Of course people do cope with the curve, if someone is determined to learn LFS they will of course be able to do it. I just suggest that if these options were available, it would open the game up to even more people - and at the same time have very little effect on those who are already here. The end result would probably be a handful of servers on your server list with a few of the above realism settings disabled. You could probably filter these out if you like too

In a business sense, it would make more sense to market your game to the widest group of people possible. If making the game more customisable in this regard it means that more people can pick up your game and learn it, I believe it would be a good move.
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :GTR2 is a simulator.. is it possible to turn damage off in that? Yes!
I'm simply suggesting LFS becomes more customisable and accessible! Calm down

I'm in 2 minds about this, LFS should be accessible. But should also be realistic. IMO, you COULD be able to turn these things off if, for instance, you're at a convention and people want to have a go. But I know that some people are going to jump up and down and say 'LFS shouldn't be accessible'. BS. LFS should be accessible to all, that's a key part of what makes it so fun and great.

E: (SaM), it is possible to turn nagging off. Just buy earplugs :P

DK

P.S. GTR2 != simulation.
On the other hand, GPL had similar "stages of diffuculty" and it didn't make it any less sim. The same with Nascars. And LFS with "full difficulty" leaves lots to be desired from "full realism". As far as anything like "full realism" does even exist.
#11 - Woz
Every "more difficult" addition to LFS has IMPROVED racing. When there is risk or damage to wear it makes people drive more like they would IRL.

BIG BIG -1.
Quote from (SaM) :Then it's not a simulator.

Agreed...

But I'll go out on a limb here and say that it should be an option, if for instance you have mates round and just want to mess about
god idea +1
but not THAT cool -1

thing's start 2 go crazy here
:monkey:
Reminds me of the usuall discussion there is when there's a Red Orchestra Free Week(end) (a quite realistic WW2 FPS).

The devs urge us server admins to disable friendly fire while the n00b-invasion on the free week lasts, to minimize frustration and get more people to buy the game. I think though, that this setting alters gameplay too much as people don't have to pay attention on whom thy shoot, or more importantly, where they lob grenades. Additionally, when you "learned" to use wrong tactics, like for example throwing grenades close to friendlies, it's even more frustrating to unlearn them when the need arises (just look at the cluth heat discussion)

To make the story short: I don't think it would be a good idea, because 1stly, these options change how lfs is played by a lot, and 2ndly, as you said yourself already, propably noone's gonna use them, so it's not worth the time to implement it.
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :GTR2 is a simulator.. is it possible to turn damage off in that? Yes!

Real life is a simulator? YES! It is possible to turn damage off in that? Of course, not!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG