The online racing simulator
Sun glare
(74 posts, started )
Quote from mxpxun :Agree HL2 graphics are the best

...And the physics when you drive the sand buggy...
Quote from Gekkibi :...And the physics when you drive the sand buggy...

Max speed to 0 .... archived within less than 2 secs... very realistic...
Quote from Gekkibi :...And the physics when you drive the sand buggy...

And who are talking about the Havok Engine?

Do you play HL2:Lost coast? , Do you se the Stunning Visual they have?

I think the visual of HL2 :LC , have better Effect that crysis
Quote from Inouva :And who are talking about the Havok Engine?

Do you play HL2:Lost coast? , Do you se the Stunning Visual they have?

I think the visual of HL2 :LC , have better Effect that crysis

Oh, great! Once again graphics over anything else! I still play System Shock 2 and Operation Flashpoint. I don't give a rat's ass about shocking graphics and x999 anti-aliasing...
#55 - Jakg
Lost Coast looks nice but it still looks like a "game" with dead-straight lines and faces. Crysis looked MUCH better.

(FTR i'm talking about in-game experience maxxed out - screenshots or videos do neither game justice)
I suggest u to play HL2 ep1 first level , there is the best sun effect
P.S. HL2 with all its episodes is the best game i have ever played, but i was a bit disappointed about HL2 ep2 ending when Eli Vance Died.
Quote from mxpxun :I suggest u to play HL2 ep1 first level , there is the best sun effect
P.S. HL2 with all its episodes is the best game i have ever played, but i was a bit disappointed about HL2 ep2 ending when Eli Vance Died.

...thanks for spoiling it, Now I won't bother buying Ep2

on-topic: No it isn't. You try going outside on a sunny day, and then do the same in a game, see how they compare.
#58 - Jakg
Quote from mxpxun :I suggest u to play HL2 ep1 first level , there is the best sun effect

I would if it was free. I got Lost Coast with my GFX card (it's free to all nVidia owners) and the only time I noticed HDR was when the windows in the Chapel(-thing) got shot out, which could of been done without using HDR (imo)
everything hdr does right now could be done without it since it doesnt actually used hrd but instead just over or underexposes everything as if you were looking at the world through a 1 year old camera sensor
in short its the same low dynamic range weve had for years with bloom added to make it look cool

in many ways older engines like lfs are more hdr than the current ones
Quote from Gekkibi :Oh, great! Once again graphics over anything else! I still play System Shock 2 and Operation Flashpoint. I don't give a rat's ass about shocking graphics and x999 anti-aliasing...

I dont under stand you , we are talking from Sun glare (Bloom Effect) and you jump with crap from the Havok engine of hl2
Quote from Inouva :I dont under stand you , we are talking from Sun glare (Bloom Effect) and you jump with crap from the Havok engine of hl2

I meant that "content over graphics". Someone said magic word Crysis in here. Does that game have something more than overly-ridiculously beautiful graphic-effects? No? I tought so...

Then, back to topic. Of course sun glare would be welcome addition to LFS (Or any driving simulator). However, it requires that sun is setting or rising. Won't happen in the middle of a day. Other great nuisance would be shiny asphalt (First it requires rain and/or wet track options). I think these would be great things not because then LFS would look really great (And lag really badly on some computers), but to dazzle the driver.
either way all things considered i think that screenshot from nr2003 in the opening post is a really neat example of sun glare done right
it has some suble bloom round the sun, reduced contrast that you get when you squint your eyes and a few beams of light which look like your brightly lit eyelashes you see faintly if you look directly into the sun
#63 - LJF
HDR is an awesome effect ......... so long as it's not misused ... Unfortunately I've yet to play a game that didn't misuse it. Recreate the kind of HDR that the human eye experiences and not that of a crappy camera.
No no
no sun glare, has anyone here played the new forza? oMFG theres a track where the sun glare is soooooo intense its IMMPOSSIBLE to see where your're going its a matter of luck and trial and error to make that turn....
Quote from jervaughn :no sun glare, has anyone here played the new forza? oMFG theres a track where the sun glare is soooooo intense its IMMPOSSIBLE to see where your're going its a matter of luck and trial and error to make that turn....

Comparing forza to lfs (and its dx8) is a crime.

Also, i dont need sun glare tho.
Still, last time I checked, LFS was DX7.
It is DirectX7 with some functions of DX8, so you need DirectX8 to run LFS
Quote from hazaky :Comparing forza to lfs (and its dx8) is a crime.

Also, i dont need sun glare tho.

I apologize!
Quote from jervaughn :I apologize!

No probs at all

Anyways, hmm. I wish it all was atleast on dx10 Dx8 is getting way too old now.
People are misunderstanding what HDR (and to an extent, bloom) actually is. HDR is just a way of representing brightness levels that are beyond the capability of the medium displaying the image (hence 'High Dynamic Range' - a monitor by contrast has a Low Dynamic Range).

One of the ways this can be implemented is by using bloom on areas that are lit brighter than the backlight of the monitor can acheive - like the sun, or a car's headlights. Whether or not you like bloom in a game (and I admit it is waaaaay overused by most) you have to agree that things like headlights look much better when they have glare, rather than just 'making the texture white' as is the current LFS implementation.

This thing of having the screen dynamically brighten and darken is just a way of coping with the fact that if it didn't you'd get points where the entire screen was either bloomed or dark. I know which I'd rather have.
Quote from nikopdr :Still, last time I checked, LFS was DX7.

I'm curious, how exactly are you checking this?

Sun glare
(74 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG