The online racing simulator
Quote from traxxion :Fair enough!

Just to make this clear: I don't even want to think about how difficult it is to program AI's and I have big respect for you - for how they behave already (having a hard time keeping up with the pro FBMW's!).

I agree wholeheartedly. The AI aren't perfect, but they are a HUGE step up from before, and better than half of the people I've raced against. A friend and I raced against a pack of AI cars on Blackwood in the LX4 the other night. I was driving my ass off just to keep up with the "Quick" guys. I made one mistake and never saw them again. The "Pro" guys dusted me within 2 laps and I was unable to catch up.

The new AI is a hundredfold improvement. Once they can adapt a little bit better to overtaking situations and changing conditions, they're going to really give people a run for their money.
X35 - I did some race with FXR against AI XRR and FZR and after the race, both AI stopped, made a 180° turn and went straight into pits. Yes, it's pretty similar to most people online, but in X33, they did a lap and then went to the pit, now they drives in opposite direction. btw FZR AI driver did two times a spin in right turn after second split in five laps, but i guess it's not unusual without any lap done before.

btw speed of AI's... i didn't managed to stay close behind the XRR. Well, I drove by mouse and usually using DFP

EDIT: hm, Kyoto National was the track
I just ran a few AI drivers in the FZ5 around Kyoto National. I originally had the race set to 2 laps, then increased it after the race started (to force them to pit). After the 3rd lap, when coming off the oval, every single one of them suddenly turned towards the infield, went through the grass, and hit the pit wall. Once there, they seem unable to figure out how to get back on the track. They just go back and forth into the walls.

This is on X35. Not sure if it happened on previous patches since this is the first time I've tried this track/car combo with the AI.

Edit: I tried the same repro but using the F08 instead of the FZ5. The cars are trying to pit from the wrong end. They pass the pits, then turn around and enter the pits from the wrong end. Then they leave the pits, drive about and 1/8th mile, then turn around and start going the correct way again.

Edit2: I've tried this now with multiple different cars. The F08 and FZR can successfully get into the bits, but they go backwards. The FZ5, LX6, etc. can't seem to figure out how to go backwards and can't make it to the pits. Not sure why some cars can turn around and others can't. Something in the [enter pits] path is obviously wrong, here. Kyoto National Reverse does the same thing. They try to go in the wrong way.
I still dont understand why i sometimes after races see AI drive into their box normal and then leave again on track???
For what it's worth, even though the AI can't account for the wind, they seem to be able to cope with it just fine. I've tried several races where I start the race, then turn the wind to level 2. So far, I've seen no adverse effects from doing it.
Just added some odd mix of cars on oval, practise, a MRT got flipped, no reset, and AI dont shift S orso, so it just lay there, untill it got hit again landed on it's feet.. nothing happend.

Shouldn't it try to reach the pits? why doesnt it move?

Also on track they seem to evade eachother, but exiting pits they just drive in to each other full speed. Mind you, it was an odd combo so big speed differances but still
Quote from auch_enne :Just added some odd mix of cars on oval, practise, a MRT got flipped, no reset, and AI dont shift S orso, so it just lay there, untill it got hit again landed on it's feet.. nothing happend.

There's an option to allow resetting. It's off by default but if you turn it on I think the AI will reset their cars and fix damage.
Last time I'm going to mention it, this time included a replay. The path for many of the cars, and almost all the road cars at SO Chicane Route rev just results in them smashing into the barrier time after time. They usually only make it through without serious collision if they've reacted to a car in front clipping the barrier.
Here's a 5 lap LX6 race which nicely illustrates the problem there.
Attached files
chicanerevLX6crashes.zip - 1.1 MB - 181 views
If i take a set with intake restriction and have option AI use driver's set to NO LFS should still use the same restrictions on the AI.
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :If i take a set with intake restriction and have option AI use driver's set to NO LFS should still use the same restrictions on the AI.

How do you figure? If the intake restriction is part of the setup, and the AI are not using that setup, why would they have the restriction?

You would have to use server-side restrictions of some sort for that.
The AI are using a set they calculate. They should account for the voluntary restrictions.
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :The AI are using a set they calculate. They should account for the voluntary restrictions.

But you are taking a voluntary restriction, not them. If you restrict your car, those restrictions aren't enforced on everyone else in the race. Only server-side restrictions would do that. In that case, all cars (including the AI) would be restricted.

I think this is working as it's supposed to.
The AI are still having problems coping with grass. They are much better at staying on the track now, but on occasion when they try for a pass they spin out or get bumped onto the grass. Quite often they will sit there spinning circles or bumping into walls. Not sure if this can be fixed simply by having them use less throttle when on the grass.

Edit: AI still having issues pitting too. I had 7 cars running on Kyoto GP. Even though there are 16 pit boxes there, out of 7 cars two of them apparently tried to use the same box and crashed into each other. Either that, or the later car turned in too soon hitting the first car as it was trying to enter the next box.
There are whole classes now based on restricted cars GT2 (CTRA) and UF BabyR. So i should not have to let them use my set perse to race them. I dont think its an unreasonable question.

Dont know what you mean with serverside if i am racing by myseld in singleplayer.
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :There are whole classes now based on restricted cars GT2 (CTRA) and UF BabyR. So i should not have to let them use my set perse to race them. I dont think its an unreasonable question.

Dont know what you mean with serverside if i am racing by myseld in singleplayer.

Even in single player, you're essentially running a host. You pick the track, the laps, the weather, if pitting is required, etc. What you're basically asking for is a way to restrict all the cars that connect. What we have right now is simply voluntary restrictions that can be used by leagues to add ballast or intake restriction to specific people.

I understand what you're asking for, but it needs to be solved by server-side restrictions, not a change in the AI behavior, IMO.
I found a almost sure way (bug) to win against any AI difficulty.

Not sure if it was mentioned already but if you get on the inside of the AI in the corner, they will pull back quite a bit allowing you to gain a good lead.
However, if you are on the outside, they will slam you into the wall with all their might.

I believe those two should be balanced a bit to make the AI a bit more realistic, but all in all the AI are great IMO.

Great job Scaven and Team......once again.
In X35 the AI in KY2 and KY2r now drives in the wrong direction in the pits. e.g. KY2 should be to the right, but the AI drives to the left.
AI doesent overtake. did an 16hour test race wit UFR 30%restriction XFR 25%restriction and LX4 0% restriction. but they just don't overtake. they step all the time on the brake when they make a move to pass. also Did GTR test on KY Oval, when AI is faster they just don't pass even on straights. they jump on the brakes and make abrubt steering moves. also they enter the pitlane to fast at KY oval so they get a drivetrough all the time. but i see that its fixed in X35?

so these bugs i noticed:

-AI don't overtake they just brake and do abrubt steering and following eachother in one line. even when there is a diffrent in power ( LX4/UFR/XFR)
-AI doesnt use the full width of the track. just one line.
They seem to be OK at Aston. I had 15 cars, 4 of each GTR class, and 3 FOX's. One AI got smashed to bits and limped around the track in first gear before it ran out of gas and parked far away from the race line. One other AI played in the sand at the downhill chicane, then finally got itself out.

They pitted once during the 10 laps, did not burn their clutches out, and only one AI tried to bump another out of a pit stall.

To me, a vast improvement.
I can confirm that Kyoto National pit behavior is fixed in X36. Thanks!
Just had lots of AI at BL2 in XFGs, with a forced pitstop and 20 laps (mainly to test the clutch solution, which seems to work fine).

But their pitlane entrance technique is, err, interesting. Wait until last minute, then hurl the car sideways into the pitlane in a big slide. Then catch the slide, flick it the other way, and tootle down the pitlane...

The race isn't over yet (AI4 looks to have it in the bag with 6 laps to go!), but when it is I'll try and attach the replay.

Edit: Download zip file containing spr here
AI still fail to slow down enough for the pits on the oval in BF1 or if they have damage at any track (im guessing, its the case for westhill anyway). They get a penalty then when they come in to serve the penalty they get another. This continues forever it seems. Cant really test a lot as LFS crashes a lot when alt tabbing with AI running and i need a pc restart to play again.

Cant upload replay as its too big.
Things i noticed during a full grid 51lapper with XRT at blackwood.

- AI only takes fuel for 4 qualylaps and then comes into the pits regardless of time remaining. They dont go out again even if theres still 8 minutes of qualy left.
-15 out of 20 cars got stranded in the sandpit after the straight. Most(but not all) had a front puncture and werent able to adapt their brakingpoint..thus sliding into the gravelpit. (could be prevented by adjusting brakepressure so they dont lock their tires so often..but the ai should be able to adapt to blown tires)
-AI that pits on lap 41 to replace an almost blown right front replaces all four of his tires, and worse...adds the starting amount of fuel for 51 laps. He had ~13%left and added ~54% ending up with 67% of fuel..so more then he would need for a whole race while there were only 10laps to go.

Even though i only race online, the AI has improved alot. All they need imo is more consistency to be a good tool to get newer players up to speed
more odd xfg bl2 behaviour whilst pitting very early in a 20 lap race, its quality viewing.

edit: x36 btw
XR GTR is having trouble in the last corner of the KY Grand Prix track when the front tires are hot...

BUG REPORTS : AI Drivers
(254 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG