The online racing simulator
#1 - CSU1
Will LFS be available on the xbox 360?
...my reason for asking is im planning on spending more of my $$$ on gaming rather than upgrading to a new pc in the new year as I just don't have a need or want for an expensive gaming pc when a console can do it better for one third of the price, i'd rather spend a grand on one of those Samsung HD 5000:1 CR TV's.

Another reason for asking is when I look at the msdn dev's site I can see how close knit the xbox and windows gaming are.

I think this is a decent enough request, so, will it come on the xbox?
Wouldn't the multiplayer have to go through Xbox Live? If so, that'd kill it stone dead. Imagine how many ritalin-fuelled Xbox gamers you'd convince to buy LFS - not many. So if you can't multiplay with the PC users you're stuffed.
#3 - CSU1
well, I understood that the use of xbox live is a part of the game dev's deal with microsoft to allow the game to use ms's servers etc LFS doesnt go by the same rules, what if I released an application that allowed LFS to be run on the XboX OS?, would that break any of ms's license laws? think not as LFS is self sustaining as far as using servers goes. i think???
Quote from thisnameistaken :Wouldn't the multiplayer have to go through Xbox Live? If so, that'd kill it stone dead. Imagine how many ritalin-fuelled Xbox gamers you'd convince to buy LFS - not many. So if you can't multiplay with the PC users you're stuffed.

I think you are exaggerating (sp?) it a bit. However, in my opinion, the problem is licensing. LFS DEV team would have to pay royalties to Mircosoft...in other words...would you still buy S2, if it cost not 24 pounds, but let's say, 40?
it wont come b4 S3 for sure, and that would mean, it wont come b4 xbox1080 prolly
We can surely hope it won't - Consoles DESTROY games (except James Bond on the N64). And Metal Gear Solid was fun for a while. And GTA was quite good. But the rest - meh!
#7 - Jakg
LFSn00b - I think a bigger barrier is the fact that LFS would need to almost be entirely re-written to support different architecture.

Plus theres no decent wheels for the 360 - imo it will never happen, as it would never go down too well on a console.
#8 - CSU1
Quote from tristancliffe :We can surely hope it won't - Consoles DESTROY games (except James Bond on the N64). And Metal Gear Solid was fun for a while. And GTA was quite good. But the rest - meh!

...it's just for handyness sake really, it would be nice to drive LFS on the XboX as far as messing around with cables when wanting to play games/sims goes...

If it where easy to convert all of those thingys in the data folder to make use of the xbox's OS, and if there where no law's being broken tword MS, and if LFS could retain it's current multiplayer server setup, I'd see no reason why it should not (imo) be realeased on the xbox...

...at the end of the day when you buy an XboX it yours to do what ever you like with it; as long as you dont break any laws, and as I said the self sustaining nature of this sim's multiplayer system should(i fink?) steer clear of the XboX Live thingy.

LFS does'nt depend on any outside influences, hence my question in the OP.

edit:

@ noob, I'll be doing most things I do on my pc on the XboX, with a mouse and kb too

@ jakg - yep as I said above if it would be easy, I imagine it could'nt be so hard todo if they wanted as LFS is'nt the most complicated software as far as gfx goes , also the G25 will be on the XboX too
#9 - Jakg
I'm no 1337 programmer, but the first thing that i'm thinking is that the Xbox 360 is multi-core, right? Scawen has said before that it would take at least a month to Multi-Thread LFS (which imo he should).

I'm sure there are much bigger things than that...
I think you probably already know the answer.

Consider the development process of LFS and how many people make/develop the game.
The time scale and pace of development.
The goal of the game.
The target market which couldn't be more away from the xbox idea.

So I think the simple answer is, NO.
#11 - CSU1
Quote from garph :I think you probably already know the answer.

Consider the development process of LFS and how many people make/develop the game.
The time scale and pace of development.
The goal of the game.
The target market which couldn't be more away from the xbox idea.

So I think the simple answer is, NO.

...I think your simply mad...

scenario:

MS_guy :Hi Scawen, we're releasing the new XboX blahmaster wheel, how's about we bundle your lil sim with it at launch?

Scawen :Hummmmmm....

Target markets obviously know wtf they want, if the don't want it they do something else. The goal of the SIM is what again? to develop a online racins sim? yep, what difference does it being available to a new market make?....tis still the same sim, just in a different box
I doubt it, XBL is a heap of steaming shite.
Mad how? Just think about the questions I put down.

I think you might of got caught up in the least important question, the target market one is the least of your worries if you'd like the game to go to the xbox.

If you think LFS will ever be on xbox then I'm not the one who is mad.
Quote from CSU1 :...at the end of the day when you buy an XboX it yours to do what ever you like with it; as long as you dont break any laws

I think you'll find that isn't accurate
Since the 360 is built around a PowerPC there's technically no reason it couldn't be done with only minimal changes. Even ignoring the 3 cores for a bit. Each one is 3.2GHz too, so even in it's current CPU-heavy status it should get a decent frame rate.

The problem would be the UI would need completely altered. We'd need highlighted menu buttons and setting the cars up would take forever if you had to cycle menus, so that'd need to be changed.

And of course since the percentage of Xbox users don't have a wheel, they'd expect driving aids so they could get a reasonable experience with a pad. And I don't think you'd get that in LFS.

So technically it could be done, the question is more whether it's worth the bother. And I don't think it is right now.
I've heard about attempts to get linux working on the xbox, but as far as I know its all talk so far.
Quote from Dajmin :Since the 360 is built around a PowerPC there's technically no reason it couldn't be done with only minimal changes.

A recode for a new architecture minimal? PPC isn't the same as the PC architecture (remember the old Macs?), so the current code wouldn't stand a chance in hell of working. There's also the issue of the 360's processor being restricted to in-order execution only. I'm not sure whether that would affect LFS at all, but it certainly wouldn't help!
Quote from CSU1 :I think this is a decent enough request, so, will it come on the xbox?

If they devs want to dance the MS Licensing Policy dance and pay the MS Licensing Pricelist bucks maybe it will. But since it doesn't seem that their ultimate drive is to become super rich I doubt it.
Quote from nihil :I've heard about attempts to get linux working on the xbox, but as far as I know its all talk so far.

In theory it's possible (or has been possible, in any case). But any successful attempt will need to use a security hole in the Xbox, and MS will be quick to patch it.
Quote from JohnUK89 :A recode for a new architecture minimal? PPC isn't the same as the PC architecture (remember the old Macs?), so the current code wouldn't stand a chance in hell of working. There's also the issue of the 360's processor being restricted to in-order execution only. I'm not sure whether that would affect LFS at all, but it certainly wouldn't help!

But it's not actually that big a job, compared to porting to something with it's own unique architecture. It's still a PC at heart, so it'd really be just a massive bug test to make sure it worked, then optimising it once it was done. Not a small job for a 3-man team, admittedly, but not impossible.
That's why most PC-console ports come out on 360 first, because it doesn't need the same kind of massive structure rewrite that something like the PS3 would need.

Possible? Yes. Practical? Not really
Quote from Dajmin :It's still a PC at heart

PowerPC (By IBM/Motorola/Apple) is nothing like the PC (x86, by Intel). Propably the only thing they have in common is the two letters on the name
Well bah, that's all my illusions shattered.
PWNED indeed
Quote from Kegetys :PowerPC (By IBM/Motorola/Apple) is nothing like the PC (x86, by Intel). Propably the only thing they have in common is the two letters on the name

i dont know the architecture at all but id imagine the actual code bits would compile and run just fine ... number crunching shouldnt require any rewriting at code level assuming all variable types are available and identical or at least not shorter than on the original machine
id guess the problem would be in porting all the windows/directx api calls
The best games only for PC
- no good wheels for Xbox.
- it's rather expensive (you pay for it once, but once it's outdated you are screwed instead of just upgrading your pc for that price)
- and all things said above.
- a console is outdated very fast... (360 will be outdated sooner than LFS will be finished)

-1 on LFS on Xbox.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG