The online racing simulator
Blackwood Advice
(13 posts, started )
Blackwood Advice
Hey guys,

Been playing for just over a week on the demo and have finally started to improve a little.

My best lap with the XFG is 1.38.79, which I am fairly pleased with although i know its a long way short! It is hopefully attached to this post.

Main point of this is I was just wondering what areas i need to improve on to gain time. I have a pretty fair idea of where i could make up more time, but just wanted other peoples opinions on it too.

Am just using one of the default race setups and using the keyboard.

Thanks in advance

(Hopefully getting S2 tomorrow when i get paid!)
#2 - J@tko
You've attached an RAF file. I've no-idea what one of them is! I've put it in the raf folder, but it doesn't come up with a replay. You need to save it as a spr by pressing 1 in hot lapping.
A raf file is like a telemetric output of one particular lap (press ESC while viewing a single-player replay and you'll see the option to "Output Lap Data" - this creates a raf file). You can use it in replay analysers like F1PerfView and AnalyseForSpeed, but you can't view it in LFS.
hmmm, wasnt sure which file to attach!

The SPr file should be attached to this one, although never having done this before not sure if that is right either

best lap is lap 11 if anyone can be bothered to watch that far
#5 - J@tko
Quote from thisnameistaken :A raf file is like a telemetric output of one particular lap (press ESC while viewing a single-player replay and you'll see the option to "Output Lap Data" - this creates a raf file). You can use it in replay analysers like F1PerfView and AnalyseForSpeed, but you can't view it in LFS.

Oh right, Thanks!

Quote from jamesyboz :hmmm, wasnt sure which file to attach!

The SPr file should be attached to this one, although never having done this before not sure if that is right either

best lap is lap 11 if anyone can be bothered to watch that far

It hasn't attached cos you've gone over your attachment size limit. You need to delete the original one to get the other one on!
#7 - J@tko
OK: here's some advice I hope you find helpful!
(For your best on replay!)
Turn 1:
Braking: Brake just after the 100m line. Downshift quicker - you'll slow down quicker, but not break engine! (no engine damage, or v. little!) just shift straight from 4th/5th down to second
Line: The line you take is fine, but I prefer to brake in a curve into the apex. I basically brake, then turn in slowly and properly turn into the apex when I'm actually on it.
Exit: Perfect - power on nice and early.

Turn 2 (chicane):
Braking: None
Line: Fine. I turn in a bit earlier into the middle corner. Try and drive around the final kerb a bit more to get a bit better drive onto the straight.
Exit: Try and use a little more road, but that won't really affect your lap time!

Turn 3:
Braking: Brake a tad later, and brake on the rumble strip - it gives you a better angle into the corner.
Line: This was my least favourite corner - I think it's quite hard to get a good line. Try and steer a little less and use the kerb - that's what it's there for!
Exit: If you take more kerb, then the car will automatically go further out wide on the exit. Power on early again though - Good.

Turns 4/5:
Braking: I think that this is the most difficult corner on the circuit to get perfect. If you have warm tyres and a good setup, then you can take it flat out (sometimes). You won't be able to straight away. For now, brake quite late and as you are turning in.
Line: Your line through here is perfect - you just need more speed!
Exit: Use all the road on the exit

Turn 6:
Braking: Keep as far left as possible, brake at 50m and then turn in just as you get off the brakes. It's quite a hard corner to get right too.
Line: Fine, again!
Exit: You can use a bit more of the green stuff, but not too much, or you'll go on the grass and spin!

Turn 7:
Braking: Keep as far right as possible, and brake as you turn in.
Line: You can take this corner two ways. The way you take it (slow in, fast out) is good. However, you'll find that it's faster to go in quick and clip the kerb on the outside. My least favourite corner on the track!
Exit: Good. I find it better if you keep right over to the right as you go down the 'straight'.

In Summary:
Brake later, and downshift as quick as possible.
Don't steer as much! I know it's hard on the KB (I have one too!) but that costs you maybe 0.5 secs per lap.
Be more aggressive!
Don't worry about it - you'll get better over time!

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Attached: WR replay and my setup! (thanks Taylor-Mania!)
Attached files
PartyBoyU_BL1_XFG_132940.spr - 113.4 KB - 165 views
XF GTI_BL1 Quali.set - 132 B - 159 views
Hi guys, thanks very much for taking the time to have a look

Thanks for the feedback too, i will certainly try and take it on board! I knew my steering was costing me some time, and the entry to the first corner i have found difficult but slowly getting there! Look forward to racing you guys sometime!
#9 - J@tko
Quote from jamesyboz :Hi guys, thanks very much for taking the time to have a look

Thanks for the feedback too, i will certainly try and take it on board! I knew my steering was costing me some time, and the entry to the first corner i have found difficult but slowly getting there! Look forward to racing you guys sometime!

No probs. Glad to help.
Quote from J@tko :No probs. Glad to help.

Forgot to add thanks for the setup too, have not really tinkered with setup yet until i felt confident on the track but will give it a go.

Looking forward to racing people online!
I know this is a few months old now, but it's just what I needed. I'm down to just under 1.38, but needed a few tips on getting those couple of seconds off the time.

Jamesyboz: How are the lap times now?

Blackwood Advice
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG