The online racing simulator
Quote from Lateralus :Some have argued that they have to use their horn during the race to let others know where they are. This makes no sense to me.

That was me! If I'm alongside someone and don't see them looking in the mirrors, I honk to let them know I'm there. Many people do this too and I don't find it offensive or anything. Just a reminder you are not alone on the track. I've seen some people who think they are.

You don't need surround sound to determine the direction. Headphones or stereo speakers are enough.

Quote from Lateralus :A much better way of finding out whether cars are is to use one's eyes and mirrors, right?

Boy, do I wish it was so. Many drivers don't use them. I use them but does the person I'm next to? How can I be sure? Apart from the rare eye contact, when both look at the same time.

Don't confuse real life to a sim. All real life drivers are reguired to keep an eye on their surroundings and have the best Hi-Fi surround sound system available and have a full 360 degree fov on their wraparound monitor.

Yes, I agree with the overuse issues. But I don't see the harm in a single toot to let someone know you are right there.

Besides it's a good way to blow off some steam when someone nudges you.
Don't over use
I think the horn should be left where it is. There are times when I have needed it. Coming up beside someone on a straight or corner and they start to drift over onto you, pushing you onto the grass or wall. I give a short toot just to let them know I'm there. If that doesn't work I know they are being a twit and will either back off a bit or when they finally contact me I will hold my car where it is to the best of my ability. (Which is sometimes suspect as well:-) ) But on the other hand if someone comes up behind me and is going to lap me and lays on the horn. Their passing job just got a whole lot harder. My back bumper can be very wide for ****s.
I think I should bind a button that says "if you hadn't honked you would have been by by now:-)"
Quote :Well look at Lemans 24 hours. They have got a system on board that the car automaticaaly flash their lights to alower racers. It a very clever system. The flashing makes people aware of faster drivers are going to overtake. So i say flashing isnt that annoying.

Le Mans is a rule unto itself, mostly because it's run by the ACO which is run on the basis that it's one yearly event in no way represents either real road driving or any other form of motor racing. I love Le Mans, but I do so in the full acceptance that the ACO is slightly more insane than an escapee under section 10 order.
I have a strange tick where I just beep my horn, Its not a full on honk for ages. Just a *beep beep beep beep beep* as I drive along by myself...I am too busy racing (or in the FOX) to beep my horn normally...
Quote from niels1 :Well look at Lemans 24 hours. They have got a system on board that the car automaticaaly flash their lights to alower racers. It a very clever system. The flashing makes people aware of faster drivers are going to overtake. So i say flashing isnt that annoying.

Unlikely using the horn during race is annoying. I dont use them ever. I never have seen a race were racers horn each other. Althouhg the horn has it use but not during a race.
I dont mind the horns that much but more the stupid tunes people use nowadays for a horn. A police sirene on a racetrack ???
Sorry but that i just dont get.

AFAIK, that same light-flashing system is used by the LMS and ALMS too, it's not just Le Mans

@Becky: ROFL at that. I now have a great mental image of the ACO in a nuthouse (wait a second...that's not too far from the truth.).
I don't use the horn alot but sometimes i do use it. I usually use it as a warning or a little sign of annoyance. If someone is moving the outside for the next corner and I am slightly along side and it is getting really close I do pip the horn to remind them I am there, more so when racing people I don't know. The annoyance is when some hits me or similar, not enough to warrent a sorry but just as a little "oi" message.
When someone is coming up behind me on the straight (especially at the start of the race as we are entering the 1st corner) they sometimes beep me with their horn.

For me this basically means
'Oi you! Im gonna ram you off the track if you don't move out the way!'

This immediately tells me that they are not a very good racer and you should get away from them as soon as possible to avoid a crash.

If they are going quite alot faster than me and are about to overtake I will probably let them pass... but if I know im faster than them I will thrash it through the first few corners to get away from them.

In conclusion, don't use your horn because you everybody will hate you.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG