The online racing simulator
CTRA Policy On Horn Use
I don't buy into the argument that using one's horn in a race does any good. Mostly it's just annoying.

Some have argued that they have to use their horn during the race to let others know where they are. This makes no sense to me. I doubt most people have surround sound systems to determine the precise direction from which the sound is coming, anyway. A much better way of finding out whether cars are is to use one's eyes and mirrors, right? Almost all sim racers and every single real life driver in the history of motor racing have managed to race wheel-to-wheel without using a bloody horn to let each other know their position. What deficiency do these few people have?

Just now on the server someone said he used the horn when a lapped car was blocking him, and spamming blue flag messages failed to work. It is my understanding that CTRA has a rule against spamming that worthless blue flag crap, and drivers are fully allowed to race those who use it! Blasting the horn lap after lap is just another form of spam IMO and should be dealt with similarly.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the step of modifying the horn sound files to silence, but I may just go ahead and do it.
horns? I only use them if I'm going to hit them (accidentaly of course)
or if they try to cut me off.
ussaly its not a long honk, just a "toot"
I use my horn and lights and hazards to put off drivers. I think its great!
#4 - SamH
Bearing in mind we deal with this kind of thing normally through the reporting process, the following generally holds true:-

Over-use of the horn is usually accompanied by over-aggressive driving, and frankly it also compounds the penalty. i.e. if someone is reported for over-aggressive driving (failing to concede a corner/dive-bombing without attaining overlap etc), they're likely to pick up a warning. However, if they're sitting on the horn as well, the admin is more likely to issue a caution with a points penalty straight out of the box. As you say, professional drivers can race for entire seasons without feeling the need to lean on a horn (if it's even fitted). There's no difficulty for admins in separating out those who toot for information and those who need a good kicking.
#5 - SamH
Quote from StableX :I use my horn and lights and hazards to put off drivers. I think its great!

Don't get caught! If you can't beat them by driving, you don't deserve their track position. Psyche them out, sure, but do it by a commanding driving performance.
Awesome, thanks for the fast response.
well i use headphones so i can hear sorroundings just well...i don't prefer horns either, cuz i know when someone is next to me , duuh
(for an example: i use my eyes or i hear enginesound comin from side, though it is hard with xfg cuz they don't have a sound...lol)
Just ram 'em off the 'king road.

I mean... Don't ram them off the road. Yes. That was what I was trying to say. Sorry.

I pride myself as a clean driver: after learning the reverse combos and stuff I rarely cause yellows, and lack of aggression costs me a lot of places. I'll let an obviously faster guy pass ahead, no point in making things harder for both.
But the horn drives me instantly nuts. Moreso if the guy using it isn't lapping me.
One toot and I'm going to make it way way harder to get past; two, and short of straight wrecking I'm bringing out all the "dirty" tricks. If you can afford to push some goddamn button while diving to my inside, don't come crying if I leave less space than you'd like at the apex.
Quote from SamH :Don't get caught! If you can't beat them by driving, you don't deserve their track position. Psyche them out, sure, but do it by a commanding driving performance.

when I used to race cars, I'd do the same and its not disallowed in real racing....... if you watch it enough you see in many series (real) people flashing lights at other drivers so they look in the rear view mirror....

its a part of racing and allowed!
I've not read this thread, but I have been informed of some of the contents. I dont have time to read it now, but here is my view on it.

We dont penalise use of the horn because it's a lot of adminning for a comparatively minor thing but we would penalise excessive use of the horn.

As for lights, there are some series which allow use of lights but always it is in particular circumstances. No series allows random flashing of lights to distract a driver, it usually carries a meaning such as "I am in the top 6" or "I am a race leader" or "I am the lead car in that gaggle behind you" etc. Much like the horn in CTRA real life excessive use of lights can lead to an appearance in front of the clerk of the course.
Ban the Horn :elefant: :smash3d: on any server above CTRA 1, or better still ban it altogether it has no place in racing does it?
Quote from Becky Rose :I've not read this thread, but I have been informed of some of the contents. I dont have time to read it now, but here is my view on it.

We dont penalise use of the horn because it's a lot of adminning for a comparatively minor thing but we would penalise excessive use of the horn.

As for lights, there are some series which allow use of lights but always it is in particular circumstances. No series allows random flashing of lights to distract a driver, it usually carries a meaning such as "I am in the top 6" or "I am a race leader" or "I am the lead car in that gaggle behind you" etc. Much like the horn in CTRA real life excessive use of lights can lead to an appearance in front of the clerk of the course.

:Nod: Never once have I heard of a division allowing the horn to be used as a distraction tool. Not saying it's not out there, but if they don they sure don't care to have a professional appearance

I know if I see anyone using their lights or horn in a manner other than a polite way to let other drivers recognize they are on the lead lap they will have a little message waiting for them when they log onto the server again. Not strictly against using it, but you better make sure your using it for the right reasons, and using it as a distraction is not one of them
You know the saying about empty barrels and most noiseSo glad the horning season is finished for the winter.

Joking aside I see no benefit from its use, its annoying and a bit silly, many use the horn as a tool to infuriate and distract a driver in front hoping to get past them, IMO this is not on.
I'm surprised more people haven't overwritten the horns with empty files or just deleted them completely.
Daisy Duke gives me the horn !
Quote from jfgcatalan :I pride myself as a clean driver: after learning the reverse combos and stuff I rarely cause yellows, and lack of aggression costs me a lot of places. I'll let an obviously faster guy pass ahead, no point in making things harder for both.
But the horn drives me instantly nuts. Moreso if the guy using it isn't lapping me.
One toot and I'm going to make it way way harder to get past; two, and short of straight wrecking I'm bringing out all the "dirty" tricks. If you can afford to push some goddamn button while diving to my inside, don't come crying if I leave less space than you'd like at the apex.

Be very cafefull don't let it get to you, if someone is "overusing" the horn just use the $rep feature, thats what others will use if your "dirty tricks" end up with an accident

some people I know do a little toot as they pass if a driver being lapped lets them buy easy, as a thanks very much parp, is that a bad thing? I dont think so.

I would totally agree about the horn IRL theres no place for it in any racing series, and most racecars will have the horn removed to decrease weight (along with everything else thats not needed) but other race cars must be "road legal" and have horns fitted, and again overuse or useing as a distraction would be dissallowed as others have stated.

However with lights its a bit different because in LFS someone behind you flashing does not dazzle or blind you, or put you off like IRL, so unlike the horn you have a choice not to look in the mirror (or not to allow it to bother you?) in LFS I often flash a driver if I know them, and when im the one in front noticing it as I glance back, a little grin appears on my face sometimes Ill flash the hazzard lights once to acknollage the flashing

SD.
#18 - VoiD
Quote from SparkyDave :...some people I know do a little toot as they pass if a driver being lapped lets them buy easy, as a thanks very much parp...

...followed by a warm "Thanx m8"

Quote from SparkyDave :...is that a bad thing? I dont think so....

Of course not!
Quote from Becky Rose :........................

Well look at Lemans 24 hours. They have got a system on board that the car automaticaaly flash their lights to alower racers. It a very clever system. The flashing makes people aware of faster drivers are going to overtake. So i say flashing isnt that annoying.

Unlikely using the horn during race is annoying. I dont use them ever. I never have seen a race were racers horn each other. Althouhg the horn has it use but not during a race.
I dont mind the horns that much but more the stupid tunes people use nowadays for a horn. A police sirene on a racetrack ???
Sorry but that i just dont get.
#20 - SamH
Quote from niels1 :Well look at Lemans 24 hours. They have got a system on board that the car automaticaaly flash their lights to alower racers. It a very clever system. The flashing makes people aware of faster drivers are going to overtake. So i say flashing isnt that annoying.

Quote from SamH :There's no difficulty for admins in separating out those who toot for information and those who need a good kicking.

Quote from Becky Rose :Much like the horn in CTRA real life excessive use of lights can lead to an appearance in front of the clerk of the course.

I've not yet seen anyone flashing their lights excessively while not touching their horn in CTRA.. flashing lights in LFS isn't really a worry. Over-aggressive behaviour is the issue we're talking about, and that's often synonymous with horn-blowing lunacy. It's not the act, it's the excess which is the determining factor in assessing whether someone is in breach of sporting conduct regulations in the CTRA servers. SparkyDave flashing lights to say hello, or pipping his horn to acknowledge another driver, for example.. these are not acts of excessive aggression, and not a matter for CTRA admins
Quote from niels1 :I dont mind the horns that much but more the stupid tunes people use nowadays for a horn. A police sirene on a racetrack ???
Sorry but that i just dont get.

The horns aren't shared online like skins.
For you to hear the siren, you must have downloaded it and replaced an original file.

#22 - SamH
Quote from Bean0 :The horns aren't shared online like skins.
For you to hear the siren, you must have downloaded it and replaced an original file.

ROFL! BUSTED!!
#23 - T!m0
Apart from the situations i hit the horn accidently i only use it if a driver who should let me pass for lapping does not react at all.
maybe I'll change my horn 1 to the sound of angles. it will suduce me like pot in the morning :P
Quote from Bean0 :The horns aren't shared online like skins.

ROFL, no I havent downed them and replaced them. I know you have to it yourselfs. BUt I meant whats the purpose of it ?.

I think they should have taking it off in LFS.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG