The online racing simulator
drive thru penalty vs. repair
(12 posts, started )
Well, I usually don't like "vs." threads .

here we go nevertheless. today I experienced an LFS-behavior of the "oh no, this can't be it" kind:
i was given a drive thru penalty but then was wrecked quite a bit during the lap before I went to the pits. in the pitlane i thought i'd have my car repaired and do the drive-thru next lap.

no way, josé. "no service in this pit"
so actually you're forced to do another lap even with a wrecked car. to be honest: i didn't do an additional lap but reversed after the penalty.

I really don't know how it's handled in real life racing, but I think safety goes first, right? Ok, you can't repair an almost totally wrecked car in a real life pitstop, but think of it as blown tyre or lost wing or even not enough fuel for another lap. I don't really think you'd have to do the drive-thru first under any circumstances... or do you?
Quote from Bandit77 :Well, I usually don't like "vs." threads .

here we go nevertheless. today I experienced an LFS-behavior of the "oh no, this can't be it" kind:
i was given a drive thru penalty but then was wrecked quite a bit during the lap before I went to the pits. in the pitlane i thought i'd have my car repaired and do the drive-thru next lap.

no way, josé. "no service in this pit"
so actually you're forced to do another lap even with a wrecked car. to be honest: i didn't do an additional lap but reversed after the penalty.

I really don't know how it's handled in real life racing, but I think safety goes first, right? Ok, you can't repair an almost totally wrecked car in a real life pitstop, but think of it as blown tyre or lost wing or even not enough fuel for another lap. I don't really think you'd have to do the drive-thru first under any circumstances... or do you?

Interesting.

This appears to be lack of logic in programming. In real life, if you pit for repairs when you owe a drive-thru, the penalty is erased unless the pit stop isn't long enough, in which case they hold the car at the pit exit line for the remainder of the time owed. But most generally, the pit time is longer than the drive-thru. At the worst, some leagues assign a 30 second penalty for all drive thrus, but they can be paid back after the pit stop is completed without the need for an extra lap. But the cars are repaired nevertheless.

There are other things that could be better in LFS. Refueling during a pit stop is one, for example. If you notice, all the tires are changed, the fenders get fixed and refueling is last. Normally, refueling is done at the same time the tires are changed. Unlike real life, there are no 15 second pit stops in LFS when taking four tires and full fuel.
#3 - ajp71
@Indiana Jim - I don't know what series you watch but I've never heard of the penalty time being counted in a normal pitstop, that completely defies the point in a penalty. Whilst sometimes one may be allowed to chose when to do a penalty and possibly work on the car and take a penalty in the same pit visit generally I think it's true to say that in most series you cannot work on the car in a penalty stop and cannot chose to do the penalty next pitstop, there's also normally a limit to how long you can wait (3 laps?).

For LFS I'd suggest that keeping the current system is just right, a drive through is meant to be a punishment after all
In real life if your car was so badly damaged that it was not driveable, then you would be given a Black and Orange flag and forced to retire from the race.
Quote from Bandit77 :I really don't know how it's handled in real life racing, but I think safety goes first, right? Ok, you can't repair an almost totally wrecked car in a real life pitstop, but think of it as blown tyre or lost wing or even not enough fuel for another lap. I don't really think you'd have to do the drive-thru first under any circumstances... or do you?

I can only remember one incident like this in real racing. During the 2003 US GP Montoya was given a drive-through just as it started to rain, he had to take the drive-through first and then do another lap in the wet on slicks before he could come in to change the tyres.
Quote from Indiana Jim :In real life, if you pit for repairs when you owe a drive-thru, the penalty is erased unless the pit stop isn't long enough, in which case they hold the car at the pit exit line for the remainder of the time owed......
(snip)
......There are other things that could be better in LFS. Refueling during a pit stop is one, for example. If you notice, all the tires are changed, the fenders get fixed and refueling is last. Normally, refueling is done at the same time the tires are changed. Unlike real life, there are no 15 second pit stops in LFS when taking four tires and full fuel.

Point 1: You are completely incorrect, name one real life racing series that counts penalty time while work is being done on the car (repair, refuel whatever).

Point 2: Not all racing series allow refuelling at the same time. FIA GT racing I believe cannot refuel while the tyres are being changed or other work is being done on the car (or even swapping drivers). Might even be the other way round, fuel first, then tyres/driver etc.

Some series allow simultaneous refueling yes, I believe this sort of thing will eventually be implemented in LFS.
Quote from count.bazley :I can only remember one incident like this in real racing. During the 2003 US GP Montoya was given a drive-through just as it started to rain, he had to take the drive-through first and then do another lap in the wet on slicks before he could come in to change the tyres.

that sounds very ridiculous... but we all know F1 is sometimes ridiculous. especially considering the fact that the decision for a drive-thru is usually made a random amount of laps after the penalized act.

I can't remember this race at all, but perhaps he just waited too long before doing the drive-thru - I think I read somewhere that you get 3 laps to do it.

Quote from Bandit77 :Ok, you can't repair an almost totally wrecked car in a real life pitstop, but think of it as blown tyre or lost wing or even not enough fuel for another lap.

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :In real life if your car was so badly damaged that it was not driveable, then you would be given a Black and Orange flag and forced to retire from the race.

Yeh sorry I meant that the extra lap you are forced to do in LFS would be illegal, so it makes sense to implement a system that only counts it as a drive through if you don't stop at a pitbox.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Yeh sorry I meant that the extra lap you are forced to do in LFS would be illegal, so it makes sense to implement a system that only counts it as a drive through if you don't stop at a pitbox.

Then what about Stop & Go penalty? You have to stop at pitbox...
Yeah Drive thru and Stop & Go are two different things.

My logic:
If you have been given Drive thru penalty you can go and drive thru pit line and do the pit stop at the same time because you eventually do drive thru the pit line.

Stop & Go is more complicated I think. If you have certain timelimit on Stop & Go and you're going to do the actual pitstop you do this:
Do your pitstop -> wait the timelimit given with the Stop & Go penalty -> go racing.

That is if you are allowed to do your penalties at the same time as pitstops
I guess eventually you won't be able to repair major damage in the pits, and maybe only tyre changes and fuel will be allowed. In that case I guess you would decide what to do in a pitstop on the F12 menu. I would like to have a few slots for set pitstop strategy, so you can just select one on the way into the pits. Or select the 'serve penalty' option.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I guess eventually you won't be able to repair major damage in the pits, and maybe only tyre changes and fuel will be allowed. In that case I guess you would decide what to do in a pitstop on the F12 menu. I would like to have a few slots for set pitstop strategy, so you can just select one on the way into the pits. Or select the 'serve penalty' option.

yeah, slots for some pit-options would be a nice thing. i hate when "they" repair the scratches when all I want is a bit of gas. :irked:

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG