The online racing simulator
How do you know what skins you can use?
(8 posts, started )
Hi all
Can any one use any of the skins posted here or do you need to ask permision first? I'm new to the skinning end of things and haven't been able to find anything on this yet.
If the skin maker hasn't said it's private then you can use it. A lot of people will put 'Private Skin, Do NOT Use' actually on the skin file which says it all.

FTR, all the skins I make and post are public.
Great thanks for the quick response.
A quick check on the skin its self (use a DDS viewer add-on for photoshop to view them) should tell you if its private or not.

Example:
"PRIVATE P!SS OFF" in big letters would be a no no for using lol.
genearaly, i fthe user post a skin file than its public. if there is just a preview then its private.
Quote from mongoosetierney :A quick check on the skin its self (use a DDS viewer add-on for photoshop to view them) should tell you if its private or not.

Example:
"PRIVATE P!SS OFF" in big letters would be a no no for using lol.

Untrue. If you use a dds viewer, then obviously, you are talking about skins from your skins_x folder. These aren't publicly released skins on a forum, they are downloads from lfsworld for you to view while racing. There is usually no way of asking the maker of these skins if you can use it or not unless you know who's it is.

Never use skins from skins_x folder.
I agree with mrodgers.

Although it might be handled a bit differently all over the world; where I come from () everything you create is your intellectual property. So if it's not stated differently, every skin is protected by law. You're not allowed to copy, distribute, alter and stuff.

The meaning of uploading skins to the LFS-database is that others can see YOU with YOUR skin. Anything that goes beyond this needs permission from the creator.

So basically, don't use skins that have nothing written on them about usage.

And if you just LOVE and must have/use a skin - contact the creator (not that complicated). I think you will get a "legal" copy in most cases.
Quote from Bandit77 :
So basically, don't use skins that have nothing written on them about usage.

I disagree with that point. Teazr for example never writes something on his public skinfiles.

So if the author doesnt want that you use the skin he shall write "private" or "do not use" on it.

Basic rules are:

Do not copy, alter, host skins without the permission of the author.

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG