The online racing simulator
Graphics FPS
(51 posts, started )
Graphics FPS
Just ordered a new laptop. Dell Vostro 1000. I know a Dell is pants, and I know a Sempron processor sucks hairy bums, but budgets a budget.

Processor AMD Sempron 3500 1.8GHz
RAM 1GIG DDR2 RAM 533MHz
GFX ATi Radeon 1150 256MB Integrated

I know these questions are continuing and boring.... but what FPS should I expect from this system running XP Pro (deleting Vista straight away....) ?
I have a Fujitsu Amilo Pa2510 with AMD Athlon X2 CPU, 1G RAM, 160G HDD, and ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 128MB and LFS is running fine.

My average FPS is about 50-60, and newer goes under 20 at full grid. I'm using Vista, eats RAM as hell, I dunno what would happen if I would go back to XP... (more FPS??)
my turionX2 1.6Ghz, onboard ATI Radeon 1150 256mb integrated, 21Gb ddr2 RAM, averages, with everything on medium, 20 fps on full grid, 50 on single
It dependes on the graphics settings. I´m sure that LFS configured to the worst grahpic settings can be ran in a Pentium 3 with integrated vga card
Quote from Töki (HUN) :I have a Fujitsu Amilo Pa2510 with AMD Athlon X2 CPU, 1G RAM, 160G HDD, and ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 128MB and LFS is running fine.

My average FPS is about 50-60, and newer goes under 20 at full grid. I'm using Vista, eats RAM as hell, I dunno what would happen if I would go back to XP... (more FPS??)

not really higher fps...just an increase in perfromance with the OS, such as loading up times, i deleted vista on my laptop, got xp, if anything it was actually slower
thanks for all the replies, grateful for anything else anyone wants to add about their fps with similar specs

so looking forward to about 50 fps normal and 25fps full grid ? sounds good to me!!
#7 - Jakg
I'd just like to point out that Vista eats ram, but if an application needs more RAM vista will release a lot of the RAM it has - disable SuperFetch and reboot and the RAM usage will drop dramaticaly, but Vista will get a lot slower.

I've done some tests and XP is faster, both in general usage and gaming, but not by much.

If you really want lots of performance tweaking your OS is a great start, i got my laptop to go from about 58% RAM usage at idle, and just by disable services i never use (ie Tablet stuff and ReadyBoost - it uses 100 mb of RAM even when not in use!) i've dropped that to 37% RAM usage and kept the nice stuff like Aero, Search Indexing & SuperFetch. If you want to take this a stage further, nLite is THE way to go, it takes an XP CD, and then lets you create a custom OS with drivers pre-loaded (handy, but just make sure everything works - the first time i did this, dodgy nVidia drivers caused it to BSOD the second i booted it up for the first time) and various tweaks pre-applied, and remove the crap like extra languages and the like.

Of course i'm sticking with Vista, i've got XP installed, but Vista's growing on me.
Hmm Jakg, I've been meaning to put together a light copy of XP to install on my system, could you maybe shoot some links my way to help me set up such a thing?
~Bryan~
Quote from dropin_biking :Hmm Jakg, I've been meaning to put together a light copy of XP to install on my system, could you maybe shoot some links my way to help me set up such a thing?
~Bryan~

Do some research here, I have personally never used it but have heard good things about it.
Quote from Dennisjr13 :Do some research here, I have personally never used it but have heard good things about it.

It is the best program I ever seen. Windows XP sucks, but thanks to nlite, you can do your perfect OS. There is a Vista version also, called vlite

My XP Pro size is 191mb (CD) and it is 100% functional, so you can make an idea of the amount of rubbish that Windows has. I did my own Vista too, and reduced it to 0.90Gb.
HP Intel 3.06GHz, 140 GB, ATI Xpress 200 Series 256 MB (Crappy Card TBH),

All in all, Sh*t! .1-45 FPS....constantly!
Dude thats not too bad...
As for the nLite stuff, would I feel the difference going from a basic Windows XP SP2 instal to a nice stripped down nlite version with only 256MB of RAM?
~Bryan~
#13 - Jakg
If you've only got 256 MB of RAM? DEFINATELY.

I take it you've optimised your OS? (ie disabled unnecessary services) if so, then you get a massive boost buy not even having any of that crap installed.
# Intel Pentium D 805 Processor
# 2.66GHz, 533MHz FSB, 2MB Cache
# 1024MB DDR RAM
# 160GB Hard Disk Drive
# 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE Graphics

And I'm on around 20-30FPS while driving online with no-one around me Think I've only ever seen it go over 30 and touch 40 once.

Any-one got any ideas how I can squeeze more out of it?
reduce graphics settings in nVidia control panel, or maybe go on LFS>Options>Graphics...reduce the bars which says LOD etc. etc. Close other apps. like MSN etc. should get you maybe 5-10
Im a firm believer of closing everything down before playing any game. Single player or online :P

Will Try the others. Cheers
I'm pretty certain your fps is processor limited, so turning the graphics down shouldn't make a difference, in fact you can probably put it up within reason (steer clear of AA and AF on that card though). I've got a 9600 Pro and 2.8ghz P4, so a slightly better processor and worse graphics card and online with other cars switching from 1024x768 to 1600x1200 doesn't make a noticeable difference, of course offline my fps is entirely GPU dependant.

The only things left to do is reduce multiplayer car draw distance, you'll gain fps by not calculating physics for distant cars but have to put up with increased car pop up. Other than that close background apps and system services. Though really your probably in need of an upgrade in the near future.

EDIT - sorry just realised you're not on a P4 and the 6200 is slower than my 9600 Pro, so my guess would possibly be graphics causing the issue do you get generally bad performance with other games?
well, there is a huge leap from a low Ghz cpu, such as mine which was 2Ghz, but then, when i leaped to 3Ghz, oh boy, 50fps on frame rate, from single player to full grid, but then tried 3.5Ghz for a few mins, about 5fps more on full grid, none on single player really yes, it is the Graphics card though
Yeah Jakg it's all kept clean of course, a lot of useful habits (Cleaning registry, tidy up service list, manage processes, defragging, partitioning, disabling unneeded effects, managing page file..the list goes on) I've been meaning to pick up another stick, because it is pissing me off, but I bet slimming my O/S down from a perfectly kept copy of XP to a stripped down, lighter XP, will free up alot of RAM.
~Bryan~
How many FPS would I get on this rig:

XFX 8800GT 512 MB
2x 1 GB 800 Mhz RAM
21" monitor - 1280x1024
Core 2 Duo (don't know yet, maybe I would overclock it to 3.0 Ghz let's say)

Soo, computer for like less then 900 €.
#21 - Jakg
Enough for you to use 16xAA/16xAF without ever having to worry about frame rates
That's amazing

How about other racing games, like Test Drive, RBR, rFactor?
Quote from Burned Fox :That's amazing

How about other racing games, like Test Drive, RBR, rFactor?

Yes easily. Maybe with not as high FPS, but still more FPS than you'd see anyway.
Quote from Jakg :
Of course i'm sticking with Vista, i've got XP installed, but Vista's growing on me.

Agree there Jakg, same here

Don't know what the fuss is about FSAA..I can understand maxing the AF, but TBH in the sort of resolutions people are playing in (I'm at 1680*1050), the difference AA makes is hardly noticeable.
Sure, If you _WANT_ to run at 640*480, then it will make a difference, but to see jaggies at my resolution I need a bloody microscope!
#25 - Jakg
Your eyes must be crap then - i really hate the way LFS looks with no AA, even at 1680*1050 - not helped by the shimmering my nVidia card tends to give.

Graphics FPS
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG