The online racing simulator
If I had a server....
(21 posts, started )
If I had a server....
It would be RWD all the time.

The cars would change daily.

Open wheelers 4 days a week, every week.

The tracks would change weekly.

It would hold six races every day at opportune times for NA, Eur, and Aus.

The races would be an hour long.

The rest of the time would be practice.

There would not be leagues, but rather all races would be whoever can get in and run.

All race stats would be exported to a supporting website for gloating and weeping.

Beer would be free, hot dogs a quarter.
#2 - ja9ae
Sounds like heaven!

I know if I search I'll probably find this, but I'm at work (and lazy lol) - does anyone know the basic requirements for running a server?

Processor, RAM & outbound bandwidth are the important figures I guess.
and if it were hosting only road cars on any particular day, nobody would join

Perhaps if I call my server "free beer" next time I'll have some more luck.
Quote from ja9ae :Sounds like heaven!

I know if I search I'll probably find this, but I'm at work (and lazy lol) - does anyone know the basic requirements for running a server?

i dont think it matters about Processor or RAM, you will need 256kb upload. the more upload to beter.
or just go here http://www.xtremeservers.co.uk/ rent one £22 a month.
The dedicated server has been reported to run on machines as low spec'ed at 125MHz (mmmm, Pentium Overdrive), if I remember correctly. It apparently does run, although a little chuggy, so I'd shove it on a faster machine - i.e. 300MHz plus, with as much RAM as you can bung on the box. In my opinion the more RAM, the better usually. But again, it depends what platform you're running the thing on. The dedicated server really doesnt need much raw power tbh. All it does is a little sanity checking on packets, and then relays the information back to clients. I've had my home file server (debian on a VIA EPIA-V at 800MHz with 512MB of RAM), running in the past with no issues at all in terms of CPU usage.

In terms of bandwidth, use the bandwidth calculator in LFS. It all depends on number of players, pps, etc. But be warned, it does eat up a lot of upload speed.
Quote from Slartibartfast :It would be RWD all the time.

The cars would change daily.

Open wheelers 4 days a week, every week.

The tracks would change weekly.

It would hold six races every day at opportune times for NA, Eur, and Aus.

The races would be an hour long.

The rest of the time would be practice.

There would not be leagues, but rather all races would be whoever can get in and run.

All race stats would be exported to a supporting website for gloating and weeping.

Beer would be free, hot dogs a quarter.

Someone give this man a server!
Quote from ja9ae :Sounds like heaven!

you can also check out http://www.race-hosting.net (€ 20,-- fo a 23 slot server per month...)

btt:
i got a server which is not used for special things anymore...
so, post suggestion what i should set up on this dedi
doesnt matter wrong thread
Quote from tristancliffe :Someone give this man a server!

The problem is, unless it was automated with a huge bash/batch script, of some kind, most people would get pissed off administrating the server so extensively. It would be like me having to reconfigure one of my customer's 2003 SBS servers everytime they wanted to use it. Servers should require a reasonable amount of setup time, after that a minimal maintenance shedule
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
isn't it possible to have the administation (Change of Cars Track etc.) done by a weekly schedule with inSim Protocol? I am not the man to do this, but is it possible? Would be a nice goodie for a lot of people i guess...

One of our teammates is hosting servers on Linux machines under Wine, I think its 20 Eur a month...check www.powie.de
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
i'm currently developing a huge RemoteControl System with such fueatures...
currently a remotecontrol tool exists for clients of race-hosting.net (LFS:RemoteControl).

but i also considered such things (changing car/track etc. automatically)...

so be patient....
a beta maybe will be there in december
First thing that came to mind when I saw the topic:

"If I had a server, ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum"

:doh:
Quote from tristancliffe :Someone give this man a server!

He needs to get a Broadband conection to the internet frist.

Slarty get off yer arse and get Broadband!

I will skip the open wheel days but the other 3 sound like fun. I am having more fun in the RAC now then the FZR.
Well... aaaaactually....

I'm finishing up a project right now that's worth a few bucks. Payday is coming, and no one leaves here with the masters until I'm paid in full. (On the other hand, I have a closet full of finished product that no one has paid for, or heard for that matter.)

So....

If I get paid, I'm getting me two new monster computers. Then I will have two 1.4 gig Athlons with a half gig O' ram each just sitting. Doing nothing. Unless I make them into a server or something. (On the other hand, it takes me two full days to install a USB keyboard.)

Then...

I'm getting broadband. I'll ask here about what the killer-diller modem is, buy that, spend a week yelling at it, then I'll be hooked up sorta like you guys. (On the other hand, I live in Podunk, New Mexico and the only thing available is DSL from a VERY questionable telnet company that has a pair of sweat deals in the only two states left that allow them to run roughshod all over their paying *customers*. Can you say, "monopoly"?)

So...

We'll see.

I'm liking the news about automation.
Quote from CrazyICE :i'm currently developing a huge RemoteControl System with such fueatures...
currently a remotecontrol tool exists for clients of race-hosting.net (LFS:RemoteControl).

but i also considered such things (changing car/track etc. automatically)...

so be patient....
a beta maybe will be there in december

Sounds cool Crazy - can we assume its being written in .NET?
Quote from the_angry_angel :Sounds cool Crazy - can we assume its being written in .NET?

no, i'm sorry, but maybe on eof the next versions!
PC Hardware is here, had a little (18 hour) session to try and get my self used to the game... got distracted and spent most of it in an LX6, spending the first 10 hours going backwards into the barriers. God it was fun!

I quick scout around the house reveals enough PC power & bandwidth for 2 possibly 3 dedicated servers - so expect to see servers wearing the GothamProjects tags soon! (One may be LX only, I had so much fun!).

I have no idea how to administer one, so some documentation hunting might be in order too
Slarty, you have PM....
Quote from Slartibartfast :

I'm getting broadband. I'll ask here about what the killer-diller modem is, buy that, spend a week yelling at it, then I'll be hooked up sorta like you guys. (On the other hand, I live in Podunk, New Mexico and the only thing available is DSL from a VERY questionable telnet company that has a pair of sweat deals in the only two states left that allow them to run roughshod all over their paying *customers*. Can you say, "monopoly"?)

Curious, I just moved to NM (I'm at UNM) and got the Comcast cable modem. Throughput isn't all that great, but it beats DSL and the pings are excellent. Costs me 120 bucks a semester...fairly cheap. I've had a bunch of ISPs over the years, and I'd say there uptime is typical. One period it was down for three days, but it wasn't their fault (Uni wouldn't give them access to the dorm to fix a problem)

Why are you going to go with DSL?
Quote from skiingman :Curious, I just moved to NM (I'm at UNM) and got the Comcast cable modem. Throughput isn't all that great, but it beats DSL and the pings are excellent. Costs me 120 bucks a semester...fairly cheap. I've had a bunch of ISPs over the years, and I'd say there uptime is typical. One period it was down for three days, but it wasn't their fault (Uni wouldn't give them access to the dorm to fix a problem)

Hey, Skiingman! I work at Santa Fe Ski Basin in the winters. That means I get passes and rentals and stuff. We should have an LFS party on the snow. (Without the LFS.) It would be cool to meet another LFSer in person. (Although I am probably older than most of your proffesors.)

Quote : Why are you going to go with DSL?

To the east, 75 yards from me, across hwy. 528 is serviced by Comcast. Everything east of 528 from Alameda to Bernalillo is in fact serviced. 250 yards from me to the south, across the arroyo is service by Comcast. Everything south of the arroyo is in fact serviced by Comcast. 2 miles north, service. West, nothing. I mean nothing. Desert to Gallup.

When I call Comcast and ask when my neighborhood might be included, they chuckle and say things like, "Don't hold your breath."

I'm stuck with US Quest and they signed a deal with a former governer when the federal laws were much more relaxed and pretty much have this place tied up. Their lousiest DSL is as much as Comcast. The next step up is highway robbery, and the prices sky rocket from there.

Because they can.
Quote from Slartibartfast :
When I call Comcast and ask when my neighborhood might be included, they chuckle and say things like, "Don't hold your breath."

I'm stuck with US Quest and they signed a deal with a former governer when the federal laws were much more relaxed and pretty much have this place tied up. Their lousiest DSL is as much as Comcast. The next step up is highway robbery, and the prices sky rocket from there.

Because they can.

Yeah...that really sucks. I have a friend in upstate NY thats run into the same issue.

I'm all for the LFS-on-snow! Never been to Santa Fe Ski Basin, just went to Taos last weekend for some early season turns.

If I had a server....
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG