The online racing simulator
French public transport strikes - Any alternative transport suggestions
I'm heading to France tomorrow, for a job interview. I was advised to take public transport, however I've come to notice that there's a bit of a problem with it at the moment. Being a dick I sorted my flight last week, but didn't bother planning the travel around Paris as I thought I could rely on ratp.fr to help me plan it. However, since the strikes they seem to have shutdown parts of the website. This doesn't help me.

So, in short if public transport is down tomorrow (Friday) what would be the best way to get from Charles De Gaulle airport to Velizy, and back again? If possible I want to avoid the expense of hiring a car, but I realise that this may not be possible.

Can any Parisians / anyone provide any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Well don't worry because the strikes are today, and not tomorrow!
I was under the impression that they may extend them

As much as I'm a bit slow off the mark on this one, I tend to like to have an escape / backup plan if required. In a country where I don't speak the language I want one even more so
I searched a bit and nothing points that the strikes will be extended. The services are rather cooperative and informative.
Here's a couple of sites you can look out for developments:

For the Rer, which is normally all you need. You'll have to take the Rer B till St Michel Notre Dame, and then the Rer C till Velizy.
http://www.transilien.com/web/site/accueil/etat-trafic

General info on the strikes:
http://www.abcdtrain.com/

And the classic ratp info which is more detailed than I hoped it would be:
http://www.ratp.fr/

Anyway I wouldn't worry, I'm pretty sure there won't be any problems tomorrow. You can't immobilize a city for more than 1 day.

I'm more worried about me since I have to walk from Montmartre to the center of Paris on foot with a 7 kilo instrument on my back today...and I'm afraid not many people will be present at the concert because of the problems.

Anyway, I couldn't think of any worthy alternatives...either a taxi, that will cost you one month's salary of your new job if you get it, or a Velib (rent-a-bicycle) .

Good luck!
Paranoid Android, you're a bloodly star - thank you very very much

Good luck with the 7 kilo instrument transportation
Quote from Paranoid Android :Well don't worry because the strikes are today, and not tomorrow!

Because we do!
It's seems that the bus and the subway will work but for the train...

I guess the best would be a cab if you can get one

Edit: I couldn't go to work today and I 'm pissed :chairs:
Quote from Maelstrom :Edit: I couldn't go to work today and I'm pissed :chairs:

Yes, I bet you can't live with yourself, getting a free day off.

Karl - what job you applying to the requires an interview in France? You going to work over there? Good luck.
Quote from Bob Smith :Yes, I bet you can't live with yourself, getting a free day off.

Karl - what job you applying to the requires an interview in France? You going to work over there? Good luck.

I will have to catch up . It means just more work later and 1 days of salary lost.
Quote from Maelstrom :Because we do!
It's seems that the bus and the subway will work but for the train...

Just to check, is that today or tomorrow?

Quote from Bob Smith :Yes, I bet you can't live with yourself, getting a free day off.

Lucky bastard, if you ask me

Quote from Bob Smith : Karl - what job you applying to the requires an interview in France? You going to work over there? Good luck.

Linux sysadmin for Blizzard Entertainment I've had 2 phone interviews and now I'm off for an in-person one.. Not sure if I want the job, if I even get offered it, as I've had about month or so between the first phone interview and now, which has given me time to really think about it. That said, I might get there and decide it's what I really want based on the office environment, etc. and to hell with the whole living-in-paris-and-not-speaking-French issue! I'd at least never forgive myself I didn't at least go
Quote from the_angry_angel :Just to check, is that today or tomorrow?

Lucky bastard, if you ask me

Linux sysadmin for Blizzard Entertainment I've had 2 phone interviews and now I'm off for an in-person one.. Not sure if I want the job, if I even get offered it, as I've had about month or so between the first phone interview and now, which has given me time to really think about it. That said, I might get there and decide it's what I really want based on the office environment, etc. and to hell with the whole living-in-paris-and-not-speaking-French issue! I'd at least never forgive myself I didn't at least go

Tomorrow
At least then there'd be one person working for Blizz who knew what they were doing /whine :P

Hope you get the job (offer).
Quote from Maelstrom :I will have to catch up . It means just more work later and 1 days of salary lost.

Yeah, Bob, where do you work that if you can't get to work, you get the day off for free?

Though, I don't lose pay from not making it when it's out of my control, I still have to burn up a vacation day or sick day at a time I don't want to take one.
From what they were saying tonight there should be train working but not completely. I guess something like 1 train over 3!
The safest way is to get in a cab
Quote from ldriver :The safest way is to get in a cab

I was thinking that, but it's a bloodly long way

Because I'm a moron, I've decided to rent a car! Watch out Paris!

(If you see someone squashed into a peugeot 107, looking very lost and worried, then it's probably me )

Thank you for all the advice guys, it's really, really appreciated :up:
Best of luck mate, with the interview as well as the left-hand driving!

Do tell the conclusion! (How many casualties and whether you got the job).
Quote from (SaM) :Best of luck mate, with the interview as well as the left-hand driving!

Do tell the conclusion! (How many casualties and whether you got the job).

If he hit a railwayman he got a free meal in the restaurant of his choice
Quote from (SaM) :Best of luck mate, with the interview as well as the left-hand driving!

Left hand driving wasn't too bad actually. Driving and not getting lost was a bigger problem than I imagined as I had no satnav and no navigator or map, and only some vague instructions . I ditched the car eventually and got a, very expensive, taxi to their offices - just in time.

Unfortunately I got slapped with a NDA, so I can't reveal too much, but suffice to say it's a cool office, and I get to hear what they thought of me within a week or two Think it went pretty well though!

http://theangryangel.co.uk/ind ... -in-person-interview.html if anyone fancies the full write up (you can get more, non-techy related stuff, out of me, if you get me drunk in a quiet pub )

Thanks for the kind words and help btw guys, I really appreciate it

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG