The online racing simulator
fixed setups (iroc style)
(30 posts, started )
#1 - AJ259
i think it would be cool if we could setup servers to race the same setups (fixed setups).like iroc (international race of champions)where all drive same setup car,then it would be more on the driver skill than the setups.i think it would have to be 1 setup that we all could pratice with and only be able to adjust the amount of gas u take.and when u join the server u can only use that setup.in nascar 2003 there were alot of fixed setup racers.
#2 - AJ259
wow no one has anything to say about this?i am shocked lol
is it a good idea or not???
Has been suggested many times on RSC.

It certainly has its uses.
But it certainly has it's issues too...
exactly, it may make it even for everyone but it can prevent people from driving the way that they like to drive.
That's way it should be an option

That way people can choose...
#7 - (SaM)
If it's an option people wont use it because most they prefer their own setups.. making it an option is just about useless.
And, the setup the server uses might be a setup someone familiar with the admin has driven hundreds of laps with while the other racer never tried it before, wich gives an unfair advantage..
#8 - J.B.
Fixed setups would be a nice option for "arrive 'n' drive" racing and I'm sure that it would be helpful to newbies to not have to worry about setups and just be able to concentrate on driving instead.

With fixed, well balanced setups for example I would probably more often join servers running track/car combos that are completely new to me.
#9 - Vesa
Would also be sweet to hold a factory league with everyone having to drive the same car/setup. Was just thinking today if this has been mentioned. Obviously has on many occasions.
#10 - Vain
I also like the idea. But purely for organized races in leagues, because there are a lot leagues in reality that have fixed setups.

Vain
somethings should be left adjustable but maybe an option to force everyone to use the same suspension/downforce/ gear ratios and lsd would be interesting.
Quote from Gabkicks :somethings should be left adjustable but maybe an option to force everyone to use the same suspension/downforce/ gear ratios and lsd would be interesting.

Agreed. Brakes, steering lock, etc are all driver specific. Also, anti-roll bars are adjustable, and so should remain adjustable.

I wonder if one day the real-time setup adjustments will be limited in values. Right now we can go from fully hard to fully soft, but irl the range of adjustment is quite a narrow window around the 'garage' setting.
Quote from snewham :exactly, it may make it even for everyone but it can prevent people from driving the way that they like to drive.

Isn't that part of the fun tho?? Adapting, the best drivers should be able to adapt, they may not like it but that doesn't mean that they wont be quick. Its like when Philos gave me his AS Club setup, it had less downforce than I was use to but I've kept using it and I set a new PB of 51.77 last night.

I think it could be good for a leauge and the odd race. So if it was to be implemented and it was a serverside option i wouldn't have any complaints.

Andy.
That certainly was not/is not the case in nascar 2003...it was very mixed as to fixed setups or not, and it made for some fun racing, and two differnt types of racing..
yeah i am all for setups.... but sometimes mates who dont have as much time to race as me wanna play but always moan that ill win coz of my setups so sometimes fixed setups would be good... it certainly suited nascar but dont think it will suit lfs...
lol, have you ever even watched nascar? them using the same setups??!
What do you think about this solution:

4 cars should be added, where only some rudimental things can be changed in the setup like what was already mentioned in this thread.

1 slow car, 1 fast street car, 1 racing car and one fun car.
(like XFG, UFR, FXR and MRT)
In reality ive noticed nr2003 setups are much differnt from person to person than in LFS more than the other way around. That could be because the lfs cars are more street based and dont have as many tiney finute adjustments, but i dunno...i still think it would a good idea for LFS too
Quote from DodgeRacer :In reality ive noticed nr2003 setups are much differnt from person to person than in LFS more than the other way around. That could be because the lfs cars are more street based and dont have as many tiney finute adjustments, but i dunno...i still think it would a good idea for LFS too

any adjustment you make makes difference to lfs setups.. one you find a setup you feel confortable with you can really fine tune it so that when you change anything ...the slightiest changes make massive differences
Quote from Madman_CZ :any adjustment you make makes difference to lfs setups.. one you find a setup you feel confortable with you can really fine tune it so that when you change anything ...the slightiest changes make massive differences

but not particularly differences you can feel, specially in a road car, because the underpinning handling characteristics of the car show through before hand...

This is why i think it should definatly be an option, because some people may not like being forced to use someones setup at all because it wouldnt fit their driving style at all, but then again some servers could use more of a "basic race setup" that isnt necesairly the fastest, but is generaly comfortable, just creates two very differnt forms of racing...and I would most definatly enjoy both, just like in nr
the easy solution would be to limit it to the default setups only "hard track" or "rallycross"

they are base neutral kind of setups that aren't really good at anything, but not too bad all round.
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :the easy solution would be to limit it to the default setups only "hard track" or "rallycross"

they are base neutral kind of setups that aren't really good at anything, but not too bad all round.

hmm, maybe Race_1 and Rally_1, because hard track and rallycross are pretty bad...but limiting it could be a good way to go
Quote from Vesa :Would also be sweet to hold a factory league with everyone having to drive the same car/setup. Was just thinking today if this has been mentioned. Obviously has on many occasions.

Are you serious about that, because I hope somebody is! I would sign up straight away!

If no-one else wants to do it, maybe I will organise if enough people are interested?
#24 - Vesa
Quote from branney :Are you serious about that, because I hope somebody is! I would sign up straight away!

If no-one else wants to do it, maybe I will organise if enough people are interested?

Yes i'm serious. Haven't got time or resources to put up a league myself, but i'd definately be interested.
#25 - Woz
Quote from DodgeRacer :hmm, maybe Race_1 and Rally_1, because hard track and rallycross are pretty bad...but limiting it could be a good way to go

The fixed setup should be Bob's easy race setup. They are not the fastest but would give some great racing.

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG