The online racing simulator
fixed setups (iroc style)
(30 posts, started )
I'm also for the fixed setup option. I didn't always love the idea, but i'm
liking it more and more. It just removes some of the variables from the
equation, putting every car on the same level as some have said.

It would be welcome from time to time to have some fixed setup races in
those formula cars, i only race occasionally and seem to waste the most of
this time setting up the car to a track...once that is done, i ALWAYS have to
redo it as i always seem to be 2-3 seconds off-pace once i get used to my
setup. I always seem to goof up on something somewhere making others
slightly faster. Gearing, diff and tire pressure in perticular, are becomming
a chore more than anything for me. I mean, if i had good and fast tools to
help me, suure, but right now, there is not enough logical relationship (read:
imperfect physics..) to actually get a good understanding of the workings of
all the setup options. They don't all follow real life experience/knowledge.
ok, anyone interested please PM me the following:

1. 3 favourite cars, in order of preference
2. favourite track
3. favourite race length (for all tracks, not just the track given for answer 2)
4. what time zone you live in

we can discuss which setup to use once cars and tracks are chosen, if there is enough interest
Quote from Woz :The fixed setup should be Bob's easy race setup. They are not the fastest but would give some great racing.

i like the sound of this. i'm assuming he has made an easy to drive setup for each car? if not, which cars are covered? and are they general setups to suit all tracks? or are there variants?
Quote from branney :i like the sound of this. i'm assuming he has made an easy to drive setup for each car? if not, which cars are covered? and are they general setups to suit all tracks? or are there variants?

The cars covered are (currently) only the cars with road tyres (I know, all the "boring ones" ). There is only one setup per car atm, but it shouldn't work badly on any configurable. Obviously you're welcome to adjust camber or gearing particular tracks. But the idea was general setups. I've been meaning to include some of the proper racecars in the pack, but I'm down on tracktime with these types of cars by about two years, so am still narrowing down what makes them tick. I'll have another stab at them tomorrow.

Also the wings need to be completely different depending on the track, so for cars with downforce it's impossible to make a single set that will work well on any track. Perhaps I'll do a high and a low downforce set for each car, at least that way people will have some immediate choice.
Quote from Bob Smith :The cars covered are (currently) only the cars with road tyres (I know, all the "boring ones" ). There is only one setup per car atm, but it shouldn't work badly on any configurable. Obviously you're welcome to adjust camber or gearing particular tracks.

fair enough to adjust some things on the race cars, but on the road cars it would be good to leave everything fixed, IMHO.

if the gears are too long, you have to take the corner faster so as not to lose revs. if they are too short for on the straight, you have to take advantage of drafting.

if the camber is making the tyres heat unevenly on a particular track, you have to choose whether to adjust your driving, or make an extra pitstop. would add some variety i think!

Quote from Bob Smith :Perhaps I'll do a high and a low downforce set for each car, at least that way people will have some immediate choice.

that seems a good workaround!

fixed setups (iroc style)
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG