The online racing simulator
#1 - Rick.
mid race joins, hate it!
I like it for me but arg, why do people join mid race and try to pass so aggressively? Me I wait for a big break in the race line and if i hit traffic i pit usually rather than risk interfering.

But lately it's been a fast car joining mid, and just trying to get by. Now I'm not fast but I am trying to gain on the car before me. If I let the guy pass because he's faster, I lose time. That doesn't seem right. Do I have to yield to a clearly faster car that's joining mid race?
#2 - Jakg
No, you don't - a mid-race joiner is not meant to interfere in the race irrespective of respective speeds - they get a big message on their screens telling them this...
Well the way I see it anyone who pits out mid race is not in the race so should stay the hell aways from the one's who are, I keep seeing what you describe over and over again and I'm talking about LFS in general not CTRA.

Another case of the "me me me" mentality that some drivers who lap fast seem to have.
#4 - SamH
I see it on all servers too, but on CTRA servers it's explicitly against server rules to interfere with the race in progress if you've joined mid-race. Please use the reporting function if it happens on CTRA servers.
it is so annoying having mid race joiners fight to get past and even end up taking yo8u out, and the have agreed to let racers be by pressing the big i agree when they first join the server
#6 - FL!P
Well, I reported someone yesterday for just doing that, so it's not like we cannot do anything about it.
#7 - Rick.
I agree it can be reported, but still being a bit new I'm reluctant until I come here to check if I am actually wrong.

I'm not that good and maybe they think they can just pass without incident, but a car on my butt still causes me to make stupid mistakes, I psych myself out!

Maybe the lfs guys will come up with a new feature where mid race joiners all appear to real racers as ghosts and not harm can be done! Well maybe not.
Quote from Rick. :I'm not that good and maybe they think they can just pass without incident, but a car on my butt still causes me to make stupid mistakes, I psych myself out!

true, i had/have your problem too at least sometimes, even on the relaxed cruise servers, when i join a race for money, i get so excited, my heart feels like hopping out my throat.
But then, staying behind a equaly fast car proves race-sensitivity and a cool head.
It builds up pressure on the leading driver, which is a common tactic in motorsport.
Try to relax and ignore the follower, even if he slightly disturbs your lines, you can't say anything about it.
After all the small collisions just happen in a competition.
U'll soon feel better and get more confident after you !stayed! with someone else in close driving

So wash your hands, buckle the seatbelt, and join the madness...

regards
#9 - SamH
Quote from Rick. :a car on my butt still causes me to make stupid mistakes, I psych myself out!

You're not at all alone in this.. I'd go as far as to say mastery of this thing is exceedingly important, as you learn to race against others. Someone who is laps down, however, should not be of concern to you.. so getting on top of that is paramount. I recommend using them as a training tool

Having someone sliding up and down your rear bumper is par for the course in motor racing (sim included) and getting control of your "psyche", keeping your cool, and ultimately mastering defensive driving is just as important as driving quickly over all. In fact, defending your position without losing overall speed is most essential because it's easier to defend well while losing ground on the cars in front. Once you can drive both defensively AND attack at the same time, you're a candidate for any race win.
Quote from FL!P :Well, I reported someone yesterday for just doing that, so it's not like we cannot do anything about it.

yeah tbo i am gonna start reporting people for it
Quote from SamH :You're not at all alone in this.. I'd go as far as to say mastery of this thing is exceedingly important, as you learn to race against others. Someone who is laps down, however, should not be of concern to you.. so getting on top of that is paramount. I recommend using them as a training tool

Having someone sliding up and down your rear bumper is par for the course in motor racing (sim included) and getting control of your "psyche", keeping your cool, and ultimately mastering defensive driving is just as important as driving quickly over all. In fact, defending your position without losing overall speed is most essential because it's easier to defend well while losing ground on the cars in front. Once you can drive both defensively AND attack at the same time, you're a candidate for any race win.

Good stuff Sam. I enjoyed that little read
when sam writes an essay he wreally writes alot dont he, lol only joking sam, we should call you the pholosifer(sp)
Bumpity bump!
Old thread but didn't want to make a new one.

I think mid race joining should be removed from CTRA servers.

There is nothing to gain from it. All you do is add another danger on the track. Not least of all the fast guys who start passing everybody.

Why can't people just wait for the few minutes it takes for the previous race to end? Go get a cup of tea. Recalibrate your wheel. Play with yourself. Anything! I don't understand why people are so impatient.
Are people joining mid race becomming a problem again? They should by now know that they shouldnt interfere with cars that are racing.

please stop this discussion... its just boring....

there´s no problem at all, at least on the server i drive.

its absolutly needed to get a little pratice before joining your
first race and to "work" on your setups.

if there is any problem, report it and stop whining.... i really can´t read this anymore....
/me drops in

I'm against the removal of mid-race joining. It is common in series around the world, for example...

US motorsports: CART/Champ Car: Toronto 1997, Franchitti gets nerfed at turn one by Herta, goes to the pits, the car is repaired, he comes out several laps down.

NASCAR: Cars go 'behind the wall' for repairs and emerge back onto the track. AFAIK a championship was clinched this way

ALMS/Grand Am Sportscars: The ability for the cars to go to the garage and rejoin the race is written in the rulebooks of both series,

European/Russian motorsports:
Le Mans: See ALMS/Grand Am section
Touring Cars: They don't, AFAIK have a ruling on this...correct me if I'm wrong

Australian/NZ motorsports:
V8 Supercars: As with Nascar/ALMS/Le Mans, cars go into the garage for repairs.
ah yes but in those cases the drivers started the race, i must say i have made several reports bout this cos it really pisses me off sometimes, mainly when they a start fighting as if it was for posision, that really gets up my goat
Quote from james12s :ah yes but in those cases the drivers started the race, i must say i have made several reports bout this cos it really pisses me off sometimes, mainly when they a start fighting as if it was for posision, that really gets up my goat

What about sportscar drivers who take over during pitstops for instance? Or relief drivers in NASCAR/open wheelers?

DK
I don't think it should be disallowed, it provides a great opportunity to calculate fuel, get set up, and get a couple of laps practice.

Those who cause problems when mid race joining (a rarety these days thanks to CTRA) need to be educated. If they don't want to be educated, they don't belong on the CTRA servers, simple as that.
i do see what your saying and im not saying it should be dissallowed but mabye the rules tightened
#21 - SamH
A mid-race joiner is absolutely forbidden from getting in the way of drivers in the current race (unless they spam blue flag messages).. and they get constant and repeated notifications of the fact that the person behind them must be allowed through. Exactly how do you propose tightening the rule??
I have an idea.

The X-System already shows the waved blue flag message, right? Well, how about giving time penalties if the joiner doesn't move over after say...3 waved blue flags. That wouldn't be too hard to code, would it, as the X-System already knows which car you have to give way to, or equally give a penalty to the car in the race if he/she is too agressive and goes for a gap that isn't there?

Also, can the waved blue flag messages be seen by people who don't use the hud and block messages? Just curious. If/when I get my move sorted out, I'll test. Seattle FTW!

EDIT: Idea #2

Again this would need a few (hopefully!) lines of code added to the X-system. But it should be bulletproof. It'd work something like this:

Midrace joiners would get a variable attached to their ID/car name/racer hame, let's call it 'mrj' for argument's sake. The system would be set up so that all cars with that tage are automatically not classified in the race, leaving the cars that took the start, to race on as normal. But when the winner crosses the line, the system calculates the results, and puts the joiners a MINIMUM of n+1 laps down, where n is the number of laps behind the slowest car that took the start is. This is to avoid a joiner beating a car that got lapped by (for example) being slow.

DK
#23 - SamH
Sounds nice, but it's no more reliable than yellow flag stats and we can't apply automation to it because of that. It comes down to drivers racing responsibly, and responsible drivers reporting those that don't drive responsibly. The system we have now is better, IMO, than preventing mid-race joiners and better than those that allow it without restriction. It's a good mechanism, as long as everyone uses the system as it should be used - whether they be mid-race joiners or drivers raising reports.
Yes Sam, but can you rely on drivers reporting mid-race joiners correctly, and mid-race joiners getting out of the way in time, and the racers recognising when it is safe to pass?

DK
#25 - SamH
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Yes Sam, but can you rely on drivers reporting mid-race joiners correctly, and mid-race joiners getting out of the way in time, and the racers recognising when it is safe to pass?

DK

No more, nor no less, than we can rely on people turning up to race at all. We can make the knives and forks, but we can't stop people eating with their fingers

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG