The online racing simulator
sparks and more "action"
(25 posts, started )
sparks and more "action"
ok there's this video clip on youtube.. (always watching it)

there are some slo mo parts and when i watch lfs slo mo vids and this one... lfs is just....boring
just watch it and judge for yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUAE-819OG4

AND WHERE ARE THE DTM CARS IN LFS
First off, what a great vid.

Those old BMW E30's and Merc 190 Cossie's still look and sound great.
Secondly, there's a section at 4mins where they're running on what looks like public roads, is that Bremgarten ?
Thirdly, not heard Jimmy Summerville and the Communards for years and years, wonder what ever became of them ?

As to your suggestion, the eye candy and all. Yeah it would improve the immersive quality of LFS, but, at the cost of loosing a large number of us running with borderline spec PC's. All that kind of stuff just takes up too many resources on our all ready stressed equipment. It would be great i'll admit, as would a huge graphics overhaul of the whole game.

This sort of stuff probably will be on Scawens to-do list, but it's more likely a long long way into the future, there's so much other stuff that needs doing first.

Welcome to LFS btw, have fun

p.s if its action you're looking for, you probably won't find it in a cruise server , try some of the proper race servers e.g CTRA 1
Don't know if that would be Bremgarten Mazz, Switzerland banned circuit racing in the '50s after a crash that killed a driver and dozens of spectators (it was at Le Mans iirc). Although, I think the Swiss recently repealed that ban (or were at least considering it. Swiss people, help me out here ). I grant you though, it does kinda look like Bremgarten ...

Ditto the "proper race server" call :up: Puttering around at the speed limit isn't something I'd call "action"
There's a plethora of little things like sparks / better smoke etc that would probably take a couple of hours of work that would make LFS a LOT more visually interesting... Then there's things like brake fade that would probably be a week of work (how hard can it be, really... friction/heat/cooling/dynamic max force, perhaps wear, just like tires which we already have but less complex) that would add A LOT to the experience as well, esp in events like the Master of Endurance etc. Someday some of these things may or may not come to pass.

Nice video.

And welcome to LFS!
developers have a pretty big to do list
Quote :Switzerland banned circuit racing in the '50s after a crash that killed a driver and dozens of spectators (it was at Le Mans iirc)

Yes, they did, it was after a Mercedes ran off the track in the 24 Heures du Mans and hit a large group of spectators. The rest of the world mourned, Switzerland banned racing outright, and subjected everywhere to its blanket speed limits. I think this is still in action today, and the Swiss Touring Cars used to have to run in Germany and Belgium - not sure about now.

As for the topic at hand, the only argument against adding something like this is that people with lower-spec machines don't need to give their systems anything more to process at once - but you can answer this by attaching it to the LoD setting, so that those with powerful machines can get the immersion, without hindering those without. Why not? +1

Sam
Quote from Dark Elite :Yes, they did, it was after a Mercedes ran off the track in the 24 Heures du Mans and hit a large group of spectators. The rest of the world mourned, Switzerland banned racing outright, and subjected everywhere to its blanket speed limits. I think this is still in action today, and the Swiss Touring Cars used to have to run in Germany and Belgium - not sure about now.

As for the topic at hand, the only argument against adding something like this is that people with lower-spec machines don't need to give their systems anything more to process at once - but you can answer this by attaching it to the LoD setting, so that those with powerful machines can get the immersion, without hindering those without. Why not? +1

Sam

Good way to tell it, agree with the LoD setting possibility.

+ 1 to the idea in post 1.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Then there's things like brake fade that would probably be a week of work (how hard can it be, really... friction/heat/cooling/dynamic max force, perhaps wear, just like tires which we already have but less complex)

Then you'd have to add brakeduct adjustments for some of the cars which would also be part of the aerodynamics and since you'd have to change the way aerodynamics are calculated and also make sure there is no way someone could cheat by altering a value (like the handbrake cheat)... etc

Quote from maxelmar :there are some slo mo parts and when i watch lfs slo mo vids and this one... lfs is just....boring

Maybe I'm an optimist but what I saw was that LFS's tyre deformation really adds a lot to the believability of the way cars move.

Quote from Mazz4200 :As to your suggestion, the eye candy and all. Yeah it would improve the immersive quality of LFS, but, at the cost of loosing a large number of us running with borderline spec PC's.

Well, like the other, limited for now, eyecandy that LFS has it could also be toggle-able or adjustable ("particle effects on/off").
Quote from Mazz4200 :looks like public roads, is that Bremgarten

... ha. I couldn't believe you we're talking about that town just a couple of miles down the road from here.
Has there ever been some racing? Wonder where.

Do you guys really want sparks in LFS?
I'd rather have sky-rocketing GTs in reality, doing funny flips (I expected them around 5:45 in the clip).

naaah, just kidding.

+1
Quote from xaotik :Then you'd have to add brakeduct adjustments for some of the cars which would also be part of the aerodynamics and since you'd have to change the way aerodynamics are calculated and also make sure there is no way someone could cheat by altering a value (like the handbrake cheat)... etc

Fine, 12 days
Quote : there are some slo mo parts and when i watch lfs slo mo vids and this one... lfs is just....boring

Well, slo mo in general should be more boring than realtime, but I've found Don's slo mo vids really interesting, especially noticing the tire deformations. Replays in LFS look more realistic than other sims I've played (RBR could be an exception, but I think that's just fancy camera work). GTR2 replays are especially artificial and awkward looking.

I'm sure sparks and other things will come in time, as well as better damage/models/lighting/textures/physics/particles/sounds/effects/time accelerated rusting, etc.
The long slo-mo replays are only interesting for people who understand what's happening. People who know to look for the tyre flex (although on some cars the amount of flex is a bit much), body roll and suspension effects. And if you do, it's pretty impressive.

But it won't sell the sim to people who don't already like it.

That's why I think we need these little effects and they need to be done well. Just like having a little more stuff happening around the tracks themselves - moving crowds (3D models too, because crowd sprites look horrible) and the like.
It's all good, I have full confidence in Scawen and the lads. Their product is amazing so far, and I can't see them screwing anything up now or disappointing us.
Quote from Bandit77 :... ha. I couldn't believe you we're talking about that town just a couple of miles down the road from here.
Has there ever been some racing? Wonder where.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_Bremgarten
To be honest i only know it from plodding around it in GPL, it's a great track though.
Anyway, i saw your so called "pun" in the other thread about the greatest marque in motoring, my beloved Maserati, so i'm keeping a weary eye on you buddy

@xaotik never thought about the "particle on/off" option, good point that.

@Hankster Yeah, i had forgotten about the tight arsed Swiss regulations. I've been searching the DTM history books to try to find out where it is, but i've still not found it. My best guess is the Salzburgring but i don't think that's right ?. Got me stumped this one ??
Very nice suggestion. =)
The 90's produced some of the most beautiful racing machines on the planet, and in my opinion, some of the best racing we will ever see.

+1 to the sparks, and +2 to the vid though it some-what depressed me knowing those days are long gone. haha
I also think we should have clouds of black smoke when going from little or from "load" acceleration to wide open throttle. Also maybe white smoke when you've run the car a long time, maybe maintenance like oil changes, rebuild motors, and things like that?
That would be way to rediculous for that to be added.

However backfires, sparks from bottoming out, I would love to see it.
What's so rediculous about it, in RL when you see someone in front of you step on it (usually in turbo'd cars I've seen than most regular cars, and high compression cars) they'll put out a lil black smoke, I think it'll add to the realism...
#19 - Jakg
I think he meant having to rebuild/oil change - this is meant to be fun - what next, having to walk to the toilet after eating a dodgy Burger?!
Quote from Jakg :I think he meant having to rebuild/oil change - this is meant to be fun - what next, having to walk to the toilet after eating a dodgy Burger?!

Lol :rolleyes:
Quote from Mazz4200 :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_Bremgarten
To be honest i only know it from plodding around it in GPL, it's a great track though.
Anyway, i saw your so called "pun" in the other thread about the greatest marque in motoring, my beloved Maserati, so i'm keeping a weary eye on you buddy

ah, bremgarten bern, not bremgarten argovia, that's a different story. now I even remember hearing of it before.

hey, the maserati pun wasn't aimed against maserati... I LOVE italian cars, although maserati is not on top of the list.

smoke from the exhaust? this always worries me unless it's winter or the engine has just been started. we're not talking 'bout diesels here, right?
[Slightly off-topic]Actually I think this thread is a good sign.
It means that people are happy with the current handling, physics and balance and are now thinking towards minor graphical improvements.

Ignoring the barrier (and occasional lag-related) collision insanity for a minute, if I was one of the Scavier crew I'd be feeling a serious amount of pride and accomplishment to be at the stage where us braying hounds are asking for such trivial stuff [/Slightly off-topic]

Err...I like pretty stuff. Umm...
Oh, the particle effects might need a little upgrading before we get big plumes of oil-related smoke. Obviously that tends to hang in the air longer than standard tyre smoke, so something might need to be done with that. It all still disappears too fast, but I understand the tech limitations of the time.

I can't wait to see all of this stuff in action
Quote from Hankstar :I grant you though, it does kinda look like Bremgarten ...

No, it looks more-like something from the Berg Cup to be honest... what a great championship that is too..
And that's exactly what it is.

sparks and more "action"
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG