The online racing simulator
BMX Bikes?
(27 posts, started )
BMX Bikes?
I'm looking for a BMX for myself, as my mountain bike is a bit nackered. Had it for some years and I fancy a decent BMX. Trouble is, i've not got much money. £70 at the most, I want a decent, light BMX along the style of this:

http://shinymedia.blogs.com/ph ... rized/blank_media_bmx.jpg

Just a general BMX really. Anyone know of any bikes that might be suitable? Or anyone selling one in the UK?

Cheers,
Jack
Might seem obvious but I'd say look around for a second-hand bmx in your local classifieds or on ebay because, as you probably know, 70 quid won't get you a decent new bmx. You probably want to stick with an established name like Hoffman, Haro, GT etc too, because their stuff's well made. My last beemer was a sorta low-end Hoffman dirt bike. I bought it new in 2000 for $600 (200 quid or so). Comparitively cheap at the time, but still does what I want it to. Tough bugger.
Quote from mrodgers :Go for the pink one. Only a real man can ride a pink bike. When they make fun of you, show them a beating like only a real man can show .

Sorry, no help from me. I don't even think I could ride a BMX bike anymore....

Oh please I'm older than you and I have a Haro 24".
Of course it has a flat and I haven't gotten round to fixing it - for like a year now....
Well it's not pink.
I'm not man enough for a pink one. Is fanta pearl a manly enough colour?
Quote from Racer Y :Oh please I'm older than you and I have a Haro 24".
Of course it has a flat and I haven't gotten round to fixing it - for like a year now....
Well it's not pink.

Aren't 24 inch frames a bit large for BMX? I thought BMX bikes were in the 20 inch range. That's the size range I think of with BMX. Mountain bikes are 24-26 inch I had thought.
Quote from mrodgers :Aren't 24 inch frames a bit large for BMX? I thought BMX bikes were in the 20 inch range. That's the size range I think of with BMX. Mountain bikes are 24-26 inch I had thought.

FYI the 20/24/26" refers to the wheel diameter. 24" bmxs are generally used for racing and not freestyle/vert/dirt like the 20" bikes are.
Quote from mrodgers :Aren't 24 inch frames a bit large for BMX? I thought BMX bikes were in the 20 inch range. That's the size range I think of with BMX. Mountain bikes are 24-26 inch I had thought.

Well, technically it's called a BMX Cruiser. and yeah, it's a BMX bike. it looks like a large BMX bike but the handlebars are a little bit more low-profile... they kinda look like the ones on those old Huffy bicycles.
wait a minute! this is the INTERNET.....

Similar to this one...
http://websterbicycle.com/item ... ?catalogId=39&id=1735
Quote from mcintyrej :I've been looking at the Mongoose range, but they do seem to be a bit expensive. Some great looking bikes too.

http://www.mongoose.com/bmx/Mo ... ctImages/2590_1_large.jpg

My mate has one of those, its brilliant. Suits me perfect, but they're around £140.

Any other suggestions?

i had a mongoose mountain bike and it lasted over 2 years with me jumping it off 5 feet jumps every day there very well made
Mongoose are sketchy at best. I find their wheel bearings just can't keep up. The rims (unless branded) seem to always need adjusting to keep a true alignment. As for the crank assembly, same issue, the bearings crack and shatter, resulting in grinding, and friction. If it's only going to be used lightly then go for it, but if your going park riding, and dirt jumping, invest
~Bryan~
^ If you're going hard, drop some serious cash and don't use stock parts like wheels or cranks. I don't ride that hard anymore and that's why my Hoffman (bought to replace a Haro that met its fate under a car :S) is still in one piece Plus I spent loads on my mountain bike and it'd be a waste not to ride it.
I have a Mongoose (mountain bike). I ride with my 6 year old, who just learned to go with 2 wheels this summer. How hard can I be riding when it takes us 4 hours to go the 6 miles to the tunnel, then 4 hours back? LOL.

6 miles can be quite a long ride when you have to stop and pick every wildflower for mom that you see, or get off the bike to chase every butterfly that you see, .

By the time we're done riding, her basket on the handlebars is so overflowing with flowers, she can hardly see .
Quote from mrodgers :Go for the pink one. Only a real man can ride a pink bike.

+1

I like to wear pink chucks/vans.

If you are not want to do freestyle, get a dirtbike. More comfort as a BMX.
Anyone else remember the Team Mongoose bike with the spider-web mags? Or am i really just that old? I had a pair on a bike I had once, the things weighed a ton, but were indestructible.

I dunno, a mongoose is still a pretty good every-day bike. But if you go around trashing it, it's not going to hold up. Hell even really expensive bikes can't take much punishment either these days

Like those Tour de France type bikes. They haul ass and all, but if you were to hit a bump just right - the rims are toast.
Quote from mrodgers :Go for the pink one. Only a real man can ride a pink bike.

You could really assert your masculinity by adding white tassles to the grips.
Quote from Racer Y :Anyone else remember the Team Mongoose bike with the spider-web mags? Or am i really just that old? I had a pair on a bike I had once, the things weighed a ton, but were indestructible.

Don't recall the Team Mongoose, but I fondly recall the two greatest bmx movies ever made: BMX Bandits and RAD

Yes, Ms High-Pants is our own Nic Kidman...

I still want a Deathtrack 2000 in my yard.
Quote from Racer Y :I dunno, a mongoose is still a pretty good every-day bike. But if you go around trashing it, it's not going to hold up. Hell even really expensive bikes can't take much punishment either these days

Heard that. Like I said up there, I wouldn't rely on a stocker if I was going to go balls-out (gettin' too old & busted for that shit). Beef up your bike with after-market bits or, better still, just start with a good sturdy frame (wethepeople & terrible1 both make awesome frames) and customise one from the ground up.
Damn you guys make biking look un-cool I wish I had the cash for a bike. I was always the guy on the crappy Canadian Tire bike (frame stress cracked a few times, bent, forks locked up) But as soon as I hoped on any of my friends true mountain bikes (2006 Norco Ryde, 2004 Specialized P2) I could pwn their asses, it was classic
~Bryan~
Just bought a new bike

Someone's sold you a bike with child wheels on it!!!
Someone sold you a miniature racing car
Touché

Quote from Hankstar :Someone sold you a miniature racing car

Haha yes they did! Aluminium frame = super light
But I really should be saving for a car :S
The racing car comment was for TC

Cars are overrated. I've got my Hoffman BMX & a Kona cross-country bike. Sorted in any weather :up:
Quote from Danzig :But I really should be saving for a car :S

Start saving for a front brake for that bike first - it'll save you money in the long run. Dentist bills are usually pretty steep.

Quote from Hankstar :Cars are overrated.

Amen.

BMX Bikes?
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG