The online racing simulator
Quote from xaotik :To me computer gaming is something completely separate that just stands on its own. Whenever I play LFS I'm enjoying a game. What furthers the enjoyment is that I don't have to invest time in thinking of the "rules" as it simulates something familiar and/or just about logical. What fascinates me more, as a sucker for computer-human interfaces, is the ability it has to actually send me some feedback of what happens in it's world back to my world.

Either flight sims or driving sims do not reflect my aspirations or my hidden dreams in any way, nor playing Elite ever meant I wanted to fall around in space (although admittedly Elite's lack of physics didn't allow for that) inside a polygonal spaceship any more than playing some RPG made me wish my world was dragon-infested and have me run around in 40kg of armour.

Very well put.
Quote from ebola :Very well put.

Xaotik, RPG's don't oftenly replicate real life, where as LFS is trying to Replicate real life. Everything you need to control a car is infront of you, Its not the same as .... FIFA games.. You aren't going to be able to run around your house with sensors on, to dictate play, because you may aswell call up a few friends and have a game yourself.

Car simulations are different, because to control a car your already sitting down. Everyone here has thought about doing racing, whether it was a childhood dream, whether it was to do professional racing, or amateur stuff.
Well, not really. I actually hardly have any interest in cars (blowing my last statement out of the water). I'm a bit like Kev I think, except that I don't watch much motorsport either. I'm even umming and ahhing about having to buy a car sometime.

But I love LFS, and I'm quite interested in racing sims these days (spurred on by LFS). A few years ago I wasn't like this at all. Actually, now that you mention it, I would probably love to do some RL kart racing sometime now, or atleast get an introductory feel for it.

So.. there we go- a real life interest bought on by playing a computer game. No wonder they want to ban GTA eh!
He may play LFS as there is a BMW Sauber in LFS, but he may not, who knows.
#30 - col
Like all F1 drivers, he is payed an obscene amount of money to say exactly what they tell him to say. The smile on his face as he discovers LFS tells more than all his words about what he really thinks - mind you, they also pay him to smile
Quote from BlueFlame :Car simulations are different, because to control a car your already sitting down. Everyone here has thought about doing racing, whether it was a childhood dream, whether it was to do professional racing, or amateur stuff.

Very wrong.

I know at least of one person that didnt: me.

I play LFS because its fun and I enjoy it. I never thought about racing in real life and I can promise you that I never will.

And Im sure, so do many others.
Quote from BlueFlame :Xaotik, RPG's don't oftenly replicate real life, where as LFS is trying to Replicate real life.

My use of RPGs in that sentence was an allusion to the gap that computer gaming fills up for me - hence the use of "any more" as in: LFS doesn't make me long for car racing any more than RPGs make me long for swordfights. I just take it as it is.

The whole point of my previous post, which you apparently missed, was in the bold lettering: I don't have to invest time in thinking of the "rules" as it simulates something familiar and/or just about logical

LFS in particular is amazing at doing just this without busting my balls in the process via horrendously long loading times and a clunky interface.

Quote from Blueflame :Car simulations are different, because to control a car your already sitting down.

Just about the same with an airplane and playing a flight simulator, yet I don't aspire to be a pilot but I do admire the work put into a flight sim that manages to immerse me by playing exactly on the aspect of simulation that I mentioned before: I don't have to invest time in thinking of the "rules" as it simulates something familiar and/or just about logical

Quote from BlueFlame :Everyone here has thought about doing racing

That's too generalised, imo.

As is pretty much obvious, I stand with the crowd zeugnimod defines.

EDIT:
By the way, "oftenly" is not a word.
Quote from xaotik :
LFS in particular is amazing at doing just this without busting my balls in the process via horrendously long loading times and a clunky interface.

The reason above is perfectly valid for me too. Maybe someone thinks that appreciating a neat piece of software or hardware is more stupid than appreciating a car. But there will always be someone who judges the world exclusively by his own meter because he's unable to evaluate simple differences between human beings.

Is it so difficult to accept that a race sim can be appreciated from different points of view and for reasons that may be different from "I'm frustrated because I cannot be a race driver so I'm a sim race driver?"

Once again the answer is obvious, except for those who feel horrendously deprived of some opportunity.
Quote from BlueFlame : 'Neon Noobs' can stick to NFS.

so much for having a fun racing game then....

on topic: i think its cool... even thought its weird that lfs isnt mentioned , is that a Real life Bf1 he's using
Quote from deggis :That part I did understood and I just joined the Nick Heidfeld hater club

So you hate everyone whose favourite game is not the same as yours. how 3rd grade, dude.
hate me then too, as I dont have a particular one to rule them all.
Omg.

He obviously wasnt serious. :rolleyes:
Probably the most interesting part of this interview, since he played LFS there:

Interviewer: "The driving experience that you get in a f1 simulation, does it come close to reality?"

Heidfeld: "No, sadly not at all."
Quote from Zomah :So you hate everyone whose favourite game is not the same as yours. how 3rd grade, dude.
hate me then too, as I dont have a particular one to rule them all.

Your joke-o-meter has low battery.

It strikes me as odd that people who enjoy driving sims in particular wouldn't want to take a real car out on a real track for some laps. Not racing, mind you, but just for some laps, for the experience of driving in a manner similar to a sim. They say "no" now, but I bet if they had the opportunity, they'd do it.
Quote from Whisper :It strikes me as odd that people who enjoy driving sims in particular wouldn't want to take a real car out on a real track for some laps. Not racing, mind you, but just for some laps, for the experience of driving in a manner similar to a sim. They say "no" now, but I bet if they had the opportunity, they'd do it.

Well yeah, if someone handed me the keys to a sports car at a circuit and said "Enjoy!" then sure, I'd be happy to crash it for him. That doesn't mean I'd want to buy the sports car or maintain the sports car or enter a racing series or imagine myself on the starting grid of a grand prix.

I don't even have a car and I haven't had one for ten years. That's how bothered I am about cars.
Quote from thisnameistaken :
I don't even have a car and I haven't had one for ten years. That's how bothered I am about cars.

I'm quite surprised about that, and i see that there are more thinking the same as you...
I can't comprehand that someone would play a racing SIM and is not interested in cars or racing..
Quote from Boris Lozac :I'm quite surprised about that, and i see that there are more thinking the same as you...

And on the other hand, for some, a car is a necessity. It would be quite difficult for me to walk or ride a bicycle the 25 miles to work every morning . I could take the bus, but why would I walk the 30 miles to catch the bus, only to have the bus go back the way I came to drop me off at work .

City living - advantage - public transportation or being able to walk/bicycle.

Country living - advantage - I can set my computer outside and race LFS naked in my front yard and there's no one to see . (ok, slight exaggeration, very few around to see)
Quote from mrodgers :And on the other hand, for some, a car is a necessity.

Pardon me, i didn't meant to qoute the part about not having a car, some people just don't have the money for it, or it is practical for them to use other transports... but what i meant is that i don't understand how come people play LFS and on the other hand have no interest in cars, racing, or motosports...
Quote from mrodgers :Country living - advantage - I can set my computer outside and race LFS naked in my front yard and there's no one to see . (ok, slight exaggeration, very few around to see)

JPG or it didn't happen!

I don't want to see an old man racing LFS naked on his front yard thx.
We could always ask him to race rFactor then.

Quote from Whisper :It strikes me as odd that people who enjoy driving sims in particular wouldn't want to take a real car out on a real track for some laps. Not racing, mind you, but just for some laps, for the experience of driving in a manner similar to a sim. They say "no" now, but I bet if they had the opportunity, they'd do it.

That wasn't the issue of the debate. The point was that not everyone sims because of it being a substitute to real racing - some people play simulators because they just like to play simulators, regardless of their dreams and aspirations.
You can hear one thing clearly: He would not play lfs because of the fictional tracks. And his opinipn is that virtual racing is not realistic at all most because of the screen-fov problem.
Quote from Crazy Harry :And his opinipn is that virtual racing is not realistic at all most because of the screen-fov problem.

I guess every real driver (ok maybe not F1/other top level drivers) would think that way first until they adapt to the limitations and start seeing there more than just a regular game.
It makes me angry that people here aren't as interested in cars as others. This sim, from the begining has been about Passion and Enthusiasm for Cars and Motorsport. You can't not be enthusiastic about cars and post say... in the Improvement suggestions, because as far as your concerned, cars don't interest you.. I just can't understand why one can play this great game, and not have a similar interest in cars... to say, even that of the devs. Its just... Imbalanced to me.. I don't know why I respect cars more than my own life. Cars give to me what nothing else can, and if this game brings me closer to people who don't have the desire to even OWN a car.. Then I feel somewhat let down.
Quote from BlueFlame :It makes me angry that people here aren't as interested in cars as others.

Angry? Hahahahaha!

Quote from BlueFlame :I just can't understand why one can play this great game, and not have a similar interest in cars...

It doesn't surprise me that you have difficulty understanding simple things.

Quote from BlueFlame :I respect cars more than my own life.

Hahahahaha. (reprise)

Quote from BlueFlame :if this game brings me closer to people who don't have the desire to even OWN a car..

Not wanting to make assumptions of too many of my peers, but I don't think you need to worry about that happening.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG