The online racing simulator
Worrying Trend
(81 posts, started )
Quote from felplacerad :warranty?

the trouble with that is the two best wheels that logitech has ever made are both discontinued.

although something i forgot to mention in my earlier post and i don't know if everyone's computer is set this way BUT....................................

when i hit "esc" to pull up the menus my force feedback turns off. you could just do that as a preventitive measure.

speedfreak227
This thread is SO g4y!

Quote :OH, i guess its my fault i'm using FF, guess it's my fault, i'm racing online.

Oh, yes you're right. Imagine one day you don't get your corner right and crash into a wall - who is paying you a new wheel? The Dev team as they didn't put tires in front of the wall to bounce you off?

If someone rests his chin on the wheel ... that's his decision, but it's his own risk.

If someone likes to tie his p3n1s to the wheel and it gets stretched to double length, it's his own risk (although he might enjoy it).

You simply cannot hold other people responsible for your FF hardware movements.
Quote from DratsaB :
I wouldnt ram some one who looked like they where driving proper laps

lol

Quote from huxorator :Oh, yes you're right. Imagine one day you don't get your corner right and crash into a wall - who is paying you a new wheel? The Dev team as they didn't put tires in front of the wall to bounce you off?

If someone rests his chin on the wheel ... that's his decision, but it's his own risk.

If someone likes to tie his p3n1s to the wheel and it gets stretched to double length, it's his own risk (although he might enjoy it).

You simply cannot hold other people responsible for your FF hardware movements.

lol

mmm I love that word :boing:

Eza
Quote from huxorator :If someone likes to tie his p3n1s to the wheel and it gets stretched to double length, it's his own risk (although he might enjoy it).

Aw man... first there was that other thread where someone said he got hard-ons from the engine sounds in LFS and now this...

Thank you everyone for turning LFS into a kink parade.
Yeah, personally it gets on my nerves when people ram into me after the race. Its kind of childish and irritating and it ruins the atmosphere of a proper race. But that said I've never bothered complaining about it because most people just dont see it that way.
Quote from colcob :Yeah, personally it gets on my nerves when people ram into me after the race. Its kind of childish and irritating and it ruins the atmosphere of a proper race. But that said I've never bothered complaining about it because most people just dont see it that way.

Agree.
And i could kill those azzholes that drives backwards after the race too.
HEY!! I'm practising here!

/Fredrik
It only annoys me if I'm having a bad day. It's a good way of relaxing for a few moments before the intense concentration before the next race. I tend not to crash into ppl much after the race, but just drive around messin' about. Works for me, I guess
Quote from speedfreak227 :i had the ORIGINAL wingamn formula force. it lasted for YEARS. every time i booted up my computer though it would CRASH to each extreeme, far left, then far right. eventually from the shock loads the steel cables inside snapped.

speedfreak227

My wheel does the same, and it is no fault, it is supposed to do so. It's like it comes alive when I turn on my PC, and it happened after installing som 'fix' for the spikes appearing in pedals, and the program 'warned' me in advance of this behaivor, turning full left and then right when swhitcing PC on. so nothing is snapped, I guess.
It does bug me when someone completely random slams into me after a race, but if it's the racer I just swapped positions with for the past 5 laps, it's fair game. :P Besides that, there's no way to stop this, and it's not really a problem in the first place. If a majority of people thought it was something to be banned for, then you have your wish, but most of the time it's just playing around and you were unlucky.
I have a DFP and when some one hits me my wheel dosent budge, youve probably got the FF on silly high, and low rotation.

Having your FF that high isnt reccomended, you can damage the motor and gears quicker IMO, theres more force going through them, resulting in quicker wear.. if that makes sence!

If the problem persists i would imagine youve stripped a gear or damaged the motor.
Just drive round and go to parc ferme like I do
It can be annoying but it really isn't a big deal, if your wheel is broken because this happened one time then I'd consider it a problem with your wheel, take it back and get it replaced.
You simply can't control everything that other people do, not everyone takes sim-racing so seriously and you've gotta respect that. Some guys just like to have a bit of fun or let off some steam after a race.
Quote from DratsaB :Banning some one for crashing into you after the race is over? Thats a bit harsh if you ask me. Theres no problem in crashing into other people after a race is over, it can be quite fun actualy.
I wouldnt ram some one who looked like they where driving proper laps (they might have just joined and be warming up for next race), but you say you were parked, so you were fair game

Its just bad luck your wheel may have suffered problems from the violent forces. Perhaps turn down the FFB?

if u think thats fun u need to get a life ..fool
No, YOU need to get a life when you take this game so seriously and get all enraged over it.
#40 - avih
Since i do think it's a bit annoying, and especially if you're not holding the wheel, under certain circumstances it can cause quite a harsh "flic" to the wheel, and since i don't know if other wheels have instant FF on/off as the SW has, how about addiing to lfs itself:

- add key: CTRL-F - turn FF on/off
- add option: disable FF after race finishes (for that specific player) untill next restart. of course CTRL-F would re-enable it at that state.
Quote from speedfreak227 :just a week ago i had a chair with a steel post fail while i leaned back on it. it was just a matter of YEARS of cyclic loading that stressed the metal and caused dislocations

LOL, that sounds like the kind of thing that happens to you only when you are among the few that KNOW it can happen...funny how life is.
Quote :
a simple example of this is that little tab used to open pop and beer cans. if you just BARELY wiggle it it'll wiggle for a long time. if you bend it back and forth the full distance the metal isn't able to flex after a few full bends and it cracks.

<off topic>
I think the most fascinating bit is how (assuming no corrosion/fretting/etc) time doesn't effect it. You can bend it back and forth 20 times and break it today, or you can do so once a week for twenty weeks and it will still break after about the same number of cycles.

This kind of simple behavior has interesting consequences. Small plane owners measure life of components in hours of use, which is if dubious value. Transport category aircraft usually measure component life in cycles. The maintenance schedules are designed so that impending fatigue failures will be detectable by dye-penetrant/whatever testing at least one maintenance interval before the fatigue crack will cause catastrophic failure. Very, very rarely do they get this wrong. Amazing how good the science is in practice even though the science is still by no means perfect.
Chill out guys its called FUN
It's not a worrying new trend, this has been happening post race in just about every sim around.

I don't personally like it, I tend to keep lapping after the race and don't expect to get hit, however if your sitting still you've just got to accept you will be hit.
Maybe I'm missing something.

If you park your car stationary on the track on the start/finish straight then you've got to expect to be hit, either by accident or on purpose. After all, common sense dictates that parking your car in the middle of straight when cars, still racing until they cross the line, are bearing down on you at 100mph+ is going to result in a massive collision. And if you wanna mess about and ram each other at high speed after a race with a like minded someone, fair enough, nowt stopping you. I've messed about after races myself with others who are skidding around and nudging and banging into each other until your tyres pop or you're out of fuel.

But often I've finished a race and parked up well out of the way, either round a corner, on the grass or right up against the barrier, while I chat to someone or save a replay file, etc. And sure enough, suddenly my wheel bangs round and the car goes cartwheeling through the air (like we've never seen that happen before omg lololol!!1!one!!1) and I'm left with no choice but to Shift+S.

So is it some kind of pre-pubescant hilarity that I'm missing out on? Does it give kids some kind of huge shuddering orgasm to ram a car that's clearly not joining in? Or is it just a case of people being dicks and unable to defend their actions without recourse to the old get-out-of-jail-free-card of "it's just a bit of fun"? Well, bollocks to your fun. When I want fun at the end of a race, you can spot me amongst the clouds of tyre smoke in the handful of cars pinging around like pinballs. When I'm parked up a 100 yards away with the hazard flashers on, that means "sod off, I'm busy".
This thread is all well and nice, but those who participate in post-race-crashage don't care and nothing is going to stop them.

Tristan has the right idea... find yourself a secure area (Parc Ferme) where nobody can hit you, and proceed there after you've finished the race... if you want to be realistic (which I'm sure all of the people complaining about this do), you should be following this standard FIA procedure for your own protection. Parking trackside is illegal, and you do so at your own risk (and furthermore, your own expense).
Quote :This thread is all well and nice, but those who participate in post-race-crashage don't care and nothing is going to stop them.

I'd care to differ, all you need to do is ask me not to and I won't. Telling me works too Usually ppl leave me alone if I ask them to, after the race. I do the same.
#47 - Gunn
Quote from Stealthy04 :I have a DFP and when some one hits me my wheel dosent budge, youve probably got the FF on silly high, and low rotation.

Having your FF that high isnt reccomended, you can damage the motor and gears quicker IMO, theres more force going through them, resulting in quicker wear.. if that makes sence!

If the problem persists i would imagine youve stripped a gear or damaged the motor.

100% is not too high. Do you have the Logitech centering spring enabled? That will keep your wheel returning to centre even when it shouldn't do. In a real car when you are stationary and you turn the wheel to full lock and then realease the wheel, the wheels stay in a turned position and don't snap back to centre automatically. If, in LFS, your wheel goes back to dead centre when stationary (even though there is no apparent reason for the wheels to straighten by themselves) this is probably because of forces not generated by LFS. People who have the centre spring disabled or set to 0 (when stationary and rammed by another car) will find their wheel turns rapidly to full lock as there are no forces in LFS resisting this movement like the centre spring does.

Perhaps this is why some people don't agree with the violent turning of their wheel under these conditions?

No matter what level my FFB is set at, if you crash into my car at speed and cause the front wheels to go full lock, then the wheel will go full lock. There is nothing artificially trying to return the wheels to a straight position, LFS is totally in control of the car's actions.

Many racers will park after a race and many will park off the track, I'm sure most of us have done this at some time. As has been identified by many members posting in this topic, it would be courteous and thoughtful not to ram a parked vehicle after a race. The option for the "parkers" would be to spectate or telepit, but as I say, many racers like to park briefly after a race. If people are aware that they may damage someone's equipment or cause some other unwanted disruption then it isn't too much to ask that a little common sense prevail online.
Quote from X-Ter :Ramming into other drivers on purpose is chilish and just not fun. Those who find amusement in that sort of behaviour doesn't belong on a track, be it real or simulated.
I try my best to "live the simulation". After a race I like to cool down and bring my car back to the pits, like in real life. Getting hit during that lap is just as irritating as being hit during the race.

Oh sorry, looks like I've spent the last 2.5 years or more of LFS racing somewhere I don't belong, my bad. Thank you for your enlightment. I promise to follow the straight and narrow and not step out of the box that is considered by you to be "normal". Please send me the bible on being you so I can correct my ways and learn to not be myself and become one with your way of life.

It's a matter of opinion, learn to understand others have different views on what they can and can't do based on their own life experience and its up to them to make decisions. You are not our parents, get over it. Don't like it? Tell the person who hit you, spectate, change server, start a kick vote.... wow, so many choices yet you'd rather try to say people are childish because they don't enjoy life the way you do.

Sigh, now we have after race smash up prevention nazi's... Christ I'm sick of all the "You can't do it because I don't like it" cry babies in these forums.

Edit: Yes, I may be immature in some respects (meaning others see what I find as entertainment to be childish) but in the real life issues that actually matter I have a very healthy attitude (such as starting a family). LFS is just a PC "simulation" game FFS. I can't believe I let this stupid thread get to me!
I noticed that in the demo servers it was a common policy to slam at full speed at BL1 in T1 at anyone... Didn't like it then, but I just got used to it. When I moved to the licensed servers I noticed that there were almost none those full-speed-at-you wreckers-after-finish.

But you just got to admit that some people like it and at least they aren't doing it while the race is going on. And generally the only thing I can figure negative about that is a) it may damage FF and b) it may be annoying. But if you park on road and get hit... If you park your car in T1 on BL and get hit you can cry as much as you want but I ain't listening. You can always ask them to stop and usually they do, but anyway you get hit first

Going in the wrong way is just plain stupid, have seen that on some team servers after race too...Going to the wrong way shouldn't just be allowed. period.
Quote from Rotary :Oh sorry, looks like I've spent the last 2.5 years or more of LFS racing somewhere I don't belong, my bad. Thank you for your enlightment. I promise to follow the straight and narrow and not step out of the box that is considered by you to be "normal". Please send me the bible on being you so I can correct my ways and learn to not be myself and become one with your way of life.

It's a matter of opinion, learn to understand others have different views on what they can and can't do based on their own life experience and its up to them to make decisions. You are not our parents, get over it. Don't like it? Tell the person who hit you, spectate, change server, start a kick vote.... wow, so many choices yet you'd rather try to say people are childish because they don't enjoy life the way you do.

Sigh, now we have after race smash up prevention nazi's... Christ I'm sick of all the "You can't do it because I don't like it" cry babies in these forums.

Edit: Yes, I may be immature in some respects (meaning others see what I find as entertainment to be childish) but in the real life issues that actually matter I have a very healthy attitude (such as starting a family). LFS is just a PC "simulation" game FFS. I can't believe I let this stupid thread get to me!

brilliant post rots! and :iagree: totally illepall
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken

Worrying Trend
(81 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG