The online racing simulator
Worrying Trend
(81 posts, started )
Worrying Trend
Last night, having just finished a race, i cruised round a couple of corners and parked, way of the track on the grass.
When some jerk, rammed into me at full speed, and my wheel went nuts.
The next race started straight after that, so i didnt get a chance to see who it was. At the start of the next race the wheel switched itself off just before the first corner, and of course i got the blame for crashing into everyone.

Thing is, my wheel just aint been the same since.

This is the first time someone's done to this to me, but i've seen it happen to plenty of other folk (some guys drive the wrong way round the track, just so they can hit someone).

This just aint on guys.

Is there anyway to instantly ban these jerks without getting a majority vote ?

BTW, If i ever find out who the Twat was who hit me, you'll be getting a bill for a brand new DFP, cheers fella !!
Gah, that can happen? D:
I don't think I'll be racing online in publics much then, as if my wheel dies I can't afford to replace it.

Just an idea, but if it was online, it'd probably be in your online stats, you could then ask people who was in that server if they have any replays with the crash.

Just an idea.
Banning some one for crashing into you after the race is over? Thats a bit harsh if you ask me. Theres no problem in crashing into other people after a race is over, it can be quite fun actualy.
I wouldnt ram some one who looked like they where driving proper laps (they might have just joined and be warming up for next race), but you say you were parked, so you were fair game

Its just bad luck your wheel may have suffered problems from the violent forces. Perhaps turn down the FFB?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
i dont like it when people ram after a race has ended but it's so common. its been like that since the beginning of lfs so unless the devs say something its gonna stay like that
I hate it when people do this! Ill be resting my chin on the wheel and some twat will hit me and my chin will hurt . Now i just spectate after every race and join back in when people start voting to restart.
I find it hard to belive the force feedback the wheel creates can actually damage it, i have a logitech as well and i have it cranked to 200% and have gone way past its force maximum (felt it slip) and its never messed up, however i have been hit right before a race restart and it nocks it out of calibration, once i recalibrated all was fixed.

if it did actually happen, the odds of that happening have to be a million to one man...but it doesnt seem to add up, they wouldnt create a wheel that the force feedback could destroy itself...

it is on the other hand VERY annoying with immature people do that, but there isnt much we can do about it besides go to pit road after the race.
#7 - Renku
Crashing into someone who is standing off track and isn't waiting for getting smashed - it is NOT fun. I'd ban those jerks (who deliberately ram other drivers who isn't expecting it) without warning!
It's all different story, when there is Destruction Derby or smth going on and everybody is aware of that.
There should be a thread in RSC about the same topic..
Quote from DodgeRacer :They wouldnt create a wheel that the force feedback could destroy itself...

Please remember that this is a logitech product you are talking about.
Quote :Ill be resting my chin on the wheel

well, that sounds weird, if I knew that someone is doing that, I would ram him for sure, just for the fun of it

Anyway, wheels are not supposed to take damage from force feedback effects and I can't imagin that it did. Maybe it just got a bit soft because of a long play session, that's what happens to my wheel when I play for a longer time. The resistance and ff effects become softer, when I let it rest for a while, its all normal again. Maybe try that.
Quote from DratsaB :Banning some one for crashing into you after the race is over? Thats a bit harsh if you ask me. Theres no problem in crashing into other people after a race is over, it can be quite fun actualy.
I wouldnt ram some one who looked like they where driving proper laps (they might have just joined and be warming up for next race), but you say you were parked, so you were fair game

Its just bad luck your wheel may have suffered problems from the violent forces. Perhaps turn down the FFB?

Fair Game, FAIR GAME !!!

Are you for real ?

I'd just won a clean race, set a PB, and was waiting for next race to start, minding my own business.

OH, i guess its my fault i'm using FF, guess it's my fault, i'm racing online.

Listen Man, if thats your thing, then perhaps you'd better stick to Burnout (or grow up)

Dodgeracer,
During the next few race's it went really notchy to the left, when driving in a straight line, it was kinda like there was a hole there that it kept falling into.
Hopefully, it'll be ok after a rest, and a recal, coz i cant afford to replace it.

Cheers guys, seems i'm not the only one who finds this sort of thing out of order.
Yep please leave that behaviour behind in demo mode illepall I go online in S2 to escape that sort of attitude.. Racing servers are for racing, join a contact server for smashing there's a time and place for everything...
BTW does anyone play Cops an Robbers anymore? haven't seen it played since S1 days.. its a contact sport with skill
there's no need to be a drama queen, if somebody shunts after the race, it's not exactly the end of the world and not as if it was intended to ruin you're race or damage you're wheel.

this 'worrying trend' as you put it, has been going on since LFS has existed, i've NEVER seen a problem with it. as long as it's with peeps you know wont throw a wobbler over it

If you're afraid of breaking you're wheel turn the FF down to sensible levels, or get off the road entierly

I M H O
Mm true, but in what way are we simulating racing when we do this although if the smash repair bills weren't so high I'm sure some real life drivers would do the same especially if someone had taken them out with some dumb ass high risk manouver LOL
.... are you guys for real?

He's is talking about when the race is over right?

Its not some thing i do often, mostly i only do it if some one rams me on purpose after a race, just messing about. I dont purposely try to take people out after a race (as i said earlier, they may be trying to warm up before the next race). I also really dont care when other people do it to me, as long as im not warming up.

sheesh..whats the point in having a damage engine if you never get to see the cars wrecked... (joking)

I just dont see whats so bad about someone smashing into a parked car after a race.

If it really, really annoys a lot of people i would make a point not to do it. But I find it kind of odd that such a big fuss is being made about it..

Edit: thanks for the backup Theafro, i was feeling a bit out in the cold. I guess LFS is not for the "Light Hearted" lol
I'd suggest a poll might be a good idea. Personally I don't have any problem at all with it, sometimes it's useful to let a bit of steam out. Usually I'll do it with a bit of circle work, but it doesn't seem at all odd or wrong that people crash after the race to me. It's hardly a vindictive "I'm going to stuff this guys DFP" thing...
Quote from Theafro :there's no need to be a drama queen, if somebody shunts after the race, it's not exactly the end of the world and not as if it was intended to ruin you're race or damage you're wheel.

this 'worrying trend' as you put it, has been going on since LFS has existed, i've NEVER seen a problem with it. as long as it's with peeps you know wont throw a wobbler over it

If you're afraid of breaking you're wheel turn the FF down to sensible levels, or get off the road entierly

I M H O

:iagree: well said
Ramming into other drivers on purpose is chilish and just not fun. Those who find amusement in that sort of behaviour doesn't belong on a track, be it real or simulated.
I try my best to "live the simulation". After a race I like to cool down and bring my car back to the pits, like in real life. Getting hit during that lap is just as irritating as being hit during the race.
Quote from DodgeRacer :I find it hard to belive the force feedback the wheel creates can actually damage it,

i had the ORIGINAL wingamn formula force. it lasted for YEARS. every time i booted up my computer though it would CRASH to each extreeme, far left, then far right. eventually from the shock loads the steel cables inside snapped.

any repeated shock load can cause stress build ups which will eventually cause a failure. (almost finished my materials engineering degree. could go into much more depth if anyone wanted)

and resting your chin on the wheel puts a load on the internal bearings that they were not meant to take. DON'T DO IT.

i agree it's a pain when people nail you after the race just because you're a target and it's not interfering with the race.

speedfreak227
Quote from speedfreak227 :
any repeated shock load can cause stress build ups which will eventually cause a failure. (almost finished my materials engineering degree. could go into much more depth if anyone wanted)

Materials engineering, neat.

Would it be fair to say that when designing a force feedback wheel, you should design it so that the largest forces anticipated from either users or the motors will not stress/strain the materials past the endurance limit? The wheel is subject to reversed stress as well, not something I'd want to ignore in design.
Quote :
and resting your chin on the wheel puts a load on the internal bearings that they were not meant to take. DON'T DO IT.

Probably very true for sim-wheels. I don't know, but I imagine the bearings in automotive wheel columns are designed to cope with people using the wheel as a grab handle to prevent slipping in corners and to enter and exit the vehicle. I have a vehicle with 250k miles and the column is still quite tight and lash free. For that application, I can't imagine resting a 10lb load on it for a short period doing much harm.

Most of the mass produced sim wheels look super cheesy.
#20 - Gunn
The violence with which the wheel can slam into full lock from an attack on your unattended car could easily damage many parts of the wheel including the securing mechanism that keeps it attached to your desk. For those who use the Logitech fake centering spring effect you might not understand this like those who allow LFS to completely control their wheel may do.

Other hazards include:
Waking the children
Spilling the beer

*hmmmm.... spilt beer, I don't really need to list anymore now do I?
Well as whiny as it sounds, it really DOES sound whiny , he really does have a valid point. I believe his wheel got knocked outta whack because of hit like that. I've had to recalibrate
my center after being hit like that before. He's right. it really can mess with your wheel. Also, I've heard about somebody getting the crap burned out of them when someone hit them and it caused their coffee to go every where (lol and they say real racing is dangerous).

I also, understand that 99% of the time, the wrecker isn't really meaning any harm. Most of the time, it's done as a way to show that they enjoyed
the race - kinda like a punch on the arm sort a thing.
But people need to realize that this sort of stuff needs to not happen
especially if it can totally trash a wheel
I dunno...maybe the wrecker can just try not to wreck sooo hard?

Uh ... it won't straighten up at all? Have you tried to reinstall it?
#22 - avih
I don't like this behaviour too, but it happens and imho you can't really tell ppl not to do that, so now i automatically switch off FF after i finish a race. I've been doing that for few weeks i think, it solves the issue for me. (i have a ff on/off switch at the front of my SW FF USB wheel)
Quote from skiingman :Materials engineering, neat.

Would it be fair to say that when designing a force feedback wheel, you should design it so that the largest forces anticipated from either users or the motors will not stress/strain the materials past the endurance limit? The wheel is subject to reversed stress as well, not something I'd want to ignore in design.

yes that is fair, but then again why does anything wear out? you can't build everything to last forever, it simply costs too much. it's all about balance. it should last the average user a set amount of time under average conditions. shoes for instance, they could be made to last MUCH longer, but then to cost goes up acordingly.

given enough repeated light impacts most things will fail. on a side note: if you have a two door car with back seats, HOLD YOUR FRONT SEAT AS YOU MOVE IT FORWARDS! DON'T LET IT SLAM FORWARDS UNDER SPRING FORCE EVERY TIME. just because it doesn't break this time or the next 100 times doesn't mean it's not going to break next time. just a week ago i had a chair with a steel post fail while i leaned back on it. it was just a matter of YEARS of cyclic loading that stressed the metal and caused dislocations to form in the matrix. as more dislocations are formed dislocation motion is reduced causing the material to cease to be able to plastically deform. (FINALLY I CAN PUT MY ENGINEERING COURSES TO A GOOD USE! assuming i got that right )

a simple example of this is that little tab used to open pop and beer cans. if you just BARELY wiggle it it'll wiggle for a long time. if you bend it back and forth the full distance the metal isn't able to flex after a few full bends and it cracks.

Quote from skiingman :
Probably very true for sim-wheels. I don't know, but I imagine the bearings in automotive wheel columns are designed to cope with people using the wheel as a grab handle to prevent slipping in corners and to enter and exit the vehicle. I have a vehicle with 250k miles and the column is still quite tight and lash free. For that application, I can't imagine resting a 10lb load on it for a short period doing much harm.

Most of the mass produced sim wheels look super cheesy.

the bearings in a vehicle are designed to have a much higher fail safe load for obvious reasons. if your logitech wheel fails it's highly unlikely that you'll end up on the sidewalk hitting a nun walking with 13 orphans.

when firends are using my wheel if i see them leaning on it i ask them to stop. it is for rotating, not using as a lever.

after having my original formula force (best wheel ever!) fail i'm being especially cautios with my red momo formula force. (a steal on ebay by pure luck) though i'm quite happy it doesn't do the same start up calibration as the old formula force did. i'm also going to buy an old formula force from a friend who doesn't use his anymore and just put it in the closet for a rainy day. the last thing i want is to have to use one of those crappy mass produced ones.

speedfreak227
Wait, this thread is about crash derby AFTER the race is over? And because you got smacked once you call it a "worrying trend"?

warranty?

Worrying Trend
(81 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG