Shift manually at start?
(35 posts, started )
#1 - bbman
Shift manually at start?
I think it would add an extra portion of realism if you have to shift manually to first gear when the lights go green... Now, all cars start at exactly the same moment... I think that starts would get more exiting then they are even now...

What do you think?
Cool, even better would be that you could jump the lights and get an appropriate penalty!
#3 - Lible
Actualy they put it to first gear. They press the button. Then WROOM WROOOOOOM! And when the light goes green they release the button.

EDIT: Oops, i wanted to say that F1 cars put ti to first gear....
Or stall the engine, been suggested though...
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Cool, even better would be that you could jump the lights and get an appropriate penalty!

This can be done now with insim, by making your own start lights. But it is rather confusing as there isn't a way to get rid of the normal start lights by the game. Like this.
Yes.. we definately need this in the S2.. It's a SIM so this has to be done.. it's not acceptable this way..
It is surprising, that still autostart it is not changed on manually. I hope it in plans devs.
Edit: Beaten by several people - that'll teach me to go downstairs and post without refreshing...
#9 - _Rob_
I think it would be nice too, as in some cars you can start in 2nd gear, therefore saving time by not having to shift into 2nd
Would make more interesting starts.
But perhaps there would be problems with lags, so people with better connections could have advantages.
Quote from _Rob_ :I think it would be nice too, as in some cars you can start in 2nd gear, therefore saving time by not having to shift into 2nd

Perhaps your first gear is too short...
People who have to manually shift to first gear will be at a disadvantage to people with shifters (like myself), who already start a race the same way everyone already does (1st gear, clutch down).

If stalling were to be introduced, I think a more sophisticated Clutch-Helper would also have to be developed to make sure the AWDs/heavy cars don't bottom out for the mouse/kb/clutchless players. Already the FXR is hard to take off with without setting the 1st gear ratio to something ridiculous.

If it were done properly, and is balanced and fair for all control sets, I'm all for it.
I'd love to have it like GPL where you have to actually launch at the right time, and get black flagged if you jump the gun. I think the best way to have it would be everyone in first gear with the clutch engaged. Everybody has a button mapped to the clutch, no matter what the controller is. BTW, you can launch the FXR without bogging with a fairly long first gear, just hold it against the limiter to build up some boost, you'll blow by everyone on the grid. I've seen 1.22gs of acceleration just with the default setup.
*cough* Just try holding down the gear up/gear down-button with autoclutch...

As for the manual clutchers, I don't see any problem there either...
This is hardly an uber realistic option, but could be something a few people with just 2 pedals (like myself) might like the idea of at least:

Perhaps for the starts you could have the option of using the brake pedal as the clutch. So you declutch by pressing the brake pedal to the floor, select first gear with your paddle, and then when the lights go green you launch the car by applying the throttle and at the same time releasing the brake pedal as you would a clutch pedal. Then when you have fully released it, or grabbed the next gear, the clutch becomes automatic and your left pedal becomes the brake pedal again. Obviously something would have to hold the car still if the grid were on a slope, and that would have to be automatic or wheel operated, but I can't see any other obvious problems, don't think i've often had to brake before even getting into 2nd gear.

Would at least be a more involving way of getting off the line, though perhaps not something everyone would take to. I think I'd find it more realistic than just hitting the paddle to engage 1st gear after the lights go green, no racing driver will still be in neutral when the first red light goes on, never mind when they go out.
Hmm, a different idea, I can see some people objecting, but nice.
I noticed (like with 1nsane) that if you hold the gear you also hold the clutch open (if you use seq). So at the grid you could shift into first, hold the clutch open, and wait on the light, then as it turns let go and the race is on... I do it a lot when I practice launches and am too lazy to restart the race to get the lights.
was thinking the other day the 'synchronised start' seems a bit silly to still be around. Even just having to let go of a clutch button would make it much better, with the potential for false starts.
Quote from Kegetys :This can be done now with insim, by making your own start lights. But it is rather confusing as there isn't a way to get rid of the normal start lights by the game. Like this.

thanks for all your lfs work.
Would be bad for people who use auto-cluch. This is becuase they would not be able to rev at the start, and would have to start from 1000rpm, which may be a little slow compared to people who could start at 3500rpm.

For example, when i start a race, i rev to around 4000rpm, but use my cluch to avoid wheel spinning. I find reving at start gets me away quicker

Cheers,
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from marsden1002 :Would be bad for people who use auto-cluch. This is becuase they would not be able to rev at the start, and would have to start from 1000rpm, which may be a little slow compared to people who could start at 3500rpm.

For example, when i start a race, i rev to around 4000rpm, but use my cluch to avoid wheel spinning. I find reving at start gets me away quicker

Cheers,

You can still hold the clutch open even with auto clutch. You can bind a key, or hold the shift (Though I think it's only N - 1st, will have to test that) button (if you don't use a shifter).
@mardsen1002: Did you actually read the thread?

@sinbad: Great idea! :up:
Quote from AndroidXP :@mardsen1002: Did you actually read the thread?

@sinbad: Great idea! :up:

Yes. Need to shift to 1st gear when lights go green - Also someone said that you could jump the lights.

Hence my Opinion
Apparently, you didn't. Also, what's the problem with having to shift into first? You can perfectly rev up in neutral. Or you could rev up, shift into first and hold the paddle to still engage the clutch, dropping it as soon as you let go the paddle.

Basically, when the race starts you should be in neutral with the handbrake engaged. You can then decide what to do, but when you move too far (or fast) too soon you get a penalty. You could shift in any gear, rev up as you like and operate the button clutch if you like to, but in no way would this be forcing you to start with low revs.
Don't bother trying, Android... If he had read this thread as he said, he would have seen my hint how to hold clutch open even with autoclutch...

The same for sinbad...

Shift manually at start?
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG