The online racing simulator
Turbo Lag
(11 posts, started )
Turbo Lag
It has been apparent to me for some tiem now that all the cars a have little or no turbo lag what so ever...

i know that there race cars , pre configured with decent engine tuning but still even the best cars around with turbos ( scoobys evo's etc ) all suffer from slight but significant lag...

also i know this has most likly been stated before but i thought i might bring it up again

feel free to discuss..

regards - ben , theirishnoob
the TBO's do have turbo lag, but not realistic lag. and the FXR and XRR have very bad lag. S yes, the turbo cars DO have lag, but not terribly realistic lag.
XRT has quite a bit of laaaaag!
Quote from The General Lee :XRT has quite a bit of laaaaag!

FXO is worse imo. pull away from standstill *slooowwww...slooooww...WHEELSPIIIIN!!....TUURBBOOOO!!!.change gear....sloooow.....sloooww...TURBOOOO.change gear.*
-
(Jakg) DELETED by Jakg : Wrong Thread!
Quote from theirishnoob :It has been apparent to me for some tiem now that all the cars a have little or no turbo lag what so ever...

Are you driving the same LFS as everybody else? Turbo spool modelling in LFS is completely borked. The effect on power with boost is spot on, though.
The GTR's turbos have too much lag. Surely a race car would have some form of anti-lag?
do you even know what lag is? Theres is certainly bucketloads in lfs.
As everyone pointed out, you are very wrong about the turbo lag in LFS. Since day one, there has been way too much in terms of realism.

Another point I'd like to make. Not all tubo cars have turbo lag.
Multiple turbines can greatly reduce lag, even to the point where it's unnoticable.
Also, mainly small engines with large turbos suffer from so called turbo lag, or rather spool time, due to a insufficient amount of exhaust gases they make at low RPM's.
If you ever step into a 6 cylinder turbo that doen't make an enourmous amount of power (around 100-120 HP per litre) there will be no lag, given that the turbo itself is suitable for that particular engine.

But ever 4bangers aren't that bad.
Last year I had a 2.0T audi A4 that made close to 200 HP. So a 2.0 litre engine, a car thats neither too heavy nor too light and a small turbo. Absolutly 0 lag, regardless how you drive it.
Picking subaru (STI I presume) or mitsu turbo cars is rather a bad choice for comparisson as these try to get as much power as they can from the smallest, most compact engines they can. This results in a 2.0 making well over 270BHP with a very large turbo. (thus the lag)
Quote :FXO is worse imo. pull away from standstill *slooowwww...slooooww...WHEELSPIIIIN!!....TUURBBOOOO!!!.

thats not turbo lag

Quote :
change gear....sloooow.....sloooww...TURBOOOO.change gear.

that is.
Quote from gohfeld23 :As everyone pointed out, you are very wrong about the turbo lag in LFS. Since day one, there has been way too much in terms of realism.

Another point I'd like to make. Not all tubo cars have turbo lag.
Multiple turbines can greatly reduce lag, even to the point where it's unnoticable.
Also, mainly small engines with large turbos suffer from so called turbo lag, or rather spool time, due to a insufficient amount of exhaust gases they make at low RPM's.
If you ever step into a 6 cylinder turbo that doen't make an enourmous amount of power (around 100-120 HP per litre) there will be no lag, given that the turbo itself is suitable for that particular engine.

But ever 4bangers aren't that bad.
Last year I had a 2.0T audi A4 that made close to 200 HP. So a 2.0 litre engine, a car thats neither too heavy nor too light and a small turbo. Absolutly 0 lag, regardless how you drive it.
Picking subaru (STI I presume) or mitsu turbo cars is rather a bad choice for comparisson as these try to get as much power as they can from the smallest, most compact engines they can. This results in a 2.0 making well over 270BHP with a very large turbo. (thus the lag)

Having just driven a manual transmission BMW 335i, there is most definitely lag, it certianly not a huge amount but it's definitely there. Driving along in 4th, and then standing on it, there's definitely a half second hesitation before the turbos hit. It's not like a N/A car, but it's the least laggy turbo car I've ever driven.
Quote from 96 GTS :Having just driven a manual transmission BMW 335i, there is most definitely lag, it certianly not a huge amount but it's definitely there. Driving along in 4th, and then standing on it, there's definitely a half second hesitation before the turbos hit. It's not like a N/A car, but it's the least laggy turbo car I've ever driven.

Let me correct my point above a bit. Turbos can be made vey unnoticable. I guess that's what i was trying to say .

Truth is that a regular person not looking for the lag will not notice it in the 335. Also, stepping on it in 4th generally requires you to already go quite fast in order to get the RPM high enough not to notice the spool time.
Try it again in 2nd doing 40-45 and report back. Im sure you will not feel a thing (given that you didn't have your clutch in, rolling at that speed).
Also, even from stand still, a 3.5litre engine can launch you fairly well before turbos kick in so it's a non issue with a car like that, and that was a point I was trying to make with larger engines.
BTW I completly agree, turbos can never be as responsive as N/A engines all things equal so a difference is always going to exist (I presume).

Turbo Lag
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG