The online racing simulator
Hairpin Help PLease - #2
(15 posts, started )
Hairpin Help PLease - #2
Hello again,

I have begun to practice my hairpin "failures" a lot. I'm using the AS3 course and would appreciate the following help from experienced drivers:

1. What car do you reccomend for my practice?
2. Is there a setup I could download that is good for training/practice?
3. As a pure beginner here - what is the sequence for the turn setup? Do I brake then downshift or is it the other way around?
4. Last - what is the approximate entry speed for the EAST side hairpins in AS3.

This is a facinating sim for me. I would like to become proficient enough to race on-line without being a "danger" to other drivers.

Thanks in advance for all of your help,

Cheers,

Ron Sagel
rjsagel
1) All of em, but if you are breaking it down, I'd use the XFG to start with, but every car will be different.
2) RACE_S is a very workable setup, I'd use that for starters
3) I generally brake and downshifting at the same time.
4) Not sure about entry speed, but corner speed in the XFG is about 45mph for those 2 corners, I suggest downloading a fast WR lap and seeing the brake points, turn in points and apexes that others use.
#3 - HVS5b
For what its worth!

1) As mentioned already the XFG is a pretty straightforward car to drive. Also maybe try the FXO and UFR to illustrate how differently each type of car drives.
2) Try team inferno for WR sets then reduce tyre camber and increase tyre pressure as a start.
3) Brake and downshift together, no trail braking for hairpins usually.
4) East side? Sorry lost me there......
I think he means the double hairpins halfway round Aston National............
In the UFR you have to drive smoothly in order to save the tyres, and as smoothness usually equals speed I have found it useful for practicing in.
#6 - HVS5b
Quote from danowat :I think he means the double hairpins halfway round Aston National............

Ah ok, then keeping the minimum apex corner speed to 45-50mph is pretty good in any of the above cars, imo of course . Use all of all the kerbs to make the road as wide as possisble.
Thank you all
Hello and thank you all for your great help here.

This is a very difficult sim to learn. I flew a very complex flight sim for a long time but finally got tired of the whole thing. I converted my big sim into a racing sim for about $400 dolllars and would like to eventually add a cockpit seat of some kind in the future.

Any ideas for that would also be appreciated.

Thanks again and cheers,

Ron Sagel
rjsagel
#8 - Jakg
Got a wheel? If not, you'll be wanting a G25, which can be had for roughly $220
Wheel - yes
Thank you again, I have a G25 wheel and I am using all manual controls in the sim - shifting and clutch.

Cheers.

Ron Sagel
1. What car do you recommend for my practice?

Start off slow, the XFG and XRG are good starting cars, the XRG especially as it's rear-wheel drive, like most other cars in the game. The FOX is of fun, but requires a different driving style to a lot of the cars.

2. Is there a setup I could download that is good for training/practice?

The current default setups are pretty good, they're not super-fast, but they are pretty stable for most tracks. You can find setups at www.setupfield.teaminferno.hu/

3. As a pure beginner here - what is the sequence for the turn setup? Do I brake then downshift or is it the other way around?

Simply - brake while downshifting, turn into the corner, begin accelerating just before the apex of the corner, clip then apex and get the best exit possible. The exit is the key to each corner, faster exit speed equals faster speed down the straight, which gives you a better overall time.

4. Last - what is the approximate entry speed for the EAST side hairpins in AS3.

No idea. As fast as you need to go to get the best apex and exit possible. Don't worry about entering the corners, it's leaving them that's important.
Fully agreed with Dark.
For the time being simply try to learn the lines and exits. As you progress, start experimenting with fast in as well.
Also, in LFS there is no general set rule to anything as quite often your are adjusting your cornering, speed, etc to the enviroment (other drivers, tire wear, etc)

Good luck and make sure you match your g25 steering to the ingame one as this will give the the best feel and control.
I'll add something to #3.

The gear changes when slowing for a corner are very different depending on whether you're in a front wheel drive (FWD) or a rear-wheel drive (RWD) car.

In the FWD, you can change down through the gears very quickly and use the braking effect of the engine to help slow you - if you watch some of the hotlap replays, you can see people appraoching a corner and pretty much immediately change from 5th or 4th to 2nd. I find this help a lot in slowing FWD cars quicker.

RWD cars you have to me much more careful, as all the weight is off the back wheels when braking. Its best to change down the gears naturally as the revs come down - if you change down too fast, the engine-braking effect will lock the back wheels.
Seeing that you have a G25, make sure you also set it up correctly to get the maximum out of it.

Adding to point #3 and to what Crashgate3 said, almost all setups have brake force and bias set up in a way that expects the utilization of engine braking. Now while it is pretty much common practice to brake and downshift (quickly) at the same time, do not forget that the speed you downshift at has a great influence on the car balance at corner entry. In FWD cars, the quicker you downshift the more understeer you will get and vice versa in RWD cars. So if you're struggling with understeer in FWD cars when approaching a hairpin, try to make the last two or three downshifts notably slower than usual. This will offset the relative brake balance to the rear and help you turn in.
Thank you again
Hello and many thanks for the help

Cheers,

Ron Sagel
rjsagel
Pah you dont need a wheel be a keyboard warrior like me

the best way i learnt was to jump straight into the big guns XRT on demo the went straight to BF1 when i got S2, thats probably why its about the only car i drive.

Hairpin Help PLease - #2
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG