The online racing simulator
InSim application spam
(10 posts, started )
#1 - axus
InSim application spam
I've popped in here and there on international servers lately and I've been very frustrated with what I shall call Insim spam. There are constant, distracting messages at the top left of the screen: person x set a great first sector, person y set a great lap and person z beat his pb in sector two. You beat your sector I pb by 0.02 of a second, well done! Do I really care? This information is useless to me as far as I going as fast as possible in a race goes and most of the servers I've joined have had 4 or 5 people, I can't imagine how dreadful it must be to race on a server with 25 people. I am well aware that it is possible to block both normal messages and system messages using shift+- but sometimes, whatever the reason you want to see the odd chat message. [/rant]

So I'd like to kindly ask InSim app developers to build in a /disablemessages command or something of the sort into their applications where it is not vital information for the user. Either that or avoid displaying information about other users to any particular user. I'm sure that most apps have the option disable each particular message from the application menu of most of these apps also, so I'll ask server admins to consider what they chose carefully.

Or maybe we can beg Scawen for more shift+- settings in future and we can have a "disable InSim messages settings" to spare the InSim developers the extra coding.
the insim applicatoin messages are generally sent via the "host"
This is LFS Lapper, a very powerful program that is often misconfigured to have all of its capabilities enabled when really hosts should be more selective in the information they display. /personal opinion off.
Well, VCom has had option to disable it's printings for a long time (i.e. each guest can disable VCom messages for himself/herself).

Just do as I do... stay far from servers which spam useless nonsense(and often in cat size letters middle of the screen), which you cannot even disable .
Quote from Becky Rose :This is LFS Lapper, a very powerful program that is often misconfigured to have all of its capabilities enabled when really hosts should be more selective in the information they display. /personal opinion off.

Yep lapper is made to manage different sort of host (and leagues) and many hosts are misconfigured

@ Axus : try command shft+i and choose "hide" buttons to remove split times display
I wouldn't mind if LFS stopped announcing irrelevant PBs too. When I've never driven a combo before I don't really want LFS telling everybody that I'm 5 seconds off the pace, then 4 seconds the next lap, then 3.99 seconds the next lap...

And it's doubly embarrassing on servers like Dead Men Racing, where they are all so polite they congratulate every PB, and take great pleasure in handing out ironic congratulations to people like me who ought to be going faster!
#7 - PlusP
Quote from thisnameistaken :I wouldn't mind if LFS stopped announcing irrelevant PBs too. When I've never driven a combo before I don't really want LFS telling everybody that I'm 5 seconds off the pace, then 4 seconds the next lap, then 3.99 seconds the next lap...

And it's doubly embarrassing on servers like Dead Men Racing, where they are all so polite they congratulate every PB, and take great pleasure in handing out ironic congratulations to people like me who ought to be going faster!

Aint that the truth!
I can't remember the server, but one I frequent infrequently () must have LFSLapper with everything enabled and enabled at the default setting. I like Westhill in the FZR and this server does run this combo more than I see elsewhere, but really, should I be getting a "Great 1st split!!!" message when I am on a lap starting out in the pits? A 24 second 1st split is definitely NOT a "Great 1st split!" in the FZR by a long shot. I don't even consider my mid to high 17 second 1st splits on a proper lap to be great.....

LFSLapper is indeed a great piece of add-on programming. But I agree that the insim spam generated by a lot of servers using LFSLapper is ridiculous.
#9 - Goop
When I'd race on a Redline server running LFS-Lapper, I found that it could add another dimension to the racing.

You'd have kind of 'split war': you could apply extra pressure - and perhaps even force an error - simply by setting a handful of quick splits. Get them watching their mirrors, or just break their spirit

I agree though, it can get a bit much, and it really needs to be configured properly.
Couldn't agree more. I hate the servers with the horrible spam and avoid them at all cost. I don't mind having my own splits shown, and the progress, but why on earth I had to know if 15/16 people made a "great" split.

Quote from thisnameistaken :I

Njaah, they are only dead slow themself.

InSim application spam
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG