The online racing simulator
Tyre hoping
(21 posts, started )
Tyre hoping
Anyone who saw the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen this weekend saw Tony Stewart spin out from first place. This happened due to his tyres starting to hope whilst braking for the corner.

I've seen this in races in Estonia where cars in the middle of a slow corner have tyres hoping.

This is an advanced tyre model feature, but at the end of the day I hope it will be included

Remember, you saw it here first
LFS has this happen already (I believe).
#3 - Venus
Yes it does. Try braking on the first corner curb on Aston Club in fox.

Ven
Quote from dawesdust_12 :LFS has this happen already (I believe).

Ya that happened to me in a XRT recently at South City.
I know of it from using very extreme setups, like extremely mucked up on purpose, so I'd presume that it happens on a smaller scale.
What is tyre hoping? Is it some kind of deflections, malfunction, overheating, bending, explosion...?

googled it and still no idea what it means when your tire "hopes" or starts hoping whilst braking?

Or did playlife mean hop, like bouncing?

Quote from Hyperactive :What is tyre hoping? Is it some kind of deflections, malfunction, overheating, bending, explosion...?

googled it and still no idea what it means when your tire "hopes" or starts hoping whilst braking?

Or did playlife mean hop, like bouncing?

Yes, something like bouncing. It's actually the suspension bouncing during extreme braking, quite common to happen in NASCAR stockcar racing. The suspension starts to bounce causing the tire to "hop" up and down off the track surface.

It's common during acceleration in drag racing as well.
Quote from mrodgers :Yes, something like bouncing. It's actually the suspension bouncing during extreme braking, quite common to happen in NASCAR stockcar racing. The suspension starts to bounce causing the tire to "hop" up and down off the track surface.

It's common during acceleration in drag racing as well.

Thanks for translation.

Tire hopping, or is it really written tire hoping?
Hopping.
Engine mounts that are too spongy can excacerbate(sp) this as the extensive drivetrain flex adds to the oscillating traction available to a given tire.

I hope drivetrain flex is simulated in LFS at some point, I also wish my car flexed the same amount the XFR does. (none.)
To demonstrate best, here a video: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=gyYj0gmoSvA

You can see the tire hopping at 2:30 and 3:22 and see the effect it has on the interior at 5:06...
#12 - wien
Either way this isn't something you implement as such. Once the tire/suspension/chassis simulation is detailed enough stuff like this should just happen like they do in real life. Theres no need for Scawen to specifically go ahead and add a tire hopping feature.
All I see is a fat bloke at 2:30 and he's jiggling, not hopping. And another fat bloke at 5:06 making a lasting effect on the interior.
If you wanna see a really clear example of Tyre Hopping watch the chase in Bullitt, the Mustangs rear left wheel does it when McQueen floors it in reverse. Plus it's the best chase scene in any movie.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=36MFh4of6lE
Hmm.. has anyone counted how many times they pass the same green VW bug? May sound strange, but I just saw that scene for the first time, although I've long been aware of its reputation.
Quote from one of the comments on the youtube page :
Yea - the green bug ... my understanding is that they only had 2 days to shoot the entire chase scene. The part where the Charger hits the parked car (near the beginning of the chase) and McQueen overshoots a right hand turn, was not supposed to be in the movie (I believe). But, with McQueen revving backwards, then smoking the tires forwards, they decided to keep that massively cool part in.

Awesome cars, awesome chase and very good piece of film, btw. I've never seen that movie, but I'm definitely gonna order it.
The movie "The French Connection" has a famous chase scene as well. Supposedly, they shot the scene in actual traffic. The cannonball chase scene is cool, but I haven't seen it before.
#19 - Jakg
Seeing as this has gone to Car Chases i thought i'd post the inevitable link to Rendezvous
Quote from Jakg :Seeing as this has gone to Car Chases i thought i'd post the inevitable link to Rendezvous

A Mercedes going 85mph... how boring. And, it is not called "Rendezvous," it's "C'était un rendez-vous."
Ir The old days of Touring cars ! Lol Bounce Bounce Bounce Brake !

Tyre hoping
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG