The online racing simulator
Quote from CodieMorgan :
But I disagree with your point of view on macs!

As you should, seeing I was just mocking Jakg, becuase that's what he utters every time someone utters the words Mac, so I just had to bring that up.

Also Nathan, when Mac's used PPC processors, they actually did have benchmarks that had PPC come out on top of Intel, and kill it by tons, and then when Apple switched to Intel, they used different benchmarks, that showed that the CoreDuo's (Not Core2Duo), were faster than the best G5 processor.

Quote from Gunn :I'm sure that the four other people on Earth using Macs would totally agree with you.

Better hope Kuno's doesn't port NKPro to OSX then, becuase there would be like .04 people out of the 4 people who own mac's playing it...
hmmm ... iLFS ... sounds great doesnt it ?
Why do people keep pursuing this, It's stupid to even want a version for OS X, It's better to just in these threads to shoot down the starter and tell him a flat No, because if he had half a mind, he'd had already explored the Darwine/CrossOver Office route, and realized it runs too slow, and that running it in a BootCamped Vista or XP is better on so many ways, FPS, GFX quality, and the fact that getting anything outside of a momo (in combined mode nonetheless) is very difficult, and for what gain?

To play LFS in OSX is pointless, OSX should be left to all it's great games, like... Photoshop, not waste everyones time dreaming about a version of LFS in OSX.
#29 - Jakg
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Jakg, Mac's have great games, like Halo, Doom 3, Quake 4, Doom 2, Doom 1, UT 2004, UT2003, UT, UT2007, Photoshop... Games that you beat on PC like 6 years ago... but they are still fun, because you get the joy of random kernel panics while playing.

Also Frokki, You can play LFS in linux and OSX rather decently, but nothing beats native, the FPS is decent, but nothing to phone home about.

In the Mac ads they say a "Mac is for fun stuff", yet Diablo 2 is STILL in the list of 20 top selling Mac games.
Quote from Jakg :In the Mac ads they say a "Mac is for fun stuff", yet Diablo 2 is STILL in the list of 20 top selling Mac games.

Their certainties, our fun.
Quote from CodieMorgan :Macs render video and sound far better than windows does in most respects!

Sir, please step away from the crack pipe, thank you.

Digital video and digital audio is 1s and 0s despite the platform. If you have two professionals using their software- and hardware-of-choice on different platforms, you simply cannot draw crazy conclusions that somehow different UI yields 'far better' results.

I use a Mac at the office and a PC at home. Quality of my work or productivity neither drops or raises during the 20 minute walk between the two places.
At the original poster, taking an educated guess you would not have to re write too much to get it working on OSX. (that really depends on what you call alot i suppose) the main problem i would imagine is direct X. Thats only available on windows the game uses it for its rendering (drawing stuff on the screen). So in order for LFS to work natively on OSX he would have to switch over to OpenGL . i can't imagine all the physics, game code, AI being platform dependent, so i think thats the main barrier. But still makes no sense to do it, are there any drivers available for wheels on mac?.

This is one of the reason why M$ has such a tight grip, things from a development stand point are so much easier than on OSX or Linux.
the mac now has intel prosessors so it can play LFS. just ask Sponge
It can play LFS, what do you think I've been doing, but I play it in Windows, by booting into it. I think these people who go "ZOMG! LFS IN OSX!!" should be banned, because realistically:
1) It will never happen
2) It's a stupid thing for people to want to happen
3) Why waste the developers time for about 3 people to play it, especially because OSX has nearly non-existant wheel drivers.
Quote from CodieMorgan :Macs render video and sound far better than windows does in most respects!

Yeah, and a TV dinner microwaved by an Italian tastes far better then the same TV dinner microwaved by someone from France.
Quote :it gives me trouble free time, it does all i want it to do and more

But it don't run LFS! :hihi:

sorry
Quote from lalathegreat :i can't imagine all the physics, game code, AI being platform dependent, so i think thats the main barrier. But still makes no sense to do it, are there any drivers available for wheels on mac?.

There are no standard cross platform calls for high resolution timing, etc. so unless Scawen's using a third party library, I can highly believe that those "modules" are platform dependant.
#38 - wien
Quote from the_angry_angel :There are no standard cross platform calls for high resolution timing, etc. so unless Scawen's using a third party library, I can highly believe that those "modules" are platform dependant.

The actual timing code is minuscule though (and should be abstracted away where used). It's hardly a big job to replace the call to QueryHighPerfCounter with the OSX/Linux equivalent. Smile
Quote from wien :The actual timing code is minuscule though (and should be abstracted away where used). It's hardly a big job to replace the call to QueryHighPerfCounter with the OSX/Linux equivalent. Smile

What should be, and what is aren't always the same Smile plus it's not just all the timings stuff. Imagine a world whereby an app was envisaged for a single platform, a platform where an abstracted SDK was already available. Wouldn't you use that SDK and forget abstracting yourself? Smile

Theoretically abstracting everything is a nice idea. In practise it.. well you know Wink

(yes, this is all circumstantial and guess work, I have no idea how the team code and honestly, I don't care - its their baby at the end of the day, and they can do whatever they want Smile).
#40 - wien
Quote from the_angry_angel :Theoretically abstracting everything is a nice idea. In practise it.. well you know Wink

All too well, believe me. Smile There's way too much platform specific crud in the stuff I've written over the years (though a lot less since I discovered boost), but for "simple" things like timing there's really no reason not to do it The Right Way™. All you really need the platform specific API for is getting the amount of micro/nano-seconds between time A and time B. Just wrap that up in a simple class with implementations for each platform, and the rest is easily layered on top of that... That's what I do in my "engine" anyway.

File handling/networking/threading/input/sound is a different ballgame though, and keeping all that nicely abstracted and platform neutral can be quite a chore if you're not going to rely on external libraries. Smile

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG