The online racing simulator
Wisdom Teeth
(41 posts, started )
he does have a point in some ways
round here pretty much everyone who had braces (which in turn is pretty much everyone) got theirs removed before they even got remotely to the point of breeaking through for no reason whatsoever
It could also be that the dentist thought the wisdom tooth would cause problems later, even if they were OK for the time being. I would presume that the dentist can see (if he took x-rays) if the wisdom tooth are growing in such a direction that they would press against the other teeth, thus giving a reason to remove them as a pre-emptive operation.

It could of course also be that the dentist did it just for the money like Cobra said, but at least mine were causing some pain already when they were removed.
my best guess is that its a not necessary mostly cosmetic procedure ... just like most braces are
Quote from Shotglass :my best guess is that its a not necessary mostly cosmetic procedure ... just like most braces are

Wisdom teeth.. cosmetic? Doesn't seem plausible, you can hardly see them even if you try
the point is like you said that they could potentially put pressure on the rest of the teeth thus "ruining" the result of giving the patient braces
Quote from Batterypark :It could also be that the dentist thought the wisdom tooth would cause problems later, even if they were OK for the time being. I would presume that the dentist can see (if he took x-rays) if the wisdom tooth are growing in such a direction that they would press against the other teeth, thus giving a reason to remove them as a pre-emptive operation.

It could of course also be that the dentist did it just for the money like Cobra said, but at least mine were causing some pain already when they were removed.

LOL yeah it was, but you're also right in way. Dentists can be just as bad as auto mechanics when it comes to ripping people off.
I remember a case a few years ago where this dentist got convicted of fraud and malpractice. basically by performing work that wasn't needed. Like fillings for people without cavities. I don't remember what all else the idiot was "pulling off" on people, but I remember the fake cavities.
As far as wisdom teeth goes, I'm a mutant, mine came in before I was 13, yet I didn't have to start shaving until I was 27.

I had to have a molar pulled out about 18 months ago. I didn't have any cavities. but I had a nasty abcess. I had a small crack in my tooth for like decades. When I was younger, I could only eat two bites out of a candy bar, before I had extreme pain in my whole mouth. since I had the tooth pulled, I can eat all the candy I want.
except for now, I'm just too old to eat all the candy I want

@ Mrrodgers..... Was it Sanity you lost? I know after my kids were born, mine went out the window.
Quote from Racer Y :@ Mrrodgers..... Was it Sanity you lost? I know after my kids were born, mine went out the window.

Yes, indeed, both you and Jakg are correct. Peace and sanity stomped to the ground and crushed like a grape after kids are born. Just look at me now, 3:15 in the morning and I'm on the LFSForum posting in the off-topic section.

I'm going to bed so I can wake up in 2 hours to kids poking me in the face yelling "Wake up Dad! Is he dead? Why won't he open his eyes?" then the wife asking all day, "Why are you so grumpy?" I'll blame it on LFS .
Quote from mrodgers :
I'm going to bed so I can wake up in 2 hours to kids poking me in the face yelling "Wake up Dad! Is he dead? Why won't he open his eyes?" then the wife asking all day, "Why are you so grumpy?" I'll blame it on LFS .

Wait until they get older, then you wont get them out of bed without a bucket of water to throw over them!

As for being grumpy, I blame that on either:
a) The Wife (if I didnt get any! )
b) The kids (for being a PITA)
c) My Age..(old men are SUPPOSED to be grumpy!)
It is now day three and my mouth is still swollen as anything, everything is sore and i feel constant pressure in my jaw. The right side of my mouth is perfect, no pain (still swollen) but not sore. Its the left side that is causing the trouble...this is going to be a long week lol.
Just take it easy, the pain and inflamation peak for a few days, then drop off within a week or so. You might have tiny bulges (you would only notice them by feeling for them with your fingers) on your jaw as long as a month afterwards (in my case), but the only real ordeal will happen more or less two days after the op till about a week after it.
I had all four removed. The bottom two were angled about 90 (horizontal) and 45 degrees. One of the docs mentionned it was probably the cause of my jawbone articulations cracking (like you can crack your knucles, for example).

Within four days I was ballooned bigger than my hands could cover on each side. Not least because I thought it was a good idea to pose for my brother to draw a portrait while I added to the morphology by grinning like
Quote from mrodgers :I'm going to bed so I can wake up in 2 hours to kids poking me in the face yelling "Wake up Dad! Is he dead? Why won't he open his eyes?" then the wife asking all day, "Why are you so grumpy?" I'll blame it on LFS .

Quote from ans7812 :It is now day three and my mouth is still swollen as anything, everything is sore and i feel constant pressure in my jaw. The right side of my mouth is perfect, no pain (still swollen) but not sore. Its the left side that is causing the trouble...this is going to be a long week lol.

Yeah, me too. I have all those same symptoms. True the kids woke me up after 2 hours of sleep and we all stumbled into the car and took a ride. Took them to the cheese factory where I bought some cheddar with habinero and jalapeno peppers and promptly ate a giant chunk in the car forgetting that I didn't buy something to drink. Then, after eating hot sausage for dinner after we got home, I'm still spitting out blood....

Just reading this thread has made me sick from the stomach. I am a big wuss when it comes to dentists and teeth. I had a painful and bad experience when i was a child and from then I have always hated going to the dentists as I still do now.

I had a xray of my teeth when I was 15 and I was told my wisdom teeth were growing wonky and will cause serious problems later on. I ignored the dentists advice on to have them removed and just waited to see what happens. I am still not sure if they have come through or not but so far I have no problems with any of my teeth so touch wood i won't in the future. Just reading this thread and thinking of having my wisdoms yanked out scares the living s**te out of me.

I find it hard enough to have a filling without anaesthetic but i have gotten use to that now....

brrr teeth!
I'd wager the odds are that the longer you wait, the worse the post-op experience will be. So by your terms, you should be booking an appointment with a dentist asap.. If they are growing crooked, their screwing with the other teeth is independent of whether they've emerged from your gums or not.
Just don't schedule the operation less than two weeks before any important speeches you need to make
Quote from Breizh :I'd wager the odds are that the longer you wait, the worse the post-op experience will be. So by your terms, you should be booking an appointment with a dentist asap.. If they are growing crooked, their screwing with the other teeth is independent of whether they've emerged from your gums or not.
Just don't schedule the operation less than two weeks before any important speeches you need to make

What i heard is actually the contrary. The dentist explained that if you wait until the wisdom teeth grow fully, they are easier to extract because the whole tooth is not embedded in the jaw bone anymore. Instead, if you take them out early like i did, the WHOLE tooth is under the bone and therefore a huge incision must be made in order to chisel out the tooth. The problem is if i waited, the rest of my teeth could have gotten crooked. Kinda a Catch 22.
The latter is what I meant to warn Madman about. I had been suspecting a benign gum infection of some kind as the cause of my rear gums swelling and was biting down on them hard for days at a time (!) to stop the bulge getting in the way of properly chewing...
From what Madman says, he intends to wait past the right time for fear of a few days of pain (they'll happen whatever he chooses to do), hence my suggestion.
Quote from Madman_CZ :Just reading this thread has made me sick from the stomach. I am a big wuss when it comes to dentists and teeth. I had a painful and bad experience when i was a child and from then I have always hated going to the dentists as I still do now.

I had a xray of my teeth when I was 15 and I was told my wisdom teeth were growing wonky and will cause serious problems later on. I ignored the dentists advice on to have them removed and just waited to see what happens. I am still not sure if they have come through or not but so far I have no problems with any of my teeth so touch wood i won't in the future. Just reading this thread and thinking of having my wisdoms yanked out scares the living s**te out of me.

I find it hard enough to have a filling without anaesthetic but i have gotten use to that now....

brrr teeth!

My dad had all his top teeth removed when he was in his early thirties. They gave him dentures. I don't know exactly why they yanked ALL of his teeth, but they did. Well they screwed up and left this little itty bitty piece of a root still there. His gums grew over it. This little remnant decomposed and spread a nasty infection thru his system and it settled on a couple of vertebrae. this tooth remnant almost killed him. he was in a coma for like two months. It had spread into his lungs, giving off pneumonia like symptoms. any ways, it pretty much ate away at his back bone and almost severed his spinal cord. He got those teeth pulled in the 1970's ('74?) and the nastiness didn't occur til 2002. Funny thing is, I don't think he really needed all those teeth pulled in the first place.

Wisdom Teeth
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG