The online racing simulator
Why do LFS players call oval racing NASCAR?
Before you get the idea, no, I am not an oval basher, I race on oval servers quite often. What does confuse me is why LFS players call any racing on the oval NASCAR. For those of you that don't know, NASCAR is not the only oval racing league in the world guys! Wake up! There are racing series like CASCAR, Arca ReMAX, Hooters Pro Cup, and many more. Also, none of the cars in LFS resemble a stock car configuration. Most of the time, you are likely to be behind the wheel of a GTR car, F08, or the BF1. Hard to say any of those are NASCAR stock cars.
Quote from h3adbang3r :There are racing series like CASCAR, Arca ReMAX, Hooters Pro Cup, and many more.

NASCAR is big, therefore the general population only thinks of NASCAR.

Who do you think outside of North America had really heard of those other series? By in large, they are pretty insignificant.
#3 - ajp71
Well to us they're all unsophisticated heavy, small block V8, front engined spaceframe cars with solid rear axles, locking diffs and rolled sheet steel bodywork which go round and round in circles like we were last fascinated by in Europe at Brooklands before the war (and btw John Cobb airborne at 160mph in a 2 ton single seater is slightly more exciting than current stock car racing ).

Call them what you like, NASCAR, CASCAR, ASCAR they're all the same thing to us most of them have CAR in their name.
Out of the ones you mentioned, I only know CASCAR. I also know Indy Car runs on ovals sometimes too.
#5 - ajp71
Oh yes I should clarify the European motorsports enthusiasts classification of oval racing formulae:

American single seater on an oval - Indy car
American single seater on a road course - Champ car
Stock car on an oval - NASCAR
Stock car on a road course - lost
Let me ask you this... When you blow your nose, do you use a kleenex? Are you sure? You sure it's not Puffs, or Cottonelle, or any other brand of tissue? Kleenex is the brand name, yet most everyone uses it as a general name for tissue.

Here's another one... You ever go picnicing or partying and use one of those cheap white disposable foam coolers? Or do you know what that packaging that your computer was in is called? What type of cup do you put coffee in? A styrofoam cup? Nope! It's possible, but Styrofoam is a brand name product manufactured by Dow Chemical, yet everything that is made from polystyrene is called styrofoam.

NASCAR, or I should say nascar because rarely do people use it like the acronym it is, is the general name that is taken by the general public from the actual "brand" name of the most widely known oval racing series.

[off-topic]Here's something interesting.... Do you know how dangerous "styrofoam" really is? Next time you see a box trailer running down the highway, think how it could be hauling raw polystyrene beads before being molded into that foam coffee cup or packaging. Think how they expand polystyrene by pressurizing the polystyrene pellets with either butane or pentane, and if they don't let it cure long enough before loading into an enclosed container for shipment, that butane will be dissipated out of the beads and fill that enclosed container with explosive gas. Imagine opening up the trailer, while smoking a cigarette after your expanded polystyrene arrives in your foam coffee cup manufacturing plant if the company producing the polystyrene beads were in a hurry to get the shipment out.....
Actually, Americans tend to adopt genericised brand names more readily than we do in the UK.

The one that really baffled me was a recipe book that asked me to include a Parkay Spread Stick - I didn't have a clue what one of those was, so I had to go next door and ask my neighbour! Would it have been so hard to just write "4oz Butter"?

I just googled it, and there are loads of recipes out there that refer to butter as Parkay Spread Stick! "1 tbs Parkay Spread Stick" - how the hell am I supposed to measure a tablespoon-full of stick? What kind of lunatic cooks do you have over there?!?

illepall
#8 - ajp71
Quote from thisnameistaken :Actually, Americans tend to adopt genericised brand names more readily than we do in the UK.

Yeah we have some but we definitely refer to tissues as tissues and butter as butter. I suppose we have some though like, a vacum cleaner is a hoover, a digger is a JCB, acrylic is called perspex and a lump of rust is called a Fiat
Quote from h3adbang3r :There are racing series like CASCAR

No there isn't CASCAR no longer exists. It's now the NASCAR Canadian Tire Super Series (or something to that effect :P)

Quote from Aiden McGeady :Out of the ones you mentioned, I only know CASCAR. I also know Indy Car runs on ovals sometimes too.

There is no such series as 'Indy Car' any more. It split into the IRL and CART many years ago. IRL is now something else (forget the name) and CART is now Champ Car.

Quote from ajp71 :Oh yes I should clarify the European motorsports enthusiasts classification of oval racing formulae:

American single seater on an oval - Indy car
American single seater on a road course - Champ car
Stock car on an oval - NASCAR
Stock car on a road course - lost

ROFL

Quote from thisnameistaken :The one that really baffled me was a recipe book that asked me to include a Parkay Spread Stick

What? Kev cooks? FAAAAG! har har

In all honesty, though, I've never heard of 'Parkay Spread Stick.' I thought Parkay was a flooring type? Must be an American thing.

Quote from ajp71 :Yeah we have some but we definitely refer to tissues as tissues and butter as butter. I suppose we have some though like, a vacum cleaner is a hoover, a digger is a JCB, acrylic is called perspex and a lump of rust is called a Fiat

Over here we call those "GM."
i dont call oval racing NASCAR
I don't know for you guys, but I prefer a NASCAR race on Infineon raceway, with about 5 passes per lap over any F1 race since a good lot of years with no passes on track at all. NASCAR go way slower on a road circuit, yes, and the pilots probably not as experimented on road tracks, but to me, NASCAR racing on road courses is way more interesting than an F1 race.
Quote from MAGGOT :Over here we call those "GM."

Oh don't give me that, Maggot, you guys up there LOVED the 1995 Chevy Lumina, I know, we quit making the energy absorbers (more of that expanded plastic foam I was talking about, except they are made from polypropolene ) in 1999 for the US, but had to keep our old molding tools running for you guys for years after that generation of Lumina had passed on....
Quote from MAGGOT :
I thought Parkay was a flooring type? Must be an American thing.

Um... parquet? Pronounced pretty much the same anyway.
Quote from mrodgers :Oh don't give me that, Maggot, you guys up there LOVED the 1995 Chevy Lumina, I know, we quit making the energy absorbers (more of that expanded plastic foam I was talking about, except they are made from polypropolene ) in 1999 for the US, but had to keep our old molding tools running for you guys for years after that generation of Lumina had passed on....

Ok ok... so I liked the Lumina... sorta. I'd rather have me a sexy DeTomaso Pantera, though.

Quote from Batterypark :Um... parquet? Pronounced pretty much the same anyway.

Those crafty French....
Cascar is canadian. and i think its still going
yes going in circles can get repetititive. but try doing laps on Fe1 or a 24hour race. that gets repetitive too. there is a element of skill in nascar: when to brake for corners, pit stop stratigy, and setup.

BTW I prefer the grand am cup. listening to the rotary mazda or the flat 6 0of a 911 just brings a grin to my ears.
Quote from boosterfire :I don't know for you guys, but I prefer a NASCAR race on Infineon raceway, with about 5 passes per lap over any F1 race since a good lot of years with no passes on track at all. NASCAR go way slower on a road circuit, yes, and the pilots probably not as experimented on road tracks, but to me, NASCAR racing on road courses is way more interesting than an F1 race.

You can recreate a NASCAR race in your toilet each time you flush. Agreed F1 isn't great, but we have so many other racing series with left and right turns which is better than Flushcar. BTCC for example.
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :Cascar is canadian. and i think its still going

As per my post, it's not CASCAR any more, and as such is no longer 'Canadian.'

Quote :BTW I prefer the grand am cup. listening to the rotary mazda or the flat 6 0of a 911 just brings a grin to my ears.

I'm amased NASCAR hasn't ruined the Rolex Series like it has Oval racing. Oh wait... they've run friday night races at ovals with chicanes as a support series for NASCAR. I guess they have ruined it, or at least are starting to. Too bad, the Rolex series has some great racing when they get to race on REAL roadcourses.

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :You can recreate a NASCAR race in your toilet each time you flush. Agreed F1 isn't great, but we have so many other racing series with left and right turns which is better than Flushcar. BTCC for example.

ROFL
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :You can recreate a NASCAR race in your toilet each time you flush. Agreed F1 isn't great, but we have so many other racing series with left and right turns which is better than Flushcar. BTCC for example.

Oh great. Another ignorant person about to be flamed and then hide in his hole for being wrong.
Quote from h3adbang3r :Oh great. Another ignorant person about to be flamed and then hide in his hole for being wrong.

How am I wrong, watching 40odd cars drive around and around in circles is no different then watching crap go down the toilet. The only difference is after I take a crap I feel good. F1 has always bored me, not enough action, which is why I'll take touring cars over it any day. Hence saying BTCC is better than Flushcar.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Actually, Americans tend to adopt genericised brand names more readily than we do in the UK.

The one that really baffled me was a recipe book that asked me to include a Parkay Spread Stick - I didn't have a clue what one of those was, so I had to go next door and ask my neighbour! Would it have been so hard to just write "4oz Butter"?

I just googled it, and there are loads of recipes out there that refer to butter as Parkay Spread Stick! "1 tbs Parkay Spread Stick" - how the hell am I supposed to measure a tablespoon-full of stick? What kind of lunatic cooks do you have over there?!?

illepall

That's because it was a cook book sponsored or written by the folks that produce Parkay Spread Stick, you twit. Stick to racing. You might have trouble with that cooking thing

Americans don't call butter Parkay.
We might call it oh, I don't know... Butter? Or if it is fake butter, we call it schmeer, oleo, spread, margarine (another brand name from France no less) and butter.

You know the really, really sad thing about NA$CAR? There are some drivers there that would be brilliant in sports car racing like ALMS and a few that could have even been good F1 drivers. But NA$CAR is where the money is in the US, so that is where much of the best talent goes.

Oh, and BTW, IRL stands for Indie Racing League, hence using the term Indie is proper. CART is the series that no longer exists. CART was broken up by Tony "I am taking my toys home and not playing anymore" George. CHAMP car and IRL were the results of that putting a major damper on US open wheel racing.

I can't stand IRL anyway. Ovals, if you have to run them, should be dirt. Open wheel cars don't belong on ovals, well except maybe sprint cars, but I don't consider them a real open wheel category. Of all the race track based racing, I think IRL is by far the most dangerous and the races are more boring than NASCAR. (Just my opinion, nothing more)

P5YcHoM4N! You're a Brown Coat??? Cool!
CART was around until a couple years ago. CART became Champ Car like 3 years ago I thought? I thought it before the split it was Indycar somethin or other, after the split there was IRL and CART? I know what IRL stands for, but I forget what the IRL is called now. (BTW, Indy is spelled with a 'Y.' "Indie" is short for Independant )

[EDIT] IRL is now ICS; IndyCar Series, right? My memory is coming back as I sober up..
"Why do LFS players call oval racing NASCAR"

They dont. They call it racing at the oval.
Quote from Hallen :

I can't stand IRL anyway. Ovals, if you have to run them, should be dirt. Open wheel cars don't belong on ovals, well except maybe sprint cars, but I don't consider them a real open wheel category. Of all the race track based racing, I think IRL is by far the most dangerous and the races are more boring than NASCAR. (Just my opinion, nothing more)

P5YcHoM4N! You're a Brown Coat??? Cool!

You know, after seeing a sports car race and seeing sprints on dirt, I have to admit the dirt tracks was a lot more fun to watch. I mean, thanks to LFS and all, I can appreciate what they were doing at the grand prix, but wasn't as cool as the outlaws or even the bombers.
I dunno though, watching a NASCAR race can seem about as intense as watching grass grow sometimes. And F-1??? Why do they even have that anymore?
Theres more passing and lapping at the Bonneville Salt Flats.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :How am I wrong, watching 40odd cars drive around and around in circles is no different then watching crap go down the toilet. The only difference is after I take a crap I feel good. F1 has always bored me, not enough action, which is why I'll take touring cars over it any day. Hence saying BTCC is better than Flushcar.

And I suppose IRL and Modified dirt is better? While ur at it why dont u just go on a rant about how stupid and boring Drag racing is. illepall

I'm so tired of saying this IT'S NOT THE TRACK IT'S THE COMPETITION YOU GET FROM OTHER CARS (Daytona/Talladega Finish anyone?)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG