The online racing simulator
USB turntable
(32 posts, started )
USB turntable
http://www.getinthemix.co.uk/I ... SB--ITT-USB-Turntable.htm
I'm thinking of getting one of these to transfer all my old vinyl to CD and MP3 files.
http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/images/uploaded/transfer.jpg" alt="" onload="imageAutoSize(this)" />
Anyone tried one of these? Do they do all they claim?
Anything to look out for?
I can tell you what to look out for.
You're transfering a vinyl to a file, it will sound strange in a way, at least strange compared to CD format.

I love the sounds of vinyls though, I wish people would sell vinyls more, (good/newer songs at least), nothing beats the quality sound of speakers from the 50s and a vinyl and radio from the 50s.

I've never heard about the vinyl to computer, I have heard of VCR tapes to video, and same problem with them: the file is only as good as the medium's format.
Ive never used one but they look like a great idea, fortunatly i have two technics 1210 mk 3's that i just hook up to my soundcard via a RCA to mini jack adapter,

And it wouldnt suprise me if that was made by numark as it virtually identical to look at, http://www.numark.com/ttusb
I wouldn't fork out that much...grab any decent old turntable and just get a RCA to minijack adapter...plug it into your Line In socket, and who needs £100 USB stuff?
I think you could better get some good CD players, like Pioneer CDJ 800/1000. They're proven to be good, and they're the standard in most clubs. And else you could get some cheaper CD players.

This isn't used by the clubs yet, and it still has to prove itself. If I were you, I think I would wait untill this thing gets bigger. And if you want to use mp3/laptop, you could also get Ableton Live maybe..

But think about it... Vinyl will always sound different. The light crackling, the very light variable pitch. I think DJing gets boring when you use CD/MP3, then you don't even need to stay correction the records.
Quote from Darkone55 :I think you could better get some good CD players, like Pioneer CDJ 800/1000. They're proven to be good, and they're the standard in most clubs. And else you could get some cheaper CD players.

This isn't used by the clubs yet, and it still has to prove itself. If I were you, I think I would wait untill this thing gets bigger. And if you want to use mp3/laptop, you could also get Ableton Live maybe..

I think he wants to transfer vinyl to his PC,

As for mixing on yer PC, http://www.atomixproductions.com/ This works great for me
Agree with posts above, use an existing turntable (which will probably sound better) and run the line-in to the PC. You'll need to run through some sort of phono-stage though (to undo the recording EQ and boost the signal to line levels).
Quote from XCNuse :I can tell you what to look out for.
You're transfering a vinyl to a file, it will sound strange in a way, at least strange compared to CD format.

I love the sounds of vinyls though, I wish people would sell vinyls more, (good/newer songs at least), nothing beats the quality sound of speakers from the 50s and a vinyl and radio from the 50s.

I've never heard about the vinyl to computer, I have heard of VCR tapes to video, and same problem with them: the file is only as good as the medium's format.

u can get most new rap and dance music on vinyl dunno about recent rock music thow
Quote from Bob Smith :Agree with posts above, use an existing turntable (which will probably sound better) and run the line-in to the PC. You'll need to run through some sort of phono-stage though (to undo the recording EQ and boost the signal to line levels).

My dad did that with his vinyls so he could listen to them in the car lol. Worked fine, although I can't remember what program he used as it was a long time ago.
Yep, I want to transfer all my old vinyls to CD for posterity, and so i can play them back on my ipod and on the cd player in the car. I know they will sound 'different' and am happy with that, don't let that concern you, it's for me to deal with.
However, if I take a line out of the amp and into the PC's soundcard input, I end up with a very big wav file, 20 - 25 mins long per LP side. I can then save this or convert to mp3 or another format on the hard drive.
But I need some software to do this else the sound is unstable and the file is massive.
Is there suitable software to record from a line-in cleanly over the entire side of an LP for input?
Quote from al heeley :Yep, I want to transfer all my old vinyls to CD for posterity, and so i can play them back on my ipod and on the cd player in the car. I know they will sound 'different' and am happy with that, don't let that concern you, it's for me to deal with.
However, if I take a line out of the amp and into the PC's soundcard input, I end up with a very big wav file, 20 - 25 mins long per LP side. I can then save this or convert to mp3 or another format on the hard drive.
But I need some software to do this else the sound is unstable and the file is massive.
Is there suitable software to record from a line-in cleanly over the entire side of an LP for input?

I use Magix Audio cleaning suite for my conversions...does vinyl, cassettes etc to MP3 on the fly
Just use Audacity. Borrow someone elses or use your own deck, connect with RCA/mini-jack. Do a test recording until you're satisfied. Remember, for the test recording you need to look up the loudest bit of a song and record that so the VU (signal) meter in Audacity jumps just below 0dB. NOT past it.

Then without changing settings, record a song, save as mp3 and record the next song etc.
Buy a stand alone CD recorder, record the vinyls to CD then rip the CD to your computer.
Quote from The General Lee :Buy a stand alone CD recorder, record the vinyls to CD then rip the CD to your computer.

Hmm, CD recorder = £385
USB deck = £96
Nope, not a well thought-out plan there, General.
recording via line in is a pretty bad idea ... no phono out is able to drive a line in properly
You didn't read my post then.
hehe i did but most suggested to use the line in directly
plus i suspect a phono amp isnt particularly cheap either
Quote from Shotglass :plus i suspect a phono amp isnt particularly cheap either

Any old hi-fi with phono-in and line-out fixes up the signal properly.
but at what snr ? (probably far better than underpowering the line in but still)
Also, you can record DVD's to CD also.

So if you have a DVD of a live band, then there you go
Thx for the link, my bid is in!
Just glad I could help a man of such honoured status as a mod
Quote from The General Lee :Just glad I could help a man of such honoured status as a mod

Go brush his boots with a toothbrush while you're at it.

USB turntable
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG