The online racing simulator
How to prevent tyre overheating?
(15 posts, started )
I recently bought S2 and have been racing on the ConeDodgers server CD1 (great server btw ), and it seems every race no matter how much I prevent wheel lock-ups, the front-left tyre always gets overheated by lap 6 or so.

Take a look at the screenshot, that happens every race leading to increasingly deteriorating pace during the final laps

I am using a setup from the Setup Field.
I don't know much about them setups but I did try adding some pressure and it didn't look like it helped.
It looks fine to me, you do know that when the tyre goes green, it is at its best quality (grammar?) It means that they have warmed up to the best temp for them tyres

Hope this makes sence
#3 - DeKo
Your back tyres look half decent, its your fronts that are suffering. If your on R2's, give R3's a run, then eek pressure out of them until theyre just starting to go bad at the end of the race. Also, maybe your driving style is pretty hard going, try using as little steering lock as possible.

The sets on the setup field are usually hotlap setups, and especially in the GTR's, good for about 4 or 5 laps at the most, probably. My suggestion would be to ask one of the fastest guys if they could send you their sets, most people are happy to share.
i got a tip , make sure your brakes dont lock plus i tend to roll through corners in an effort to make sure i dont over heat my tyres via braking

tho it all depends on what car your driving
Is that FXR? If so, put the torque split back, seems to be the main problem in most sets. Of course then the set wasn't designed for so much torque at the rear, so it will end up oversteery.

If you're new to the car, which seems likely, since you're very new to LFS, be smoother with your inputs; squeeze the throttle out of corners, and particularly with the fronts, be gentle and smooth with the steering.
Yea, it's the FXR.

I can't do much about smooth throttle inputs since I play with a gamepad and that means either being on or off the throttle.
And off isn't an option in the FXR since the turbo lag destroys you

Playing with the pressure and camber settings seems to help a bit. What are some good pressure and camber values for a 10 lap race around Aston National in the FXR?
Quote from saumilsingh :Yea, it's the FXR.

I can't do much about smooth throttle inputs since I play with a gamepad and that means either being on or off the throttle.
And off isn't an option in the FXR since the turbo lag destroys you

Playing with the pressure and camber settings seems to help a bit. What are some good pressure and camber values for a 10 lap race around Aston National in the FXR?

i use about 3* of camber, but in terms of tire temp, this will only affect how much hotter the inside edge gets compared to the middle and outside. if your front tires are too hot in general, then you need to balance out the amount of work being done by the front and rear tires better. pushing more of your engine torque and/or braking bias to the rear could help. less downforoce and/or higher tire pressures in the front could also help.

but none of those changes will be of any use if you are pushing the car too hard. if the tires are skidding at all, they wont last long.
That is a good thing, just wait a few laps afterwards and they will start to thin out and stay at optimum temperature.

If there is one thing I've learned from the spokesmen of NASCAR, grip is the deterioration of the tire tread, leaving the tire, and going onto the road (which causes marbles), as that tread wears, it becomes thinner, and starts to expell heat more readily, but once you get past that hot zone, then its all good until you run onto bald tires.
good point.

if i drive a steady pace with R2's my tire temps will usually rise slowly to about 105* then begin to cool off again. at the end of 10 laps they will be 85-90*, with plenty of grip.

if i push too hard, i'll start to feel loss of grip set in around 110-115*, and the temps will continue climb until i ease off. to get the temps to come down i drive very gently for half a lap or more, losing 2-5 seconds. but if your tires are too hot you are going to lose that much time and more anyway, so it's worth it.
I am guessing you may also be experiencing the dreaded gamepad lack of fidelity causing larger than required inputs (steering, brake and accel) which are contributing to the high temps.
If you haven't already search the forums here to find the thread(s) that talk about the best controller settings to use for gamepad's.
#11 - Gizz
well to be honest i personly think your fighting a loosing battle here and dont take that the wrong way

number 1 your pretty new here and are racing with WR sets, now its obviously your choice but these sets are normaly setup on the edge and its hard even for a veteren driver to find its HOTSPOT, as a e.g most quick sets will turn in like a demon but unless you have the HOTSPOT on breaking and turn-in / race line once the car initialy turns in it will understeer violently, looking at the rear tires compared to the front i would say this is part of your problem, and your not picking up on the understeer and compensating with more steering hence hotter front boots..

2nd thing is your using a WR with a gamepad, now i know some drivers using and a mouse or gamepad and there damn quick but 99% of WR sets were built up on a wheel and peddles, basicly unless your a wizard with tuning your gamepad its a recipe for problems like this,

final thing has already been said and that is WR sets are not 15 lap+ sets most kill the tires after 5 laps...

my advice is at least find a set that is gamepad friendly, 2nd try not to use WR sets (just becase that set is CAPABLE of producing stunning laptimes doesnt mean your going to be knocking them out anytime soon)

best advice is make your own sets although most drivers dont enjoy or have the time for this but it pays off 10 fold when you know why the car does what its doing and the bigest bonus is the set will be tuned to YOUR driving style...

hope that helps a bit
I reduced negative camber in the front-left wheel and increased the pressure by 15 psi in all tyres and it seems to be much better now.
The hottest it gets is around 107 degrees on the innermost edge, with the mid hovering at around 95.
Yeah, looks like excessive camber to me.

I generally try and set my camber so the temp is equalized across the tyre after half race distance, I then increase negative (decrease camber?) camber untill I get around 10DEG difference in the temps, i.e. inside temp 10DEG hotter than outside.
how can you see if a tyre overheats?
thank you

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG