The online racing simulator
Skidmark amount
(46 posts, started )
Skidmark amount
Anyone agree that the skidmarks are way too sensitive? I know some people could use them as a reference... that is probably the only argument against this, but still... they are way too sensitive and it just looks wierd sometimes.

An example of this is the BF1 just sliding around all the time and just leaving skidmarks as it normally goes on some corners illepall (that car drifts too much anyways). But for turns in which you know shouldn't lay down rubber, you get tons of skids everywhere and it just looks off :zombie:

Yeah?
I must agree. In some high-speed corners it can be extremely easy to lay down rubber, even with a high-grip car such as the BF1. It does seem a bit off.
I agree. But then I also think the track looks much better after 20 cars have cut a bunch of laps on it. Would be nice if there was an already skidded starting state for the track, then new marks weren't as sensitive.
lol like i said at a cops and robbers server the other day, we should all be getting tickets on account of laying tread
I don't know on what criteria exactly skid marks are produced. Is it if 'wheelslip' is detected of any kind, is it on wheel speed relative to car speed? Is it on slip ratio greater than 15%??

One or all of the factors that controls the skid marks is a bit sensitive I agree, but I don't think it suggests anything wrong deep down (not that you were implying that). Maybe Scawen can have a quick lookie at the code and make it slightly harder to produce them...?
I disagree actually. I think the quantity at which skidmarks are placed is just right. However, I think that sometimes they are much darker than they should be. As you said, Tweak, the BF1 slides around too much. At any slight hint of slide, you will notice a real race car laying down a strip of rubber, if you look close enough. I noticed this a couple months ago. You could only see it from a certain angle when looking at the apex or exit of a corner from behind the cars, looking in the direction they are travelling. When a car even just rotates a fraction of a degree it lays down a strip of rubber, albeit a faint one.

To sum it up, I think rubber marks are laid at just the right times, although sometimes too dark.
True, some skidmarks are very "light", but regardless of that, there are times where a car can just be having light amounts of understeer in LFS and be smearing skidmarks all over the track.

Example... a road car such as the FXO or something. If you are turning and having some high loads on the wheels, you just get understeer and heavy skidmarks all over the place. You don't see this in normal cars, and it looks silly in LFS. There may be like 1% of darkness added to pavement in reallife, but you certaintly don't see huge black lines.

So again, all I have to say is that they are too sensitive... because unless Scawen can make different shades... all it seems like right now is that the skidmarks are drawn at nearly any instance of wheelspin -- ala too sensitive. The skidmarks need to come on when wheelspin is peaking pretty high (for dark lines at least).

It is terrible to think you want to make a movie of the BF1, and as it goes around a corner normally you just see dark lines being drawn -- looks horrible. Come on Maggot, you hardly ever see that in any racing footage of an F1 car
Looking at Don's BF1 slowmo video of a South City Long WR lap, it doesn't look off at all. Not saying that you're wrong or anything, but it looks quite realistic to me in that specific video.
Quote from MAGGOT :I disagree actually. I think the quantity at which skidmarks are placed is just right. However, I think that sometimes they are much darker than they should be. As you said, Tweak, the BF1 slides around too much. At any slight hint of slide, you will notice a real race car laying down a strip of rubber, if you look close enough. I noticed this a couple months ago. You could only see it from a certain angle when looking at the apex or exit of a corner from behind the cars, looking in the direction they are travelling. When a car even just rotates a fraction of a degree it lays down a strip of rubber, albeit a faint one.

To sum it up, I think rubber marks are laid at just the right times, although sometimes too dark.

I'm with you m8. I gain great pleasure laying down rubber at turn in, apex and exit. And from my experience IRL tracks do tend to get marked up like this even if, as Maggot says, sligtly lighter in colour.
Quote from Batterypark :Looking at Don's BF1 slowmo video of a South City Long WR lap, it doesn't look off at all. Not saying that you're wrong or anything, but it looks quite realistic to me in that specific video.

Drive Westhill or something fast and really push the car to get a fast time, do a slalom in Autocross, pull away from a tight hairpin WITH TC on -- you still get a big burnout even then (I think even the TC needs to prevent this minor wheelspin, then most of the skids would be alleviated). Then you'll see what I mean. But the BF1 just slides too much anyways... forget about it illepall

Look at the road cars, I cannot see how someone could say that looks ok.... Heck even when you shift from 1st to 2nd in the FXO and while turning you get a chirp like any similar car, but you don't get some dark short line on the ground. Now maybe if you had 400+ hp, but this is just not the case.

Yet again a few people think the skidmarks are fine, and this will go untouched It is all just a visual thing that makes the track life "cooler" I guess (just like the squishy floppy tires moving to excessive amounts just so you know the game has the effect).
I agree and I'm sure this was mentioned immediately after the skidmarks were added, because I remember agreeing with it then too.
I agree with Tweak... The amount of rubber being put down is perfect, but the rubber gets scrubbed way too easily.

I don't know how to explain this, but it seems to me that one of the variables is determining the amount of rubber too much. Either track temperature, weight on the wheel, amount of slip, rubber temperature, or any other variable used to calculate how much rubber scrubs off, is off. On a scale of 1 to 255, 255 being the darkest skidmark, it seems like it draws a skidmark of 200 when it should really be just 25. So the skids gradients are there, they just build up way too fast towards the 255 end.
Quote from sinbad :I agree and I'm sure this was mentioned immediately after the skidmarks were added, because I remember agreeing with it then too.

Yeah it was mentioned when they were first added. Somewhere in the RSC pit of doom. I just wonder why nothing has changed.
Like I said, I think the timing is right, I just think they are too dark for most instances. If Scawen can implement different shades depending on the forces or something, then it would be fine.

I guess it hasn't been changed yet as there have been some more pressing issues at hand.
LFS might be correct with how it handles the shades of the skids (I've seen some faint ones (rare)), but LFS has problems with wheelspin and sliding in general. Because skidmarks are almost like the answer to the question if LFS puts its tires at the limit far too much... even when you are barely at the limit the tires can handle.

LFS just has an "all or nothing" kind of tire code, and it is too easy for a car to lay down a skidmark because of how easy it is to create extreme grip loss.
Quote from Tweaker :Yeah it was mentioned when they were first added. Somewhere in the RSC pit of doom. I just wonder why nothing has changed.

Yes so do I. Sorry if my post sounded like one of those "Already Suggested! Use the search function!" posts
Nah it doesnt matter, just as long as there is some support shown for this suggestion... and heck, yours was showing that people wanted this fixed 2 years ago or so
#18 - wark
It's a fickle thing. Maybe tire temps should have something to do with it? I've seen F1 cars lay down a grip of rubber (no pun intended) with an undetectable amount of wheelspin, and no smoke whatsoever--from a standing start. On the other hand, I've never seen an F1 car leave a trail of rubber by understeering.

Skidmark amount
It was so much fun the first time we got skidmarks, but back then we didn't have as many larger tracks, and even with only 10 people on a server, you can't even see the skidmarks you layed down after that spin out from the lap before.

I believe there should be a slider as to how long you want skidmarks to stay down, from 2 laps, to infinite. With infinite, keep in mind skidmarks are removed once the person leaves the track (pits, spectates, leaves, etc.)

Any ideas? Because to me, the racing line isn't enough to say "oh hey.. looks like some people have raced here", while skidmarks are 90% of what makes the racing line on any track visible.
Should be nice
+1
yes! +2
I was playing around on the CLC server last night. I took my LX over to an empty area and attempted to write my name with skidmarks from overhead view. I got as far as " |\ " for M before the first line disappeared. (just noting how skidmarks don't last very long).

I would like to see skidmarks stay for a very very long time. It would be cool if it was tied to the server so that the info was downloaded with the server info and you could see skidmarks from previous races and even from days ago. I have no idea if that could be possible. I've never noticed if there are even skidmarks from the current race going on at the time I join.
I'd like to see this, too. +1

As it is right now, do the skidmarks fade out or just disappear like in other games? I seem to recall seeing my skidmarks get less and less visible each lap until they were gone, but I have a habit of "fabricating the past." If it doesn't work that way right now, it should!

[EDIT] Speaking of which, how do you get a darker racing line? Many of the tracks I drive very very frequently and for long amounts of time have almost no visible darker line. It's a little annoying.
It's because the racing line changes spot and darkens/lightens depending on where the drivers drive on the track, and the less they drive on the same line, the lighter the racing line becomes until its nothingness.

As far as skidmarks go, I believe I discovered something I never have today, I think besides fading away, they also decrease in LOD apparently and become more jagged before they disappear.

You can however change the darkness of the racing line, its in the cfg file, there should be something called line or something, I can't remember.
Seems like there's only a certain amount of skid that can be left on a circuit. A good way to check this is to take an RB4 or anything that spins easily and do cookies for a bit. Make sure you don't do them all in one spot. After the same amount of time on each try, the skids start to dissapear (starting at oldest, working towards newest skids).

In this regard, I'd love to have skid marks last a lot longer than they currently do. +1

Skidmark amount
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG