The online racing simulator
Skidmark amount
(46 posts, started )
#26 - FL!P
Hmm... I have no inside information, but the way I guess skidmarks work is that each is saved on its own. So if two skidmarks are partially overlapping but weren't made at the same time, they wouldn't be saved as one large skidmark but still as two of them. Therefore, if tens of skidmarks were on the top of each others, each would still have to be drawn on its own. And soon or later LFS would use all of your machine's resources drawing skidmarks whose most wouldn't even be visible because they'd be hidden under others.
I think I was mistaken about the LOD thing, I think I mistook mine as someone elses'.

@FL!P, well, LFS draws them as polygons and uses an alpha layer and the racing line texture for the skidmarks, so really, to some extent yes they would be deleted, but just not nearly as fast as they are now.

At the rate people leave, pit, restart, etc. skidmarks would be reset quite often. So I can't imagine there would be that bad of a case of overlapping skidmarks, unless there was such thing as infinite skidmarks, but I don't think Scawen is going to do it to that extent.
Skidmarks should be printed onto permamnent (resetable) buffer textures so that your tyremarks from laast week will be there when you race tomorrow!
#29 - FL!P
Quote from XCNuse :So I can't imagine there would be that bad of a case of overlapping skidmarks, unless there was such thing as infinite skidmarks, but I don't think Scawen is going to do it to that extent.

Ah OK. Infinite skidmarks (or ones that persist for hours) was what I was thinking about when I posted.

I wouldn't mind them to stay longer, but frankly, so far their disappearance has never bothered me.
I think they're also layed far too easily. I mean, watch lap one of a xfgti race, and then look at the skidmarks- it's like a day's drift competition has taken place or something.

If there are fewer put down, they'll be able to stay there longer.
The amount put down now is fine; most are just too dark. I'd also like to see them fade in. Most skidmarks don't just start as a black line, they gradually fade in to black and fade out in most cases.

Just eye-candy, really. I'd like to see a dirty line, myself. We've already got dirty tires in the coding, lets get them dirty without agricultural excursions! :P
I think there should be a larger amount of skidmarks of course.... but first you need to realize that the skidmarks are way too extreme!!! Read this thread I've posted a long time ago... basically explaining that they are too sensitive. It shouldn't be this way. LFS tracks after a public race look very bad with skidmarks everywhere, even in normal racing conditions, the skidmarks just appear everywhere. They should either be VERY VERY feint, or not show at all, only just show in extreme grip loss situations.

Skidmarks too sensitive
I actually agree with Tweeker.

One thing to bear in mind though is that skidmarks do use up a significant amount of rendering time. I'm sure Scawens implementation is very good - but this kind of graphical effect involves an aweful lots of data, a heck of a lot.

The suggestion to transmit existing skidmarks on logging on, whilst good in principle, t's simply impractical because of the quantity of the data involved.

Keeping them for longer would impact framerates on less able machines, and may not be the first culprit new players think of when they post in the general section that "LFS is a pile of poo and runs slowly". So if this is editable, perhaps it needs some kind of dynamic recalculation in real time based on current framerates or something.

Anyway, i'm just pointing out that implementing it isn't necessarily as easy as changing 1 value in the source code, because it has rammifications.
There was a similar issue with people playing Oblivion who wanted blood decals to remain after a fight, instead of just fading away after a short time. Turned out the developers coded it like that for a reason- because the added decals just killed the performance of the game. (atleast, that's how I remember it- maybe I too am 'fabricating the past')

Having said that, I'd love to go to Westhill, and see 'snakey' lines all over the track made by the local hoons! Also, on that theme- I was going to get around to putting bullet holes in the speed signs at Westhill for my latest texture pack, but I forgot.
Rubber laid down to easily
It has been increasingly apparent to me that rubber is laid down far to easily in LFS. Taking a turn at normal speeds in even the street cars cause them to lay down tread, it really shouldn't be that way at all.

I've noticed this after watching a few videos of LFS recently, and the GTRs let down tread like they're little kids with black crayons and paper, every turn tread is drawn out.

I've done a burnout here and there and I've seen how hard it is to lay down tread, especially as dark and easy you can in LFS. As it stands, I think rubber laying should be about 50% - 30% less than it is now, it is just far to easy to lay down dark rubber.

I've done stuff similar in tires that you can literally hear little pebbles and dirt being picked up by the tires they are so sticky, yet it is hard to get a line even close to the darkness of LFS.
#36 - JTbo
Depends from tires.

When I turn to my parking spot there is thin layer of rubber, it clearly shows where tire has gone. That is with very slow speed, must be less than 10kph wheels turned to max.

But with other car it was not so easy as it had different tires, even I did launch wheels spinning there was not very dark layer of rubber.

Same goes with smoke and squeal too, other tires behave differently than others, now try to make that to sim, huh?
Well yea I mean when you get a tire scrubbing it may lay down some rubber, but don't you agree it's far to easy to lay down dark rubber?
#38 - wark
yes its true and after 2-3 laps tires are red,in patch X was perfect
#40 - JTbo
Quote from XCNuse :Well yea I mean when you get a tire scrubbing it may lay down some rubber, but don't you agree it's far to easy to lay down dark rubber?

Very very very dark rubber where you can't see tarmac underneath is perhaps quite easy to lay down, but haven't really tested it or noticed, mostly I see that there is rubber laid down when sliding and that is still so much better than what we had some earlier stages, no smoke, no rubber at all, that I'm still perhaps bit amazed how nice it is to see where I lost that tail

Quote :yes its true and after 2-3 laps tires are red,in patch X was perfect

That is not same thing at all and also very untrue
Oh I mean yea it's fun to see where you slid and all, lol I love that, but it's far to much compared to what it should be.
Quote from JTbo :That is not same thing at all and also very untrue

i think it was better tho.
Btw i think it depends on what kind of tarmac you make burnout.
Skidmarks.. hmm better word lol I just thought of tread, but.. owell.

Threads merged.
thanks tweaker.
Why do you bump decade old threads for no reason?
He posted links for a skid marks, its not bumped for no reason

Skidmark amount
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG