Theory about cockpit discussion
(32 posts, started )

Poll : What type of LFS Driver are you?

Drive/drove a car IRL and uses cockpit view
Drive/drove a car IRL and doesnt use cockpit view
Never drove a car IRL and uses cockpit view
Never drove a car IRL and doesnt use cockpit view
Theory about cockpit discussion
Hello all. Lets discuss about the cockpit discussion shall we?
I have a theory about people who use and who doesnt use the cockpit view.

Please read the post first THEN take your conclusions.

My theory is that most of (not all) people who use the cockpit and consider it a realistic view, do so because they drive/drove cars in real life. So what i am saying is that most of (you read, MOST OF, not all) people who use views other than cockpit (chase, bumper, custom not in car) maybe havent yet experienced driving a real car. I say this because, say it, if you drive in a real car, and then buy a Simulator that "almost" makes you feel like driving a real car, well, you want to look trought the driver's eyes.

So this is basically it, and now a few observations:
- This is a theory i came up after reading a few of the cockpit view posts. so i may be wrong or not quite right.
- if you drive/own a car in real life AND drive in chase cam or other than cockpit, well youre not different. youre just yourself.

in case anyone asks, i drive my father's car (in real life of course) and use the cockpit view unmodified.(i own a shitty wheel, still waiting for the G25) but i dont own it, so why i play LFS? to feel and do what i cant in real life: Race.

thanks for your time.

EDIT: I am not discriminating
if you use or not the view.

EDITED last line for clarification.
This will just turn into the other 3 millions threads on the subject.
I always use the incar view, I have tried with the chase cam, but the fact I have driven before doesnt effect my decision whether I use an in car view, or another view, sometimes, for watching suspension, for fine tuning setups, i might use a custom view or somethin. However, Niall is right, there are many threads already, they all need to be spliced/combined or whatever
Drive/drove a car IRL and doesnt use cockpit view

The reason is because you can't adjust your seating position, I would prefer to have the driver sitting further back like my real life driving position.
I'd love to drive cockpit view, unfortunately i get 10-20fps better with just the wheels...therefore just wheels for now
I drive in real life. Cockpit view in LFS feels more like someone went and spraypainted my windscreen with A pillars and a roof, making me look through a small square. Replicating the 'appearance' of reality isn't as good for me as replicating the 'feel' of reality - that of a far more unobstructed viewpoint with more sensory information.
Quote from Blowtus :Replicating the 'appearance' of reality isn't as good for me as replicating the 'feel' of reality - that of a far more unobstructed viewpoint with more sensory information.

This man speaks the truth.
Been driving in real life for about 7 years, but I've always used chase view in LFS. It is only like that because every other game I played involving cars or motorcycles I used chase view also. And I've been playing video games a lot longer than I've been driving in real life, so it's hard to suddenly adapt to a cockpit view.
I'm a RL driver and I prefer the cockpit view with real dials and mirrors (I was playing Test Drive on the C64 when I was 12 - that gets you used to cockpit view only ), but my framerate is so crap I'm thinking of switching to wheel view for pickup sprint races - with a faster PC I'd be fine sticking with cockpit. Offline I can get up to 50+fps in wheel view on my ol' box (at least 10 better than cockpit), online with cockpit view it can drop to less than 20 coming downhill to the last chicane at Aston, especially if there's a car or two near me. Starts are just un-doable even without my crap fps, so I spectate until the countdown, then I hit Shift+J at the last second so I start at the back. I more often than not finish in the top 6, even with a full grid - hell, I'm usually top 10 by the first hairpin You guessed it, CD1 at Aston
#10 - Gunn
Whether or not a person drives a real car or not is useless information. In all electronic gaming many people will take the path of least resistance. If they can see more track using wheel view they will use it regardless of whether or not they drive IRL. If cockpit view is more difficult for them, they'll take the easier option. No surprises there.

You'll find plenty of real life drivers not using cockpit view, for reasons that they can justify easily. Simply put, they believe that their chosen view suits them better and/or helps them to drive better in LFS.
I've been driving for over 20 years and have done more than 1 million kilometers, I don't like cockpit view much prefer wheels view as it compensates for some of the many other limitations of sim driving
I drive a car, and switching to cockpit view under LFS i wonder why i can't see the bonnet/hood.

I have to put over 100º of FOV to see both mirrors, i hardly see what's on center mirror, and there's a huge area of the monitor covered with black - the roof of the car -.
I voted for: never drove a car and uses cockpit view because:
I do drive, but before I was driving IRL I already used cockpit view.
Quote from Calvinaquino :Hello all. Lets discuss about the cockpit discussion shall we?
I have a theory about people who use and who doesnt use the cockpit view.

Please read the post first THEN take your conclusions.

My theory is that most of (not all) people who use the cockpit and consider it a realistic view, do so because they drive/drove cars in real life. So what i am saying is that most of (you read, MOST OF, not all) people who use views other than cockpit (chase, bumper, custom not in car) maybe havent yet experienced driving a real car. I say this because, say it, if you drive in a real car, and then buy a Simulator that "almost" makes you feel like driving a real car, well, you want to look trought the driver's eyes.

So this is basically it, and now a few observations:
- This is a theory i came up after reading a few of the cockpit view posts. so i may be wrong or not quite right.
- if you drive/own a car in real life AND drive in chase cam or other than cockpit, well youre not different. youre just yourself.

in case anyone asks, i drive my father's car (in real life of course) and use the cockpit view unmodified.(i own a shitty wheel, still waiting for the G25) but i dont own it, so why i play LFS? to feel and do what i cant in real life: Race.

thanks for your time.

Well, you got proven wrong. At current moment, it seems that it makes no difference whether you drove a real car or not.

Quote from Calvinaquino :
EDIT: I, in any wait, am saying that if you dont like cockpit view you suck. i dont care. it is just some researching.

Well thanks, I think you suck too.
Quote from PLAYLIFE :Well, you got proven wrong. At current moment, it seems that it makes no difference whether you drove a real car or not.

Agree completely

Quote from PLAYLIFE :Well thanks, I think you suck too.

i think you didnt understood or i wrote wrong. i make no discrimination
if you use or not the view. <- thats what it meant. sorry for that
Quote from fujiwara :I drive a car, and switching to cockpit view under LFS i wonder why i can't see the bonnet/hood.

I have to put over 100º of FOV to see both mirrors, i hardly see what's on center mirror, and there's a huge area of the monitor covered with black - the roof of the car -.

I drive3 a car and haven't been able to see the hood from the driver's seat since I got rid of my 1979 Ford Fairmont Futura in 1988.
Quote from mrodgers :I drive3 a car and haven't been able to see the hood from the driver's seat since I got rid of my 1979 Ford Fairmont Futura in 1988.

Are you that short .
#18 - Nobo
Quote from Calvinaquino :

Have been driven real cars and different cars a lot in the past 5 1/2 years of my driving licence and the feeling of LFS + G25 is as much far away in cockpit as in chase view from real car feeling.

But...i always had the same theory about wreckers. So people who are driving cars in real life , drive more cautios then people without licence :P
But thats just something you cant say.
Quote from fujiwara :Are you that short .

Nope, cars no longer have flat hoods. They slope down to where they are not in your view unless you sit up on the dashboard like my wife does...
I know several RL racers inc. myself and we all use wheels view. Cockpit is too restricting unless you have 3 monitors. FCV sucks if u ask me.
Quote from nikimere :Cockpit is too restricting unless you have 3 monitors. FCV sucks if u ask me.

I am prety amazed to see the number of people who doesn't play with cockpit view. By all these reactions i could see the FCV being cancelled in the next patch, it's fine by me.. you guys are too used to custom views and i can understand that is hard to change that... BUT, what i don't understand is how can you say that Cockpit View ISN'T the most realistic.. I have a 15" LCD monitor, it doesn't matter how big your screen is (of course, the bigger the better) but only with cockpit view you have the same conditions as a real driver.
Real driver's view is restricted, he can't see (in most cars) the end of the bonnet, the "A pillars" (is that the right word, the point where windshield and side mirrors are connected) obstruct your view, you can't see corners so well because of them, you don't see where the tires are pointing, etc, etc.. It IS the most realistic view, wheather you wanna face it or not. Just admit it that it is EASIER for you guys to play with other views and it's fine by me, i got nothing against that, but to justify them.. that's redicolous..
well said Boris.
Quote from Boris Lozac :what i don't understand is how can you say that Cockpit View ISN'T the most realistic..

I don't understand too, in fact nikimere never said it...
Anyway I agree with nikimere. FCV sucks. CV is much more limiting than real life vision, so I understand those who don't use it. Like me.
Quote from Boris Lozac :It IS the most realistic view, wheather you wanna face it or not. Just admit it that it is EASIER for you guys to play with other views and it's fine by me, i got nothing against that, but to justify them.. that's redicolous..

Well you have declared yourself correct so why even reply? Are you saying that the default cockpit view most accurately represents what can be seen in real life driving? There is no way possible at all that the view could ever be improved?

By what parameters are you defining realistic? Surely it isn't field of view, because in real life you have a much wider field of view. Is it that you can see the dash? I don't know about you but when I am racing I am looking out the window and not at the dash. So why have the dash filling up a significant number of pixels when I am not even concentrating on it, all that does is decrease the number of pixels available to actually display the road.

It is easier to use something besides the default cockpit view(I am not talking about driving with chase view, but something like the hood view) because IT IS MORE REALISTIC meaning that it better approximates what you can see in a real car GIVEN the limited nature of playing the game on a small lcd screen rather than having a full field of view.
The hood view (with just the top of the dashboard visible) is fine by me, i never said it's not realistic. But again, you don't have the A pillars so it's easier, the end of the hood is visible, so it's easier.. But it's fine, that's how i imagined the limit of the new adjustable Cockpit view, somewhere at the windhsield.
But the bumper view, wheels view, roof view, flying chair view, you can't with all the words in the world justify them to be realistic...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG