The online racing simulator
Road Style Tracks
(21 posts, started )
Road Style Tracks
How about doing tracks based on real roads of all the world???, It can be difficult to do, beacuse a lot of work is needed, but i think its a good idea. A kind of contest can be done in which players of all the world send maps and photos of roads that they want to see in LFS.
this has been mentioned many times before but not from this angle... i'd like to see some tarmac rally type closed roads in lfs.
hahahahaha, yeah i know it has benn posted before i do, but i think that my way of doing it cant be useful....

PD: nice video
#4 - JeffR
How about Nordschleife and Isle of Mann?
No,how much I love them through.

The fictional tracks from LFS are one of the best fictional tracks available,as they are a true challenge.

Track based on fictional roads would be awesome
Quote from JeffR :How about Nordschleife and Isle of Mann?

Heh, spoken like a true GPL fan! :up:
so even though its a public road... theres licensing on it?
Quote from Gabkicks :so even though its a public road... theres licensing on it?

I guess it is.

Maybe something like Macau would be awesome.
You start from a very wide tarmac road,and then you'll move into the tight roads of a city
I'd love a a track that ran along a long stretch of very wide highway or somthing then turns off into a windy two lane narrow road through the hills or somthing....that would be a dream
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I'm sure it wouldnt be hard for them to find volunteers.

How much would it cost to get the nurburgring into LFS? licensing and tools and such?
i personally dont want real tracks, as its much more fun doing the made up ones. besides, i ride the nurburgring in real life, and im doing the IoMtt(well mad sunday) next year
I do like the idea though.
As if there was a local rally or so, just a circuit consisting of closed roads...
Offcourse, its not possible. Either everybody learns to model and map the track of your neighbourhood, or (no way) you take pics and show maps of the environments and the devs are supposed to make something of it...

IMO tracks are too much work to be made "on request".
Full Isle of Man TT course please. I've driven it once in real life and stopped for lunch half way through...
Quote from thisnameistaken :I wonder if there'd be licensing issues for some of the old insane pre-war road races like the Mille Miglia or Targa Floria? Presumably not. I suppose Eric would need to hire in a full SWAT team of track modelling elves to get them done though.

The Targa Florio, Mugello and the full IOM are in development for GPL, so it can't be too hard
I fully intend to create copy of Big Basin Way leaving Saratoga, CA and arriving at the summit once track editors are released. Back in the 70s it was a public race track. The cops kinda left the sportier citizens to their fate and patrolled the roads in town. Sort of a "Well, if they're up there risking it, better than down here." attitude. Times have changed a bit, and there is a cop on every corner now.

Seriously though, one of the best roads ever.
#16 - Jakg
Quote from Sternendaal :No,how much I love them through.

The fictional tracks from LFS are one of the best fictional tracks available,as they are a true challenge.

Track based on fictional roads would be awesome

i was running the 0.2F test demo of a stick at school, first corner at blackwood and a "knowledgeible" person says "wow! tats Laguna Seca!" then, my friend is trying S2 of my proper memory stick, driving an XRT around the car park, and the same person says "look! an RX-7!" after i point out its a fictional car and anyway, its based upon a Mitsubishi Starion, which looks nothing like a RX-7 he replies with "Not the new one, the old one!" and walks off
I think as it was suggested above about the mountain roads, like really twisty so power isnt the key would be a very good set up, or maybe the idea about tight roads leading to really open curcuit, so half curcuit half street course lol
The XR's personally i think look more like the old rx-7's although i can see the starion in it.
Something like Mountain Sprint (an nK fantasy track) would be fun: steep bank on one side, guardrail (or certain doom) on the other, twisty bits and fast bits. Great fun in the Modena or Cooper..
I'm mostly happy with LFS tracks, but some road circuits or closed tarmac stages would be received with much applause and bouquets

OT: For those wishing for the full IOM track, check this out at the GPL forum: http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=206679
oh yeah...
...and now that the GPL boffins have "cracked" the 25km track length limit, the dreams of the Targa Florio and Mille Miglia are not just dreams anymore
We have some fantastic driving roads around western PA (US) and one of my wishes is to model these roads in a racing sim since we use to "race" them all the time in the college days. I wish I could model so I could do it in Racer. One of the main reasons I want to like Racer. I hope if/when we get a track editor for LFS it is an easy to use system so that it wouldn't take me years to do something and do it nice. For Racer, there's a particular "loop" I want to model that starts at work and runs up 20 miles on a nice twisty road, runs along the river for a stretch, then hits another road that heads south again back to my work. The stretch south is hilly, but fairly long straight stretches with a few nice high speed bends.
Quote from Slartibartfast :I fully intend to create copy of Big Basin Way leaving Saratoga, CA and arriving at the summit once track editors are released. Back in the 70s it was a public race track. The cops kinda left the sportier citizens to their fate and patrolled the roads in town. Sort of a "Well, if they're up there risking it, better than down here." attitude. Times have changed a bit, and there is a cop on every corner now.

Seriously though, one of the best roads ever.

Is this Highway 9 by any chance? I'm actually from nearby (next city over) Cupertino, CA. If you are familiar with the area, and you go down foothill (stevens canyon rd) towards the reservoir, there is a mountain road called Montebello that could provide for some serious fun in LFS. But I think that Calaveras connecting Fremont and Milpitas could be a great road to model.
Anyone in the US ever been to "the Tail of the Dragon"? I've never been there, but it's suppose to be the absolute best biking ride in the US. In Kentucky, I think, 314 turns in an 11 mile stretch or something like that, on public roads. That would be a nice one to model in a racing sim.

Road Style Tracks
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG