The online racing simulator
Throttle Cut
(54 posts, started )
Throttle Cut
Yes i used the search button and found a thread about this but it seemed to refer more to real life situations than what i want to know.

Will throttle cut on upshifts slow you do at all in the sim? I mean, will it stop you from getting 1.24s on bl1. I love the sound that is a result of the throttle cut but do not want to jeopardize lap times.
IMO it doesn't really matter unless you are pretty close to the WR - haven't been there myself, so I don't know how much slower it really is.

You would also have to be very consistent for it to pay off (while it's turned off).
Slightly slower lap time ,around 0.10 sec on average with it enabled, But I have a feeling if and When engine damage gets worked in future patches having it enabled will give you MUCH faster lap times .

And yes it does sound better.
#4 - Goop
By having throttle-cut set to off, you just do your own lifts. The less aids you have 'on', ultimately, the more control you have - much like doing your own 'blips' can control the car's attitude under brakes.

I think turbo cars benefit the most [from flat-shifting]; the turbo stays spooled up and on-boost. I haven't had it on since S1, and back then, there was a substantial differrence I suggest you do some tests
Quote from Goop :By having throttle-cut set to off, you just do your own lifts. The less aids you have 'on', ultimately, the more control you have - much like doing your own 'blips' can control the car's attitude under brakes.

I think turbo cars benefit the most [from flat-shifting]; the turbo stays spooled up and on-boost. I haven't had it on since S1, and back then, there was a substantial differrence I suggest you do some tests

i am currently half way through a test. I raced about 20 laps on bl1 with the xrt and throttle cut enabled. I took this average time and now, am going to repeat the process with throttle cut disabled
I can lose over 0.5 secs a lap with throttle cut enabled.
Completed the test,

Conclusions: (Applying to XRT on BL1 only) Lap times are at least .5 seconds faster, (as someone previously stated) with throttle cut disabled. Meaning you can't have a good sound without jeopardizing lap times :/
Throttle cut and blip should be removed, immediately. It should be a car feature and not a driving aid (makes the "No arcade modes, no steering aids - YOU have to do the driving" slogan kinda funny). Not only it's unrealistic but the sound that comes from flat shifting destroys ears.
Quote from deggis :Throttle cut and blip should be removed, immediately. It should be a car feature and not a driving aid (makes the "No arcade modes, no steering aids - YOU have to do the driving" slogan kinda funny). Not only it's unrealistic but the sound that comes from flat shifting destroys ears.

agree wholeheartedly
server side options at least
i think it should be removed completely because it is unrealistic, impractical, and sounds like crap. No one would ever do this on every shift in real life.
Uh eh what? Throttle cut on upshift option should be removed because the flatshifting sounds awful? What, so it should be always on? I'm confused. It's the damage what should be improved so flatshifting kills your car eventually.
Quote from Blackout :Uh eh what? Throttle cut on upshift option should be removed because the flatshifting sounds awful? What, so it should be always on? I'm confused. It's the damage what should be improved so flatshifting kills your car eventually.

The throttle cut enable/disable option should be removed. No one flat-shifts in real life as frequently as the "sim" does. Yes, the sound that flat-shifting makes sounds awful, i find that most people will agree on this. Also, you are right about engine damage, maybe if it is implemented, more people will think about whether or not to flat-shift. That might also be the solution. All in all i just think it is unrealistic to be able to do it for that long and that frequently without worrying about any problems or damage.
#14 - JTbo
I would say that flat shifting vs proper shifting is not very big difference at all and certainly will not stop one to get good times, there are much more of things to consider that are lot more important than such.

I always lift when shifting and I don't use any driving aids, I think that it sounds much more realistic when I do everything by myself.

Also I agree with Blackout, it is damage that should be improved so that you could get few tooth to fell of from gears if you don't time flatshifting properly and also it should have all real consequences even one makes shift in right moment and right speed.
Would be also good if extra stress would be recorded to car and that would be base of mechanical failures in future races, so one should care about car a bit, you could get new car if car is damaged very badly, but until that your car would get more beating recorded. That would be major factor to damage realism too, imo.
Quote from ans7812 : No one flat-shifts in real life as frequently as the "sim" does.

What do you mean with this? If the throttle cut on upshift is on, it's impossible to flatshift or produce the sound of it. It's a different thing if you are watching other cars online as sometimes the latency can make it sound and look that people are flatshifting all the time when they are actually lifting before the shift.

The option could be removed as it's not entirely realistic. Flatshifting will stop when damage is improved. Improving the turbo models should also reduce the need to flatshift in some cases imo, it's not necessary but the turbos are a bit slow at the moment.
Quote from JTbo :I would say that flat shifting vs proper shifting is not very big difference at all and certainly will not stop one to get good times, there are much more of things to consider that are lot more important than such.

I conducted an experiment with the XRT on BL1 and raced 20 laps with it enabled and 20 laps with it disabled. I took the average time for both trials and the difference was give or take, .5 seconds.
Quote from ans7812 :I conducted an experiment with the XRT on BL1 and raced 20 laps with it enabled and 20 laps with it disabled. I took the average time for both trials and the difference was give or take, .5 seconds.

But are you sure you weren't just improving your driving on the second run and the difference was all down to the cut disabled?

Not saying that flatshifting isn't faster, it usually makes some time with the turbo cars.
Quote from Blackout :But are you sure you weren't just improving you driving on the second run and the difference was all down to the cut disabled?

well i think that i raced fairly consistently, as i have been getting the same BL1 times constantly for a few weeks now. I don't think that i could have improved .5 secs in 20 laps. You never know though. There is some support to my findings because in any turbo car, flatshifting will keep the turbo spooled. If you enable throttle cut, the turbo drops quickly, then has to spin up again.

edit: just realized that you mentioned the turbo cars hehe
#19 - JTbo
Quote from ans7812 :well i think that i raced fairly consistently, as i have been getting the same BL1 times constantly for a few weeks now. I don't think that i could have improved .5 secs in 20 laps. You never know though. There is some support to my findings because in any turbo car, flatshifting will keep the turbo spooled. If you enable throttle cut, the turbo drops quickly, then has to spin up again.

edit: just realized that you mentioned the turbo cars hehe

0.5 seconds mean absolutely nothing to majority of LFS drivers, no gain at all.
Flat shifting gives you A LOT of advantage when racing closely, if you are in a straight line and flatshift while your opponent doesn't you'll gain speed faster, I've been in a lot of situations that i'm side by side with another car and when I change gears the other cars starts to fall behind, so it's really a lot of difference.
Quote from JTbo :0.5 seconds mean absolutely nothing to majority of LFS drivers, no gain at all.

Well, for the majority no. But if you are having a 30 lap race it could mean 10-15 seconds, and that is huge! And it's not a case if it means something for majority. These are some of the issues that need improving, I'm sure we can all agree on that.
Half a second? That's the difference between a terrible lap and a good one! I always use flat shifting in LFS, as there is no penalty (yet).
Quote from JTbo :0.5 seconds mean absolutely nothing to majority of LFS drivers, no gain at all.

....this statement makes no sense at all. maybe you thought i meant 5 HUNDREDTHS of a second. but no, i meant half a second and i don't know what sim you are driving but .5 seconds is a big difference.

Agree with the three above posters. It is necessary for faster laps but unrealistic and should be better controlled when more sophisticated damage modeling is implemented.
Test it on the drag-strip- any other test is relatively meaningless unless you can drive lap after lap within a tenth of each other.
It is faster in the road cars to have it turned off.
Quote from sinbad :Test it on the drag-strip- any other test is relatively meaningless unless you can drive lap after lap within a tenth of each other.

But with the new patch you can't make steady scientifically accurate starts anymore.

Throttle Cut
(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG