The online racing simulator
Throttle Cut
(54 posts, started )
Quote from Blackout :But with the new patch you can't make steady scientifically accurate starts anymore.

Oooh good point

Have to do a zillion runs and compare the best
#27 - JTbo
Quote from ans7812 :....this statement makes no sense at all. maybe you thought i meant 5 HUNDREDTHS of a second. but no, i meant half a second and i don't know what sim you are driving but .5 seconds is a big difference.

Agree with the three above posters. It is necessary for faster laps but unrealistic and should be better controlled when more sophisticated damage modeling is implemented.

Sim is called Live for speed and majority's laptimes varies that much from lap to lap or even more so that really is not really big help, what helps more is to learn spatial awarness and bit of tactical thinking, keeping head cool helps more too when we are talking from racing. Hotlapping is then another subject, but I think we were talking about racing here

Surely, some cars seem to accelerate faster on straights, but for some reason at corners those same cars seem to be moving chicanes that are relatively easy to pass also.

Maybe it is same thing as it is with unrealistic setups, there are ways to setup car to be much faster, but for some reason such setups are not used IRL, I prefer realism over faster laps, funny thing is that I still can win by driving slower laps, I just try to drive as I do IRL, so I don't crash too much.
Throttle cut just make it more real. You'll need a freaking powerfull engine (and to shift while giving throttle...) to have no throttle cut (or so) anyway it would kill your tranny
Flat shifting in the turbo cars (atleast the XRR) will give you engine damage over a longer period of driving. In the 24HR event at KYGP recently I had to enable throttle cut on up shift, just so as my feet could get a break. And over the course of 40/45 minutes the car would pick up engine damage (popcorn), and you would notice a small decrease in engine power so to speak.

As for it making you quicker or not well I don't think so, it probably does but when I use throttle cut I feel the whole process of changing gear just goes a hell of a lot smoother and quicker. Button clutch on the other hand, well theres something I know makes me quicker
Quote from Riders Motion :Throttle cut just make it more real.

Your foot is connected to your leg by a "hinge" called the ankle. You use that to cut the throttle by lifting your foot up letting the pedal deflect up, thus cutting the throttle. The throttle cut option in LFS doesn't make it more real. The actual action of lifting upon shift yourself makes it more real. Don't confuse the two here. Without proper engine/tranny damage, it is possible to shift without lifting. This is the unrealistic part, not that folks are actually using the lack of damage to flatshift.
Quote from mrodgers :not that folks are actually using the lack of damage to flatshift.

well they are, which is why i am asking to get rid of it.
#32 - JTbo
Quote from ans7812 :well they are, which is why i am asking to get rid of it.

And what will happen if throttle cut is removed? Even more people will flatshift, I guess, but for current flatshifters that would mean anything at all.

If you did mean that everyone should be forced to use throttle cut...
I prefer doing cutting myself, I don't have semi-auto gearbox equipped car that would do those by itself, so I really don't like to be forced to use such throttle cut or blip by computer, I am the driver and I like to be in control, not some silly computer.

Instead of forcing everyone to use throttle cut proper damage should be introduced and throttle cut and blip helps could be then removed from manual transmission option or perhaps there could be introduction of semi-auto, manual and auto gears with corresponding options available them IRL.
Quote from JTbo :And what will happen if throttle cut is removed? Even more people will flatshift, I guess, but for current flatshifters that would mean anything at all.

If you did mean that everyone should be forced to use throttle cut...
I prefer doing cutting myself, I don't have semi-auto gearbox equipped car that would do those by itself, so I really don't like to be forced to use such throttle cut or blip by computer, I am the driver and I like to be in control, not some silly computer.

Instead of forcing everyone to use throttle cut proper damage should be introduced and throttle cut and blip helps could be then removed from manual transmission option or perhaps there could be introduction of semi-auto, manual and auto gears with corresponding options available them IRL.

no, i mean they should remove the throttle cut OPTION. so you can't just leave it turned off and flat shift all the time. just remove the whole option.
#34 - JTbo
Quote from ans7812 :no, i mean they should remove the throttle cut OPTION. so you can't just leave it turned off and flat shift all the time. just remove the whole option.

Well, my car has no throttle cut so -1

That would not be realistic at all, much better to put some damage in.
UPDATE: Just completed another experiment on the strip. Used, FZR, XRT, FOX, LX6 and RAC. Did COUNTLESS trials to ensure accuracy and eliminate variables. In EACH car, the improvements were at LEAST .1 seconds greater with throttle cut DISABLED. Cars with turbo chargers were able to achieve times upwards of .4 seconds greater with throttle cut DISABLED. This means that flat-shifting in LFS DOES affect speed in a straight and according to my previous test, around a track.
Quote from JTbo :....That would not be realistic at all....,

but flat-shifting all the time is? i think not.

sry for double post
#37 - JTbo
Quote from ans7812 :but flat-shifting all the time is? i think not.

sry for double post

No, it is not, but at least we can now choose if we are realistic drivers or not. Also I'm really hoping to see new damage updates soon specially to see these issues fixed, but we never know when that is going to happen, until then we can se Boooooo to all flat shifters
Quote from JTbo :No, it is not, but at least we can now choose if we are realistic drivers or not. Also I'm really hoping to see new damage updates soon specially to see these issues fixed, but we never know when that is going to happen, until then we can se Boooooo to all flat shifters

lol i guess, but its just something else that makes LFS less realistic and could easily be fixed.
I see the cut throttle option only good for people who dont have a clutch, because, if you do, have a clutch, you could leave the cut throttle option off and just lift off the gas.

Edit:and again just say:
Quote from JTbo :Boooooo to all flat shifters

Quote from legoflamb :I see the cut throttle option only good for people who dont have a clutch, because, if you do, have a clutch, you could leave the cut throttle option off and just lift off the gas.

Ermm...call me stupid, but how do you need clutch to lift off your throttle?
if you dont have a clutch then when you lift the engine will cause you to slow down.
#42 - JTbo
Quote from legoflamb :if you dont have a clutch then when you lift the engine will cause you to slow down.

Hmm, what this has to do with issue?

If you keep throttle down and don't use clutch you can't change gear, you need to lift a bit to get gearstick out from gear and to match revs and then put another gear in, with clutch you don't need to match revs or lift throttle, however that flat shifting will cause damage to your streetcar components.

If game allows gears to be shifted without clutch and keeping throttle floored then that is unrealistic again.
Quote from ans7812 :The throttle cut enable/disable option should be removed. No one flat-shifts in real life as frequently as the "sim" does.

Not many people drive with a manual transmission and no clutch pedal in real life, either. What about people who like playing a 24£ sim as opposed to a 150£ sim (ie, S2 + G25) ?

Edit: Oops. And that doesn't matter for lifting. But I was actually talking about throttle blip -- if you don't have a clutch pedal, your only option would be to heel/toe or left foot brake and that's not realistic.
Quote from qoncept :Not many people drive with a manual transmission and no clutch pedal in real life, either. What about people who like playing a 24£ sim as opposed to a 150£ sim (ie, S2 + G25) ?

what are you talking about? you just made my point. No one flat shifts in real life as much as the sim does because their trannys would be shot. thats what the throttle cut option set to "no" does. it flat shifts....a.k.a. your in third gear about to shift to 4th and you're flooring it, then you push in the clutch, and DON'T remove your foot from the accelerator, change gears quickly and let out clutch. Thats what the sim does and if this happened in real life on every shift, people would be at the repair shop every 2 weeks.

BOTTOM LINE: IT'S NOT REALISTIC UNTIL ENGINE DAMAGE IS MODELED MORE EFFICIENTLY
#45 - JTbo
Quote from ans7812 :what are you talking about? you just made my point. No one flat shifts in real life as much as the sim does because their trannys would be shot. thats what the throttle cut option set to "no" does. it flat shifts....a.k.a. your in third gear about to shift to 4th and you're flooring it, then you push in the clutch, and DON'T remove your foot from the accelerator, change gears quickly and let out clutch. Thats what the sim does and if this happened in real life on every shift, people would be at the repair shop every 2 weeks.

BOTTOM LINE: IT'S NOT REALISTIC UNTIL ENGINE DAMAGE IS MODELED MORE EFFICIENTLY

So why do you urge to get game even more unrealistic by requesting forced throttle cut instead of requesting better damage? Certainly putting some damage into it is not too hard job and it would make much more sense than jumping from annoyance to another.

And please, don't yell, it won't help anything here.
Quote from JTbo :So why do you urge to get game even more unrealistic by requesting forced throttle cut instead of requesting better damage? Certainly putting some damage into it is not too hard job and it would make much more sense than jumping from annoyance to another.

And please, don't yell, it won't help anything here.

ok first, i clearly stated once someone made that suggestion earlier, that i agreed with it and that engine damage would fix this problem. Now the way i see it, the next update isn't coming for a while and if it does, it won't have somehting as big as damage improvements. So how hard is it to eliminate the option to turn it off until engine damage modeling is better?

Second, i wasn't yelling, i was trying to make it clear what my point was. I would have put an exclamation mark at the end if i was yelling
#47 - JTbo
Quote from ans7812 :ok first, i clearly stated once you made your suggestion earlier, that i agreed with you that engine damage would fix this problem. Now the way i see it, the next update isn't coming for a while and if it does, it won't have somehting as big as damage improvements. So how hard is it to eliminate the option to turn it off until engine damage modeling is better?

Second, i wasn't yelling, i was trying to make it clear what my point was. I would have put an exclamation mark at the end if i was yelling

They already have damage code on place as engines do get damage, they would need only to adjust that to be more sensitive, to level it was earlier and it would take care of such problem, would be very easy to do. However I have found out devs don't tend to make quick fixes for some aspect, they seem to like to make bigger improvements once they start with something so we don't really know when we see some improvement in this matter, however I'm pretty positive that it is not going to be removing option to disable throttle cut as that would mean that game will lose quite big part of 'sim like' behaviour there.

It would be bit same as introducing steering help or antispin, something very arcade like stuff.

I believe best option is to encourage racers to drive properly in first place, similarily like encouraging proper driving in T1. Then sooner or later we might see this issue taken care of by devs properly.

Capitals mean yelling, that is some internet code stuff
Trottle cut on upshift really slows you down, at least after my experience.
Bl2 for example, the lap after I turned it off, I beated my pb with almost a second -.- Well, of course, this was not only because of that, but I could see that almost all my lap after I turned it off, was faster than my old PB lap that I had struggled to get.
That was with RB4 btw.

The only thing that drives me mad is when you shifting, it`s like this :
wroooOOOOOMMmmm SHhhh wroo...
You get the picture, it sounds like hell, but goes a lot faster, at least in my case.
Quote from JTbo :They already have damage code on place as engines do get damage, they would need only to adjust that to be more sensitive, to level it was earlier and it would take care of such problem, would be very easy to do. However I have found out devs don't tend to make quick fixes for some aspect, they seem to like to make bigger improvements once they start with something so we don't really know when we see some improvement in this matter, however I'm pretty positive that it is not going to be removing option to disable throttle cut as that would mean that game will lose quite big part of 'sim like' behaviour there.

It would be bit same as introducing steering help or antispin, something very arcade like stuff.

I believe best option is to encourage racers to drive properly in first place, similarily like encouraging proper driving in T1. Then sooner or later we might see this issue taken care of by devs properly.

Capitals mean yelling, that is some internet code stuff

Valid points. No one is going to cooperate with the encouragment though...as much as i would like them too.

P.S. I'm using Internet 2.0
I have no device in my car that makes it magically cut the throttle when I press the clutch... Seeing as the cars in LfS mostly fall in the same generation as mine, how exactly would it be more realistic when you force the option on?

Throttle Cut
(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG