The online racing simulator
How the Heck do some guys go so fast
Hi All,

I've been racing single & multi AS-Nat, BF1 and my best time is 1:29:something but the top guys there clock 1:24:something. - I even asked one of them for his car setup which he gave me yet I was worse. For the life of me some corners I can't leave the breaking any later and the moment I give a pinch more gas comming out the corner I end up spinning - I'm on the raggard edge so how do they do it? BTW the top hot lap is 1:21:something - what am I missing??
#2 - RiGun
Maybe if you post a replay we could tell you what you could improve to be faster, but as it is we can't do anything.
Quote from Count Duckula :Hi All,

I've been racing single & multi AS-Nat, BF1 and my best time is 1:29:something but the top guys there clock 1:24:something. - I even asked one of them for his car setup which he gave me yet I was worse. For the life of me some corners I can't leave the breaking any later and the moment I give a pinch more gas comming out the corner I end up spinning - I'm on the raggard edge so how do they do it? BTW the top hot lap is 1:21:something - what am I missing??

You are most likely missing practice and a bit of natural skill. I say natural skill because, no matter how much most of us practice, we still probably will never be able to touch the WRs.
#4 - troy
you sure you took the right car, maybe you accidentally hopped in a super aguri

serious answer:

practice, you cant expect to be as fast as racers who do that combo for months or years and got like 1000 laps already
if your interested in details you could also download some world record hotlaps and compare them to your driving with a telemetry tool

links:
http://www.lfsworld.net/?win=hotlaps&whichTab=wrs
http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Telemetry

have fun and good luck getting faster

edit: a replay of your driving for people to look at is always good also
Quote from TaiFong :You are most likely missing practice and a bit of natural skill. I say natural skill because, no matter how much most of us practice, we still probably will never be able to touch the WRs.

Ain' dat da troof!
Just practice, practice, and practice some more. Heck, im still on average 1 - 2 seconds off the World Record, but i have imporved alot. Being fast isnt important. This is a Simulation. Yes, its maybe more ideal if you are fast, but as long as you enjoy it, then its goal achieved by the Devs.
Quote from spiderbait90 :Just practice, practice, and practice some more.

That's about it.
Also especially with BF1 you need to trust the car a lot. It can take many corners faster than you would think at first. Because of the huge reliance on downforce the car will grip more the faster you go.
Quote from TaiFong :You are most likely missing practice and a bit of natural skill. I say natural skill because, no matter how much most of us practice, we still probably will never be able to touch the WRs.

If you really practice, and do it the smart way®, any given guy here can "touch" pretty much any WR (maybe excluding the top 5 real popular combos), now beating it is a different story...
Let alone beating it by a "big" margin.
Quote from Count Duckula : I'm on the raggard edge

That's the wrong place to be if you want to be fast.

Think smooth, dont overdrive the car. dont worry about braking as late as possible to start with. It better to brake a bit early and smoothly and to get a good exit from the corners, accelerating smoothly. Every bit of time lost exiting a corner will cost you on the straights.

You are using a wheel i presume? The BF1 without nice analogue controls is going to be a 'mare to drive i would imagine.
#10 - Woz
Quote from Count Duckula :Hi All,

Go SLOWER through corners and ease power on out of the corner. Dont treat the controls as digital controls. Tyres have a limit, drive to it not over it.

Thats enough of the Zen stuff now
Quote from troy :you sure you took the right car, maybe you accidentally hopped in a super aguri

serious answer:

practice, you cant expect to be as fast as racers who do that combo for months or years and got like 1000 laps already
if your interested in details you could also download some world record hotlaps and compare them to your driving with a telemetry tool

links:
http://www.lfsworld.net/?win=hotlaps&whichTab=wrs
http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Telemetry

have fun and good luck getting faster

edit: a replay of your driving for people to look at is always good also

Thanks all for the replies - I've download some hot laps which the files have a .spr extension however the telemetry tools F1perview and AnalyzeForSpeed both require .raf files so how would I use the hotlap files ?
the WR is like 1:22 aswell lol

im gunna give this a bash now, ive never really raced with the BF1. so this will be a challenge for me.
tis good fun, if your not spun out (which always happens to me :P)
well i just tried it with the setup that is on inferno..

i managed a ... wait for it.... 1:29xx

and i thought i was going pretty fast..

but i top out at 200 down the main straight.
dunno ppl. as nat is simple track, so 1:25-1:26 should be easy (i did that in my first laps). I have 83 laps and 1:23.18 PB time whit R3 tires in race conditions, so yup AS Nat is not a real challenge not even for BF1
Quote from R3DMAN :well i just tried it with the setup that is on inferno..

The inferno set is crap. It might be WR fast, but it's hard to drive consistently and it eats tires.
#17 - troy
Quote from Count Duckula :Thanks all for the replies - I've download some hot laps which the files have a .spr extension however the telemetry tools F1perview and AnalyzeForSpeed both require .raf files so how would I use the hotlap files ?

first you need to place those .spr (single player replay) files into your lfs\data\spr folder

and then do what the wiki tells you:

Quote :To create a RAF file, record a single player replay and then watch the replay. At any time during the lap BEFORE the lap you wish to analyse, press ESC and click on "Output lap data" and type in a name for the RAF file. Output will start when the car crosses the finish line. The RAF will be stored in the "lfs\data\raf" folder.

What troy said Do the same with your lap too. I have never used f1 perview only analyse for speed (afs). Just open the WR .raf file and your .raf and compare where you are different.

Using AFS what I have found useful for improving my times is to look at the track and see the line that the WR holder takes compared to mine then adjusting mine to that line. After that it is a case of going as fast as you can sticking to your line. Again look in afs and see where you are slower and see if you can possible go 1mph faster through the corner.
i think your pc can limit you alot because even when i dirve the f1 at blackwood , if i go over 200 mph my fps go's from 40 to 20 so i cant break in time :S

other then that , drive around the track at 80 , find new braking points.
Quote from R3DMAN :well i just tried it with the setup that is on inferno..

i managed a ... wait for it.... 1:29xx

and i thought i was going pretty fast..

but i top out at 200 down the main straight.

I don't like open wheelers, and the BF1 is my absolute least favorite. Just out of curiosity, I tried with the inferno set as well. Took me 6 laps (1/4th of my total laps in the BF1 in LFS ) to get use to the brakes locking up super easy and the horrible understeer I was seeing with the inferno set and hit 1:29.44. Lap 7 I ran out of fuel and couldn't be bothered with refueling and I knocked 2 seconds off the split time on that lap (0.39 down to 0.37 split).

The funny thing is, I had far less corner speed in the BF1 than I do in the FZR. But I have 24 laps total in BF1 and over 2000 just at AS National in the FZR. Might have something to do with it .
Quote from geeman1 :That's about it.
Also especially with BF1 you need to trust the car a lot. It can take many corners faster than you would think at first. Because of the huge reliance on downforce the car will grip more the faster you go.

no shit! in the beggining i was afarid i would spin out and into other cars :P
now i'm taking alot more risks with it
you should really post one of your replays to get some proper help

all i can tell you with the info youve provided is that you must be doing something seriously wrong
Forget about practicing your driving.

Most (all?) of the fast guys cheat.

You should practice your hex-editing skills instead. That's the only way to be fast.
Quote from sam1600 :Forget about practicing your driving.

You should practice your hex-editing skills instead. That's the only way to be fast.

No.
I don't (at least anymore) cheat.
Quote from sam1600 :Forget about practicing your driving.

hahahaha, NO

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG