The online racing simulator
Random experiences from a morning of racing.
Spent pretty much all morning on the track.

Some good things:

Guys who brake too late, hit you off the track, realise what they've done, and pull over to give your position back. I didn't expect that, very welcome suprise

Guys running consistanly 10 seconds faster than you sharing setups. Another thing I don't see very often

Dropping 7 or so seconds off my lap times

The bad:

N00bs. The kind that try to pull in front of you before they're past and spin themselves into the dirt. After that they get all pissy and ram you on the next chance they get.

N00bs that just ram you for the hell of it.

When you're in the lead and lap the guy in last, he gets all pissy and rams you.

When you've led most of the race, you're halfway through the last lap, and all the little noobers get the race restarted because they're not gonna win. That one pissed my off the most, mainly because it's rare that I'm leading.

Anyway, I'm sure this is all really old to you guys but I though I'd share
i was just on cone dodgers, i dont think i will go back. nothing against the server but the people there are braindead
Just FYI: Those "bad" behaviours don't happen on S2 servers. Pretty much none of the anti-social behaviour you get on demo servers happens on S2 servers, so try not to let those people colour your perception of the sim.

Admins of licensed servers don't put up with that crap, and bans in S2 servers are made against your license name so once you ban an idiot he doesn't come back. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone take out another car deliberately.

Quote from drinklime :i was just on cone dodgers, i dont think i will go back. nothing against the server but the people there are braindead

But when you get a server with 20+ racers on it, things can get a bit rough. But that's down to people going for gaps that aren't there, or not being aware enough of what's happening around them. On any full server you can assume at least half the cars are being driven by people who aren't very experienced. Thankfully, most of them will improve over time.
Quote from drinklime :i was just on cone dodgers, i dont think i will go back. nothing against the server but the people there are braindead

Then get yourself licensed and race on the faster CD servers, although I must admit I'm struggling to keep up with them.....it's beyond me how some people can go so quick
i hope they were inexperienced... the things they were doing was just rude and stupid. i mean honestly how to ram someone on a straightaway? and intentional blocking on a 10 lap race when u are slower... UGH
Quote from drinklime :i hope they were inexperienced... the things they were doing was just rude and stupid. i mean honestly how to ram someone on a straightaway? and intentional blocking on a 10 lap race when u are slower... UGH

Let me just ask you this, of all the muppets that you saw in the short time you were on CD1, how many did you report to the Barricade?
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Let me just ask you this, of all the muppets that you saw in the short time you were on CD1, how many did you report to the Barricade?

Nine times out of ten the accidents are just that, careless accidents. I would not like to see someone banned unless he is a severe repeat offender. In such cases the admins usually take care of it. I honestly can't remember anyone (although I am quite new) deliberately wrecking on any S2 server that I've been on.

I must admit that people should be a touch more carefull and realise that just because the throttle goes to the floor it doesn't mean you have to keep it on the floor.

Also I see so many times people totally ignoring the yellow flag and continue on their merry way with throttle full on..."Oh yes! I'm gonna get me a PB this lap......aghh! f*ck, what the hell are you doing" as he crashes into some unfortunate racer that has accidently spun of the track 10 seconds in front of him. In GTR cars you can guarantee that at least one person on track will spin at some point on any given lap.

Is there a way of implementing the yellow flag system so that a time penalty is given if anyone overtakes under yellow flag? I'm sure this has been discussed many times before.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Just FYI: Those "bad" behaviours don't happen on S2 servers. Pretty much none of the anti-social behaviour you get on demo servers happens on S2 servers, so try not to let those people colour your perception of the sim.

Admins of licensed servers don't put up with that crap, and bans in S2 servers are made against your license name so once you ban an idiot he doesn't come back. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone take out

Yeah I got that impression. About the time I've got some money I fully intend to get myself licensed

...that money part is the problem, ah well, it'll happen someday...
How do you know (and prove) the driver is or isn't a repeat offender if you have no backlogs, though? AFAIK submitting to the Barricade does not mean automatic ban for a slight tap, it's more of a running thing.
Quote from drinklime :i hope they were inexperienced... the things they were doing was just rude and stupid. i mean honestly how to ram someone on a straightaway? and intentional blocking on a 10 lap race when u are slower... UGH

Blocking is part of racing. If you want to hotlap, do it offline. If they're that much slower you should be able to find a way past. If you can't, then you should be thanking them for giving you the opportunity to practice.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :How do you know (and prove) the driver is or isn't a repeat offender if you have no backlogs, though? AFAIK submitting to the Barricade does not mean automatic ban for a slight tap, it's more of a running thing.

This is really an important point. I myself usually used to think (after the first anger was gone) oh well, I don't want to denounce somebody when maybe he just had a bad race/night/day or whatever and thus did not report. However, by now I cam to the conclusion (thx to Becky and SamH etc.) that reporting is not denouncing. It must be seen as a simple possibility to hint the barricaders to certain situations where they then make a decision which in all good intents serves the sole purpose to make racing more fun for everybody.
I've been on CD the past 2 nites for a few runs. Overall it is very good fun. Last nite was way crowded. But once I was up to speed (proudly 4+ seconds off the pace) it was no problem. Eventually you are going around by yourself expect for a few corners here or there. and seeing people who just passed you slide out on their own is always entertaining.

I will not intentionally block hold or dive on anyone
I will always hold my side and give a lane for anyone if I think they are in position or going to be in position to move past me.
I will pull over for the entire field at Green (unless it's a Pit race in which case I'll do my best and race hard (after T1)for a 1st lap pit)

After a wee bit at CD last nite, it's pretty obvious after 5 or so laps where you stand in the pecking order. I don't have a problem with that. My only goal is to drive faster and better.

I also tend to brake a length or two early it seems, sorry.
Quote from thestig99 :When you've led most of the race, you're halfway through the last lap, and all the little noobers get the race restarted because they're not gonna win. That one pissed my off the most, mainly because it's rare that I'm leading.

I hear you... That thing really pi**es me off! And when that happens i kinda get sick of those 5 minutes races and realize how arcadic it is... Pickup racing can be fun, but people do crazy stuff when they know they only have 3 laps to show what they think can do..
Well I just came back again.

An amazing thing happened.

I had three races.

I won two of them, with a second place in the third.

In all three races my car crossed the finish line looking exactly like it did at the starting grid.

I can't wait for a license :drink:
Quote from thisnameistaken :Just FYI: Those "bad" behaviours don't happen on S2 servers. Pretty much none of the anti-social behaviour you get on demo servers happens on S2 servers, so try not to let those people colour your perception of the sim.

Admins of licensed servers don't put up with that crap, and bans in S2 servers are made against your license name so once you ban an idiot he doesn't come back. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone take out another car deliberately.

But when you get a server with 20+ racers on it, things can get a bit rough. But that's down to people going for gaps that aren't there, or not being aware enough of what's happening around them. On any full server you can assume at least half the cars are being driven by people who aren't very experienced. Thankfully, most of them will improve over time.

I still say that the demo servers aren't that twisted mindless irresponsible shit soup crash-bowl-fest that people crack it up to be.

But maybe because I am usually admin when I am on a server ..

And yes, it does happen on s2 here and there.

Finally, TBQH people in demo are more willing to socialize than on s2..
Quote from thisnameistaken :Blocking is part of racing. If you want to hotlap, do it offline. If they're that much slower you should be able to find a way past. If you can't, then you should be thanking them for giving you the opportunity to practice.

no you dont understand, I would get a run on him out of a corner and then as I was coming along side he would turn towards me so that if i kept going he would hit me. then i passed him on a chicane and was in front of him and he hit me again spinning us both out

i got going again and there was some other dude with less downforce than me, and as i get in line for the next turn, instead of going around me he just plows straight into the back of me taking me out

p.s. i have no idea what the barricade is
Quote from drinklime :p.s. i have no idea what the barricade is

Search and you shall find: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=8930

Essentially: if someone drives like a muppet, save the replay and submit it to the Barricade. The incident will be reviewed, and when sufficient cause for action has been deemed the offending driver(s) will be reprimanded. This could be simply a warning, or in extreme cases a ban. When someone is banned through the Barricade, (I believe) the ban is effective on all servers that form the Barricade.

Note however, that not all servers are part of it.
Quote from drinklime :no you dont understand, I would get a run on him out of a corner and then as I was coming along side he would turn towards me so that if i kept going he would hit me. then i passed him on a chicane and was in front of him and he hit me again spinning us both out

Well, that's not blocking, that's driving like a dickhead. If you'd said "driving like a dickhead" I wouldn't have argued with you.

when I save a replay, do i submit the WHOLE replay, or is there a way to trim the replay and just send one lap? the only way i know to do it is press 2 and then it saves the whole thing and its hard to find the right spot in the replay
You can't trim replays, you just have to submit the whole thing. If you can tell them what lap(s), where in the lap(s) and who was involved it will make their jobs easier though.
I'm afraid you have to submit the whole replay file, for now. What I do is make a mental note of the driver's name, sector and lap and put that in the comments box in the form. You could save the replay as e.g. 'inci pringles 4-1', which would mean 'incident with Pringles on lap 4, sector 1' so that you remember what's what.

edit: /shoo kev
Well, got some good commentary on a race I just finished

Of course, the first corner chaos. I started in second and rode the leaders ass up until the braking point where I pulled off to the side so as to not take him out. Get back behind him and into the corner, here comes a suckerpunch from somewhere in the back. This guy just FLIES in front of me and takes out the leader. Let me emphasize this part. He's been seeing a white car on his bumper all of the race so far, then a white car blasts him off the track.

Understandably, he thinks I did it.

Ban votes go around against me and they get 6/7. They tried banning me a couple other times, too, but failed.

Back on topic, I take an early (albeit cheap) lead. Now comes lap two of six. Down the straight I'm fine until n00b sends me flying. When I get back on the track I'm in seventh place. During the rest of the race I get spun a couple more times but they aren't major to the story.

Did I mention I came back to win by a huge margain?
I've being playing on deserted servers as i'm very new to LFS. The people who do join are very nice and sometimes they give me some good setups.

It's more fun than hotlapping because i usually just choose the practice mode to try and beat my pb's, dont have to record a replay to get my stats up in hotlapping either. (they suck btw).

and try out new setups etc.

I can't really race more than 1 other person right now because my computer is shit, lags really bad lol, but i'm getting a new one very soon that that will solve that problem.

+ a steering wheel, using kb atm.

P.S O.T but is there any good learner servers (blackwood) that have some forgiving drivers and laid back atmosphere?
Are you coming to Demo servers? If then welcomed you But it's the bad news... There's no learner racing server in demo servers. All the servers all full of noobs crashing each other. But there are good servers which have good people racing well, but not learner. Other than that, I have no server to recommend. Prodrive Racing server in demo is quite good. I just visited it so peek inside and race if u can. There are good guys teaching racing lines using my set...
Quote from Mr_Rotary :I've being playing on deserted servers as i'm very new to LFS. The people who do join are very nice and sometimes they give me some good setups.

It's more fun than hotlapping because i usually just choose the practice mode to try and beat my pb's, dont have to record a replay to get my stats up in hotlapping either. (they suck btw).

and try out new setups etc.

I can't really race more than 1 other person right now because my computer is shit, lags really bad lol, but i'm getting a new one very soon that that will solve that problem.

+ a steering wheel, using kb atm.

P.S O.T but is there any good learner servers (blackwood) that have some forgiving drivers and laid back atmosphere?

Yeah if you're looking for good demo servers you're probably SOL. As mentioned they're usually full of noobs who don't quite get the grasp pf clean racing

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG