The online racing simulator
Round 5 clarification thread
I wondering if the chicane stays original or if there will be stuff put at?
Just to know for the training of the line.
The race is at KY National. I assume the chicane you're talking about is the one coming onto/off of the oval at KY GP Long, in which case it won't be an issue for this race.
round 5 is at FE gold lol i think you mean the first chicane? i'm not going to add anything there, could you imagine it on race restarts if i did?
Quote from DeadWolfBones :The race is at KY National. I assume the chicane you're talking about is the one coming onto/off of the oval at KY GP Long, in which case it won't be an issue for this race.

priceless

FE3 FTW
/removes foot from mouth.

Haha

What is a "restart"? It's mentioned in another thread as well, and somehow I don't accosiate it with a shift+r and /w restart type restart.
restart being when the race goes green after an SC period
Ah yes, of cause.. I had my mind locked into only considering the first 2 laps
OK.

I don't know what the problem is with a restart? But anyway.
4.2) Drivers must not overtake any cars before passing the start/finish line. However, it is allowed for a driver to draw up alongside another. Overtaking before crossing the line will result in a drive-through penalty (hereafter DT) if caught by the marshals, or a one (1) lap penalty in the final standings if protested after the race.

I assume that´s correct, what´s being said here, that it´s not the pole car, who should pass the line first, but your own car.

I just think there should be done something about the sleeping drivers and drivers who slows down dramatically or has an accident before the start finish/line. Then you are stuck behing this car or could accidently pass the car.

In three of the races so far, we have been experiencing this and it gave us a great disadvantage from the start. F.ex. see in this race DBA Allan Didriksen totally sleeping in front of us (unity) and a very big gap was created to the first part of the field.

It should be allowed to pass in those cases as long as it´s very clear....or the old rule should be the valid again, that it´s the pole position car, who should pass before the others cars could pass each other.

If a team has two cars, they could also misuse this rule to give their primary car an advantage, if their secondary car helped slow down their rivals.
The pace/safety car does not continue that far. It either takes a detour, or enters the pits.. as it should.

Besides, the flag (green txt message) works better - if you had to wait for the leading car to cross a certain point, then the car behind could do a well timed false start and gain a position easily.

I understand the frustration with drivers who build up a gap, but I think it should be up to the marshals to judge - but only when the gap have an effect ones the race restarts. A gap in the 1st or 2nd sector doesn't really mean much, but a gap in the last sector is pretty dull.

I don't agree with passing when its clear.. because when exactly is it clear? Your view on the subject is possibly different than mine... it's too subjective this way.
Quote from Humbleridderen :....

+1. Something really should be done about the "sleepers". Once its green, the race should be 'on', if you're not ready you can Really hurt the cars behind you if they aren't allowed to pass.
But thats racing
In racing on a start/restart, if the top two cars are 10 seconds ahead at the start, the green flag would be waved off and they'd try again.

Also once the green is out, if someone is not getting up to race pace for mechanical or other reasons, people have the right to pass them before the start/finish.
Yeah, the rule should probably have a clause saying that if the car ahead does not properly accelerate (or crashes), you have the right to pass before the line.

The idea here was that "when the leader crosses the line" is very much open to interpretation for guys who are well back in the pack, whereas "when you cross the line" is very specific. Plus, it's easier for marshals to use the line as a reference point to spot jump starts than it is to keep an eye on the entire field at once.

edit: I should probably say here that I helped Benji to rewrite this iteration of the rules, and that if you guys have any suggestions/comments we're very open to ideas. It's very much a work in progress (and probably will be for the entire season).
When we were given the green flag going into the final turns at WE, we weren't even at the regular braking point. There was simply way way too much "green flag" time without being able to pass (2 turns & ~10+ seconds at race pace), at the mercy of the car in front of you.

I believe it would be helpful for:
a) Green Flag means race
b) Single File w/ limiters until Green Flag message
c) No Green Flag until leaders well onto front straight/ under start finish.

Even without the first two, it would be a Lot more fair for everyone if c) was the case.

IMO, these changes would take away much of the issues/controvesy of the starts/restarts.
I'd thought about that too, and I'm leaning toward agreeing.
Not that it's a contribution to this thread, but I'd like to mention it seems natural under full course yellow to be allowed to overtake the car(s) in front of you, should they 'leave the track' - meaning crash mildly or simply unfortunately gets on the grass, beeing out of the track.
This restart thing, has a strange twist in Nascar - one is allowed to overtake cars in front when first one crosses the line - but only on the right, but then again, we're talking ovals here, a different matter, so this is not a sugstion.
What COULD be considered ( just for entertainmaint or fun ?) is THE LUCKY DOG rule ???
Quote from Astro [ BJRL ] :Not that it's a contribution to this thread, but I'd like to mention it seems natural under full course yellow to be allowed to overtake the car(s) in front of you, should they 'leave the track' - meaning crash mildly or simply unfortunately gets on the grass, beeing out of the track.

This is a good idea and we'll take it under consideration. It would have to be their own fault, though. i.e., they're swerving to try and keep the tires warm (this doesn't work, btw ;]) and they spin it off. If they're taken out by someone else they should be able to re-join in position.
I like the "Lucky Dog" rule, American Le Mans has it. The more cars on the lead lap the better, I say.

As for restarts, whats the above mentioned series rules for restarts? Pass on green flag or start/finish line?
Quote : a) Green Flag means race
b) Single File w/ limiters until Green Flag message
c) No Green Flag until leaders well onto front straight/ under start finish.

Might be the easiest way to do it though.
Rules are ~in a state of flux, as of right now no pass till start finish. We're kind of discussing how things would/would not work better.

Edit -> For Race Start -> no passing till start/finish line
For Restarts -> Green Means Go Go Go
Quote from srdsprinter :In racing on a start/restart, if the top two cars are 10 seconds ahead at the start, the green flag would be waved off and they'd try again.

Also once the green is out, if someone is not getting up to race pace for mechanical or other reasons, people have the right to pass them before the start/finish.

Agree on that, but maybe say, there has to go f.ex 2 seconds before you are allowed to start passing a car which is not following the other cars. Because it has to be clear that it´s about a sleeping driver or someone with mechanical problem...maybe pitlimiter button, which is not working or a mild/hard crash with wall or spin or going into the grass.
If you cheat with this you can be given a penalty.
This intrinsic confusion just makes me believe that you should just be able to race when the green comes out. I've seen many passes before start finish just because once you get the green its not really possible for someone to just stay in line behind a slow car while the leaders take off.
Quote from r4ptor :
I don't agree with passing when its clear.. because when exactly is it clear? Your view on the subject is possibly different than mine... it's too subjective this way.

Yes, it´s subjective, as many other choices in racing are so ...but rules could help to make it difficult to cheat with those things. Remember we already have penalties for passing before it´s allowed.
i'll look over all of your suggestions on this rule with DWB. As it stands on restarts you are allowed to pass before the S/F line and also you are allowed to pass if there is a sleeping car on race starts and restarts

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG