The online racing simulator
Goodwood Festival of Speed
(21 posts, started )
#1 - ebola
Evening,

I am going to the Goodwood Festival of Speed this coming Sunday and I was wondering if anybody who has been from here has any little tips, ie parking, things to do and places to stand etc? I am stopping in Worthing on Saturday night so I will be arriving to the South East of Goodwood.

I do not have grandstand tickets but I am still very excited!!! I really want to hear the sound of a F1 car because numerous people have told me how loud it is in real life. Hopefully I can take lots of pics and post them on here.

Look forward to any useful advice.
GET ME SOME PICS AND VIDS TO DRUEL OVER!!!!
#3 - ebola
Some pics from the Sunday - Can I just add what a great day it was!!!

The Ferrari in the 790 pic is an Enzo but with a chassis made entirely of carbon fibre, is worth $2 million and is the only one of its kind. As you can imagine the driver went relatively slow.
Attached images
IMG_0783.jpg
IMG_0784.jpg
IMG_0788.jpg
IMG_0789.jpg
IMG_0790.jpg
IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_0819.jpg
IMG_0820.jpg
IMG_0822.jpg
IMG_0841.jpg
IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0847.jpg
#4 - ajp71
Looks like you got around the paddocks, my advice to anyone going to the FoS is to not bother watching too much of the hillclimb but more to take a good look round the paddocks. The cars on the hill are nice but generally (with the exception of a few timed runs) aren't driven very fast so for someone whose used to racing it may not be anything that spectacular, the paddocks however let you get close to an incredible array of machinery, like nothing else in one event, I just love how you can be looking at the latest F1 cars one minute and a vintage Bentley the next
How much are Goodwood tickets? It's one of the things I have to see thoroughly before I die.
#6 - ebola
For the final day (Sunday) the tickets were £40, dont know how that converts.
Thats roughly $100CAD I think. Is there like a weeklong ticket package?

For the ALMS event at Mosport (and all weekend events, different prices though) there is a weekend super ticket. For ALMS it costs $65 this year. Gives you full paddock access and you can go anywhere around the circuit except for the hospitality area in T1 on Sunday. You can also get single day tickets. I don't recall prices of Friday or Saturday tickets, but a Sunday ticket is $50. An additional $25 nets you a general camping pass, too. VERY cheap prices, I know, but does the Goodwood festival have a similar deal, or just day tickets?
I loved the lotus 111 picture! My question:
Does the "resue umbrella" come as standard, or is it an option?
*drool* nice pics

i have to get myself down there sometime
Quote from MAGGOT :Thats roughly $100CAD I think. Is there like a weeklong ticket package?

For the ALMS event at Mosport (and all weekend events, different prices though) there is a weekend super ticket. For ALMS it costs $65 this year. Gives you full paddock access and you can go anywhere around the circuit except for the hospitality area in T1 on Sunday. You can also get single day tickets. I don't recall prices of Friday or Saturday tickets, but a Sunday ticket is $50. An additional $25 nets you a general camping pass, too. VERY cheap prices, I know, but does the Goodwood festival have a similar deal, or just day tickets?

Yes there is a weeklong ticket package but I cant remember the cost. Also you can pay to go in the grandstand which if I recall is pretty expensive.

I have also got a video of a Porsche, I was greeted to this as soon as I entered...enjoy

http://www.zen33231.zen.co.uk/MVI_0785.avi
The weekend tickets aren't cheap, in the region of £110-150 iirc.

If you're into your classics and a bit of dress up I can heartily recommend the goodwood revivial also. Thats also something worth doing in a lifetime, if only once
I WILL be doing it at some point in the future; im thinking a birthday present for my father, too. He really wants to go as well.
I enjoyed the revival more than the fos cos I got dressed up when I went
Both great events, more expensive than alot of motorsport in the UK cos demand for tickets is so high. You wont find a hotel within 50 miles of Goodwood thats not fully booked for the revival weekend.
I saw FIA GT cars at Silverstone last year and the weekend ticket was something like 25 quid.
Motorsport spectating is cheap over here, apart from Goodwood and F1.
Quote from mantis9 :I enjoyed the revival more than the fos cos I got dressed up when I went

Yeah if you're going to do one I'd do the Revival meeting, it's like nothing else.
Just for clarification; the Revival is the on the racetrack and the Festival of Speed is the hillclimb, right?
Quote from MAGGOT :Just for clarification; the Revival is the on the racetrack and the Festival of Speed is the hillclimb, right?

Yes the Revival is a race meeting on the Goodwood race circuit, it's unique in that everything (including spectators) are dressed in the period the circuit was originally used (1948-66), lots of racing of pre-66 sports racing cars and single seaters if that's what does it for you, sounds and smells gorgeous, coupled with the atmosphere and period air displays.

The Festival of Speed is a hillclimb event up Lord March's drive, at a site separate to the race circuit. It features the best variety of cars you'll find anywhere, from 1900s to present day F1 cars. It's not really a competitive event, all cars used to be timed but due to some cars/drivers being embarrassingly quick (eg. a pre-war special being driven well beating factory backed big name 50s sportscars) the event format was changed so that cars could elect to do either demonstration or timed runs, all the big name stuff does demonstration runs. The FoS also has a rally stage, featuring a great spread of Group B, WRC and older machinery and what's nice about Goodwood is you can get really close to the cars that the drivers/mechanics want to talk about.
Ah, all the revival on-track action is pre 67? Nuts, that's just before my favorite era :P

In either case, I want to go to both the FoS and the Revival. Are they around the same time of year?
One of the coolest cars there was the Nissan GTR :-D
Well you just missed the FOS, and the revival is still a couple of months away.
FOS
Revival
I won't be attending the Revival this year for sure; WAY out of my price range for a few more years at least. I'll be I need to get out of college before I'll be able to even think about affording it.

Ah.. so many plans...
Looks like I'll have to add Goodwood to my "places to go with the slr" list.

That's SLR as in digital camera, not a slightly ugly Mercedes.

(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG