The online racing simulator
Parade Lap
(26 posts, started )
Parade Lap
why not include the option to have a warmup lap before each race. it would be lot more realistic and would also give the chance for people to warm the tires up etc.
Hm, it would certainly be more realistic/fun, but then the players have to go to their start position, and if someone fails...
perhaps they could also include a name tag above the stating postion for each driver to help people remember where they are to start lol?
#4 - joen
I support the idea, but I fear that especially in public races many people would be too impatient (all they ever do is 5 lap races) I can even see T1 carnage happening during warm-up laps.
In my opinion this would work well but would need to be a server-side option. Therefore servers that are set up to host sprint races could have it off, whereas servers hosting longer races (especially in leagues) could have it on.

Good idea to display the driver's name in their grid spot so they know where they need to stop.

The parade lap would work best with a rolling start, but with some clever programming it would work well with a standing start too.

+1 from me
Formation laps are a good idea, maybe they could start from the pit exit ...

But for leagues, not public servers. Rolling starts could get rather silly on public servers, but it would make the oval worth bothering with and it would be rather great for leagues
Absolutely +1!

It should starts from pits, and eventually there should be a faster variant with only half a lap to be done, like on nr2003 (for example starting from last split like old hotlap starting position)
#8 - ajp71
Quote from duke_toaster :Formation laps are a good idea, maybe they could start from the pit exit ...

Why start from the pit exit? Wouldn't it be easier (and more realistic) to start from the grid?
+1 for league usage

As other people have said before, not really worth it if you've joined a server for a 5 lap race. If it got used in all the public servers I'd quickly get annoyed with it. Would be definately be good for something like STCC where the races are presented for broadcast though.

It should probably start from the grid but an option for a warm up from the pits or grid wouldn't hurt. Though any public server that has a warm-up lap starting from the pits would probably end up being carnage and something to avoid...
Quote from ajp71 :Why start from the pit exit? Wouldn't it be easier (and more realistic) to start from the grid?

Right, but there could be 2 variant:

- Parade lap for standing starts - that should start from grid (like F1)

- Parade lap for rolling starts (if possible with an AI pace car) - that should start from pits (like Indy500)
these ideas sound really cool! im glad everyone seems to be on board with this idea.

i think having a formation lap before a race in LFS would just be so cool. it would just feel so much more real.
#12 - Osco
+1, but not for 5-lap races
Quote from SpaceMarineITA :
- Parade lap for rolling starts (if possible with an AI pace car) - that should start from pits (like Indy500)

In FIA events though the rolling start lap usually starts from the grid not the pitlane because the pitlanes are not wide enough to accommodate the cars lined up side by side and seeing as no pitlane in LFS is currently wide enough it seems like the best solution
A great idea, but on a public server, it would be as easy as herding a large group of cats.
+1

But not on public servers (although I'm sure lots would to begin with for the novelty value).

And no 'name tags above', just make the drivers remember their slots, and have LFS check if people are in the right place before starting. Anyone who doesn't go the right place can either be spectated, or another parade lap run.
Quote from ajp71 :In FIA events though the rolling start lap usually starts from the grid not the pitlane because the pitlanes are not wide enough to accommodate the cars lined up side by side and seeing as no pitlane in LFS is currently wide enough it seems like the best solution

In almost every American racing event they start from the pitlane.

(Though ironically not the Indy 500, which starts from the front straight since they start 3-wide.)
#17 - FL!P
Definitely +1 for adding these (formation lap and rolling start) as server options!

BTW, OWRL F1 used to do a formation lap on the first lap of the race, form the grid again, and start for good with an admin simulating the lights in the chatbox. That was great! But it's been dropped when X and its false start system was released.
+1

I was in ConeDodgers once, and someone volunteered to be the pace car for a rolling start. Everyone agreed and it worked perfectly, not to mention it was quite fun. I volunteered to do the same at Redline later in the week and everyone but those who know me were convinced i would jump the field and win the race....
i am for a +1 but i think it does not work. we have a warm up lap with flying start (which is even easier) in lfscar and it does not work 100% most of the time. someone is always crashing, and it is a league not public. we even switched to single file because double file made even more problems. and remember i am talking about the oval, so you don't have to turn or brake that much on that track.

having this kind of system requires an automated helper or penalty system in lfs like it is in other games. thats the only way it think i will work on public servers.
I think it'd be annoying. I want to get to the race, not spend 2-3 minutes doing a slow lap on a track I've been running race after race all evening anyway, plus running for countless laps begging for a restart after a race ends, etc.. So -1 from me in general, but for the leaguers that want it, why not? It might be fun now and then on a big race.

One thing that drives me nuts about other sims is that racing is actually rather rare on public servers. Far too many times in rFactor and GTR I've run practice, qualifying, warmup, and whatever else for an hour only to do a measely 8 minute race at the end of it. Sit at the PC for 4 hours and spend 20-30 minutes actually racing. Wash, rinse, repeat. I don't need to practice for another hour again on this track tonight in preparation for another 5 lapper. Ugh.

LFS for me shines largely because the racing is much more immediate and common. Adding a parade lap to me just pushes things away from that, albeit by only one lap, so I wouldn't cry too much about it, I suppose

Might as well have the option to do it though if most people want it.
I think a parade lap would be good and rolling start too... nut :

Parade Lap : if the guy passes the car in front, Spectate.
If the guy enters the wrong "square" where you put your car to start the race, spectate ( just like restricted areas, but only if the guy stops on other car's position ).

And I Think rolling starts could happen the same... but 1 line only... and if you pass the guy in front, spectate too... stays like this till everybody passes through the starting line...
Rolling starts sound fun, but I can't imagine an entire parade lap being enjoyable for anything outside of a league race context.
+1

If it is implemented smartly, it would be fun.
I see talk of parade lap, then lining back up at the grid. Why? Unless it is a rolling start, there is no reason for a parade lap. You can't warm up your tires running around at 50 mph or whatever. Tires are already pre-warmed. Parade laps are for warming up the engine, which we do not have in LFS, and usually setting the pitroad speed by the tach because normally you won't have a speedometer. Cars swerve back and forth not to warm up the tires, but to clean the junk off before the start that is collected running around off the racing line (junk from previous races, practice, qualifying, etc.)
+1

But with server option.
And a name marker on the grid position.

The one who fails to stop right, has to start from the back. like stalled engine in F1.

Of course start of the information lap behind a AI pace car.

Maybe we will see full course yellow behind pace car in the future after big crashes with debris or oil on the track(dreaming )

Parade Lap
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG