The online racing simulator
#26 - jmkz
no.. seriously.. you don't translate people's names!

It's bad enough that people translate Country and City names
DAAAMN, just deleted everything
-
((SaM)) DELETED by (SaM)
Bob, I need some more space with the interface. Especially in Dynamics and the Options.
I had to abbreviate some words or choose an alternative word not as good as their longer synonym. And just about any language ísn't as compact as English so I think every translator could use some more space with his language.

Oh, and "This option lets you enter gear ratios and see the speeds optainable in each gear" and "This options lets you enter the speeds you wish to obtain in each gear, and GRC will calculate the necessary gear ratios" are not listed in the language file, so they cant be translated.
Quote from (SaM) :Bob, I need some more space with the interface. Especially in Dynamics and the Options.
I had to abbreviate some words or choose an alternative word not as good as their longer synonym. And just about any language ísn't as compact as English so I think every translator could use some more space with his language.

Well I said just try to be compact, I know space is very limited even for English. If something is best explained with a longer word, then use a longer word. I knew I would have to make the layout a bit bigger anyway. But I won't change it until I know how much bigger I need to make it. Leave the layout to me, just assume I'll be able to make room.

Quote from (SaM) :
Oh, and "This option lets you enter gear ratios and see the speeds optainable in each gear" and "This options lets you enter the speeds you wish to obtain in each gear, and GRC will calculate the necessary gear ratios" are not listed in the language file, so they cant be translated.

Oooh, well spotted, I thought I had covered everything but those pesky tooltips sneaked through. I'm half tempted to just remove them, it's fairly obvious what they do when you click on them anway.

In fact since I added the sliders for ratio entry ages ago, the whole second option has been kinda redudant, but I refuse to get rid of it on principal since it was damn tricky to code up.
OK, here's the Dutch translation. You owe me a beer mate.
All words are full length, yet compact as possible. There are a few that are cut off, so they need a larger interface, have fun with them.

Oh, 1 more thing, the rear wing's 'Lift' word uses Lift/Drag Ratio, whilst it should be using Lift wich is one line above it.
Attached files
language_Nederlands.txt - 8.5 KB - 184 views
Yeah there were a couple of bugs I spotted which I've already cured at my end.

Thanks for the speedy translation.

Should I ever be in the neighbourhood I will gladly provide a beer, but I don't leave my room often, less so the house and it's certainly not often I find myself wandering around abroad. But you never know.
No problem. I accept paypal and Mastercard.

I enjoyed translating it because I like challenges. You can't just go and translate every word into the other language without thinking.
So, here is my first version of the german translation. It's not 100% complete, and I'd appreciate if someone could take a look and correct a few things...
I hope I did the most of the translation right
Attached files
language_German.txt - 8.9 KB - 182 views
Minor changes and additions
Took a lock and did some (just a few) corrections/additions. There are still some minor issues , for example the mouse over text for selecting cars seems not to be in the language file. And I didn't have a clue how to translate weight multiple. I figured that a WM of 2 means that the same weight of the car is added by downforce, maybe " Gewichtsmultiplikator"???

Changed the filename to language_Deutsch, so you will have to edit the .lst-file. And thanks to Bob for that useful tool. I think we all owe him a beer for that, but that is probably more than he can handle. Where is your house, btw, in case I ever happen to be around?
Attached files
language_Deutsch.txt - 9 KB - 144 views
Thanks, I was unsure about a few lines.
I changed the "weight multiple" to "Gewichtskraftmultiplikator". The file is complete now, so it is ready to use.

@Bob:
At the aero tab, there are some untranslatable "Drag" labels (at the undertray and the wing boxes), and at the rear wing box, there is a messed-up label (lift)
Attached files
language_Deutsch.txt - 9 KB - 171 views
Right thanks guys. I fixed the drag labels my end and removed the three tooltips that weren't translatable. Oh and you could have used a word for reverse rather than just "R".

I don't think "weight multiple" is even a great description in English. Basically it shows the force on the wheels relative to the weight of the car. So 1.0 means there is only the weight of the car. 2.0 means the force is twice the weight of the car, so from that you know that 50% must now be due to downforce.

(SaM) - looking through you don't seem to have translated "Lift" or "Ratio". Are these the same in Dutch as in English or was it an oversight on your behalf? Or yeah and the tyre names are still in English, but I can see them in LFS myself so can edit those on my own.
Quote from Bob Smith :
(SaM) - looking through you don't seem to have translated "Lift" or "Ratio". Are these the same in Dutch as in English or was it an oversight on your behalf? Or yeah and the tyre names are still in English, but I can see them in LFS myself so can edit those on my own.

Those 2 words, Lift and Ratio are well understood in Dutch. Ratio can be translated to Dutch but it's a common word being used.
And the tyre names: I thought they were the same in the Dutch translated version but they're slightly different so I'll change it. I updated my attachment in the previous post.
Planned to do it last night, but plans are made to change
I'm still a little hung over, so I'll do it after I sleep a few hours.
It's the first thing I do when I wake up, promised.
Almost done, but there's one word I know I won't find: "track".
I think I see what it is (it's not part of the setup anymore in S2), but I'll be damned if I find it in french litterature because I don't know how it works exactly.
Go to the garage and turn the suspension view on. What's that word in the center 2nd line down from the top?
I only speak french, my game's in english.
Guess I'll just cheat
My point was, just put the game into French, the buttons don't move around so you can still work the menus.

Thanks for the efforts everyone who's helping.

How are the Finnish/Russian/Estonian translations coming along? The sooner I get them back the sooner I can release the update for people to use. I don't want to rush you though.
Finnish version is ready!
I would like someone finnish to test it and look for errors. I also used 'forced' translations in someplaces, so if you can think of better ones let me know
EDIT: I found a little typing error
Attached files
language_Suomi.txt - 7.8 KB - 205 views
OK thanks is looking good. But what is it with people translating names? I don't care what country I'm in I'm still going to introduce myself with my name.
I apologise if this comes across as a little pissy, and a bit of a rant, but I'm having a bad-ish day and I'm fed up of the current obsession for unicode. Its starting to get on my tits - like the obsessive demands designers keep telling me that we should dump SQL, and competely XML-atise everything without good reason (other than its "cool").

Quote from detail :Hey, c'mon, don't lag behind the internet, use Unicode

Do I really have to point out that most things we take for granted on the internet dont support unicode (properly) - i.e. domain names, etc.

Yes most browsers support pages encoded in Unicode, but its not good enough tbh. To put it simply, the content is there, but the core infrastructure of the internet is not.

Granted its far, far, better than ASCII, but your statement was wrong.

edit:
Sorry to hi-jack the thread a tad Bob Good work with the GRC :up:
First you won't let me buy you a drink, then you do this.... what is the world coming to?
Quote from Bob Smith :But what is it with people translating names? I don't care what country I'm in I'm still going to introduce myself with my name.

it is not translating, i don't know if its the right name, but could be that it's inflection.
in the czech language we have 7 forms>
(you ask and the reply is: )
1. Who, what - Bob Smith
2. without who, what - Boba Smithe
3. give it to whom - Bobovi Smithovi
4. you see who, what - Boba Smithe
5. you call - Bobe Smithe
6. about who - Bobovi Smithovi
7. with whom - Bobem Smithem

So not making these "changes" makes it sound wierd in our language...

Should I translate then "Smith" means "Kovář"
Ok, next time you can buy me a pint

Currently working on a West Country version for you Bob
Quote from Chaos :it is not translating, i don't know if its the right name, but could be that it's inflection.
in the czech language we have 7 forms>
(you ask and the reply is: )
1. Who, what - Bob Smith
2. without who, what - Boba Smithe
3. give it to whom - Bobovi Smithovi
4. you see who, what - Boba Smithe
5. you call - Bobe Smithe
6. about who - Bobovi Smithovi
7. with whom - Bobem Smithem
So not making these "changes" makes it sound wierd in our language...

It's the same in finnish language

1. Who, what - Bob Smith
2. for who - Bob Smithille
3. with who - Bob Smithin
etc
In Finland we have 15 different forms.
Quote from geeman1 :In Finland we have 15 different forms.

15 reasons to not learn Finnish then.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG