The online racing simulator
So who fancies doing some translations?
With Scawen going to extra lengths to support some of the "more unusual" languages out there (well, they're unusual to me ) I thought it was about time I made Gear Ratio Calculator translatable.

I've done all the coding, but alas only speak English, so I need people who can write in other languages to do the actual translating of text. So how can you help? Attached is the English language file, simply translate every line in the text file to another language of your choice. I will point out there is 335 lines in the text file, but most are quite short. I suspect it would take a couple of hours to do, if not a bit longer.

I'm sorry but Unicode is a no no, so you are limited on characters.

Also Madman has translated 80% of it to Czech but is too busy with Uni work to finish it off, so if anyone wants to finish it off that would be great.

Finally, I have attached a test version of the program so you can see what text is going where so that you can understand the contexts.

Note: to add your language into GRC, simply append the name of the language into the language.lst file, and it will become selectable from within LFS. The name must match exactly with the filename (but within the format of "language_xxxxx.txt")

OK thanks very much in advance for anyone willing to help out. I would advise posting to say you are going to start on a particular language so no duplicate work is undertaken.

Cheers

Edit: Updated language files, I had missed out a line (whoops)

Languages undertaken already:
Czech
Dutch
Estonian
Finnish
French
German
Russian

(I know this should technically be in the unofficial add-ons forum but I need people to see this... specifically those not native to the UK, which rules out most people on this forum)
Attached files
language_English.txt - 7.9 KB - 293 views
language_Cestina.txt - 9.1 KB - 195 views
LFSGRCv2-langtest.zip - 185.2 KB - 112 views
Hey, c'mon, don't lag behind the internet, use Unicode

I take the Russian translation.

[edit 1] What is "region bug", "Acceleration Data Table", "Tractive Effort"? If you know other ambiguous or turbid places, explain them beforehand, please.

[edit 2] What are the dimensions used in the program?

[edit 4] Probably it could be better to name files just "English.txt", "Russian.txt" to use LFSTranslator.exe tool to check strings.
Quote from Bob Smith :Also Madman has translated 80% of it to Czech

TIS Madman_CZ .. spell it right dammit!!!!!!!!

heh i had the same problem translating silly terms like that... but i did find some on the net not sure if they are correct though... so if another czech person would check the translation it would be ace!! my czech isnt good as i live in the uk and have only 3 years worth of czech school.... and i was born there lol

mad
I am making a finnish translation.
Quote from detail :Hey, c'mon, don't lag behind the internet, use Unicode

Sorry I'm still fairly new to VB so I'm taking things one step at a time. I can't even get all the ASCII characters to display properly (yet). Should really have learnt a proper language but I'm not going to remake it in another language now.

Quote from detail :
I take the Russian translation.

Super.

Quote from detail :
[edit 1] What is "region bug", "Acceleration Data Table", "Tractive Effort"? If you know other ambiguous or turbid places, explain them beforehand, please.

[edit 2] What are the dimensions used in the program?

[edit 4] Probably it could be better to name files just "English.txt", "Russian.txt" to use LFSTranslator.exe tool to check strings.

Lol, MadmanCZ asked about the region bug too. It was a bug to do with the users region settings.

Acceleration Data Table... is a table that gets filled with acceleration data? Just pick it from the graph lists on the gearing tab and you will see.

Tractive Effort is an awkward one, it is to do with all the forces acting on the car that affect grip and therefore the amount of acceleration possible.

What do you mean by dimensions?

What happened to edit 3?

You are free to rename the files however you wish, not a difficult task. I'm just trying to keep the file layout neat on my PC.
#6 - (SaM)
Was gonna look into the english.txt to see if I could translate it into Dutch but the link seems dead. Care reuploading it Bob?
1) By dimensions I mean metric/imperial.
2) It was united with edit 1

Other: Ok. I guessed the "Tractive Effort", but thought it could probably relate to lateral acceleration. Hmmmm, it's not colcob's program, yes, I need to say an idea to understand it, lol.
Sorry I was editing the post and altered the files. I had missed out the save as dialog box. If you hadn't started just grab the new file, if you have you just need to add the line "Save settings file as..." after Save As (it's the 11th line down). Sorry for messing people around I think I'd done everything.

Cheers for the quick responses, I didn't expect so many already.

Edit: Ah Detail posted while I was typing. Internally GRC uses metric measures, but you can configure it to display figures in any units you desire. With the exception of the custom presets form, you enter values in the format you selected to display them in (though everything can be done with a slider anyway). The custom presets form has fixed units, which I believe are all metric with the exception of wheel diameters. I made a little unit converter anyway if people only have figures in other units.
#9 - (SaM)
Ok, i'm gonna translate it for the Dutch community. It seems alot of Dutchies set LFS to Dutch so a matching gear ratio calculator wouldnt be a bad idea.
I'll do the czech version tommorow at work should there be noone faster that is
I could do French, what's the deadline?
Quote from Chaos :I'll do the czech version tommorow at work should there be noone faster that is

yo chaos...... glad to see a czechky around, bob will be happy that you can finish it off. Some stuff was difficult to translate but i did manage ok i think. Silly stuff like tractive effort and region bug and some other stuff was stricky but i did write something down... tis a question now whether is right or wrong..!

and some of bobs info is displayed in inches, pounds etc and you cannot really translate them as we czechs use metric system so if you translate those people will have no frikkin clue to what they are... inches = palce haha

silly english ppl :twirl: :P

hope there arent too many mistakes

mad
Quote from Breizh :I could do French, what's the deadline?

No deadline, take your time.

OK I've attached the (nearly finished) translatable program to the first post so you can see your text appearing as you work. Hope that helps.

Issues left to resolve:
Some chacters (ěčřšůž) will only display correctly in the menus, but not on the forms. They get turned into horrible bars.

Some text labels overflow, so I'll need to fiddle with the layout a bit. If you translators could try and be succinct, that would be great, but I appeciate English is quite a compact language compared to others.

Oh and thanks to all for your support. Nobody fancies doing German? Considering the number of you lurking around these forums.
-
(Madman_CZ) DELETED by Madman_CZ
Ok, I'll have it done by this weekend.
do you need mandarin?
i know there's not a lot of us on live for speed, but i could do the canadian translation.

actually. you could probably do it youself.

search "."
replace " eh!"

speedfreak227
Quote from StanleyCarter :do you need mandarin?

Is that even possible without unicode? TBH I'm still not sure how Detail is going to manage Russian.
Going to translate it to Estonian at the evening.

EDIT: Yarr, going to start the translating at the evening
Quote from Bob Smith :Is that even possible without unicode? TBH I'm still not sure how Detail is going to manage Russian.

No problem, we use by default win-1251 cp, so if a text is in 1-byte encoding, we see cyrillic letters whatever the author intended. So until you set everywhere "western" font explicitly, it works okay for us.
I'll do the german translation
Translated almost everything (except imperial units) and made what was translated sound more czech
Attached files
language_Cestina.txt - 8.9 KB - 187 views
#22 - jmkz
no Belgian

Quote from Chaos :Translated almost everything (except imperial units) and made what was translated sound more czech

OK thanks. There was no need to translate my name though. Boba Smithe, lol.

All in all looking good, I don't know Czech so I can't really comment for it's accuracy but it's quite different to MadmanCZ's version so I can see you've been at work.

I think I'm gonna have to make the whole application window a little bigger so I can spread things out a bit, otherwise it's going to get too cramped. I'm going to wait until the other languages are ready though so I don't have to repeat myself.

Cheers.
Quote from Bob Smith :OK thanks. There was no need to translate my name though. Boba Smithe, lol.

All in all looking good, I don't know Czech so I can't really comment for it's accuracy but it's quite different to MadmanCZ's version so I can see you've been at work.

I think I'm gonna have to make the whole application window a little bigger so I can spread things out a bit, otherwise it's going to get too cramped. I'm going to wait until the other languages are ready though so I don't have to repeat myself.

Cheers.

hehe, i understand that your name sounds funny this way , but in our language we change all the names... and females get a +ova to the end of their surname, so be glad you're a man
Hehe. Bob, what's your father's name? A guy from England lived in my city and at the Uni he was written as "Alexander Richardovich Nice" Imagine: "Author: Bob Bobovich Smithov"

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG