The online racing simulator
Where the hell is everyone?
(57 posts, started )
Why are ALLLLLLLLL the servers worldwide 'empty'?

This isn't what we paid for..... nonexistant online racing!
Well download the new patches and you will find most people are racing on the test patch servers. Its all about the x factor
Quote from CodieMorgan :Why are ALLLLLLLLL the servers worldwide 'empty'?

I have the same problem. It's just that most people don't play at these hours, as most people live in a different time zone.
MAybe we need some US promotion ?
#5 - Slopi
Sadly, the bulk of the racers are from Europe. This means that server activity is based on their time zones, not the US's. Also, it doesn't help that LFS isn't on store shelves in the US (Yes, I know it's not complete), cause it seems that the average US gamer wont know about a game unless it's advertised to death on TV and online before it's released.

So, what you're left with is a bunch of euro racers and a handfull of Americans. Just have to plan accordingly is all
Quote from Slopi :Sadly, the bulk of the racers are from Europe. This means that server activity is based on their time zones, not the US's. Also, it doesn't help that LFS isn't on store shelves in the US (Yes, I know it's not complete), cause it seems that the average US gamer wont know about a game unless it's advertised to death on TV and online before it's released.

So, what you're left with is a bunch of euro racers and a handfull of Americans. Just have to plan accordingly is all

Before the W30+ patches there were always at least 15 servers running with at least 100 drivers!

But now there is nothing! I am running w43!
Test patches have been coming quite thick and fast lately and lots of people don't bother testing every single one of them, especially at this late stage. Wait till Patch X is released - everyone will have that in a matter of minutes (bandwidth permitting ).
Agreed....the whole LFS community is split between testing the latest test patch, the last test patch compatible with W17, or all the way back on Official Patch W. When X comes out, everyone will have to upgrade to X and then everyone will be on the same version again.

There are quite a few US servers out there, just give it a couple of days, and it will all sort itself out.
Yup, big divide in the LFS community ATM, best solution is to have two installs, the current "main" patch, in this case W, and a test install for test patches, then you have the best of both worlds.

Hopefully when patch X is released things will get back to normal.
I'm in US and find people with no problems at all.
I race between midnight and 2am EST.
Agreed that we have the patch VS official dilemma with a new patch every day.
Like Banshee said, once X is out, you'll find all the available races on one version hence fuller servers around the clock.
Could toss in the MRT. I don't see many people race that now days (as compared to much earlier days of LFS). It's not exactly 'fast', but would be a great toy to anyone who grabs the demo
I took a look at LFSWorld recently and saw the following:

300 S2 Racers Online and >600 S2 Hosts .

600 Demo Racers online, but approx. 300 Demo Hosts.

That's basically it, I guess. Running an own Server is pretty easy and affordable nowadays. We have to make the Demo Racers BUY the S2 License, maybe then S2 servers will be not so empty anymore.
Quote from Mike85 :How about getting more people to buy S2? But I dont know how to do that? Suggestions?

I think the demo should have atleast one fast car. All three demo cars are slow. And that doesnt help bringin in new people. Its too boring to the noobs

I have to disagree on that completely. If "you" already like those cars and the rest of the demo as it "sort of" represents the "full game" then "you" will get a licence sooner or later. Besides the fact that "you" are able to get rid of all the wrecking buggers and simular creatures (once & for all and not for another 5 minutes or less) "you" also deserve the entire content (cars/tracks et cetera) "you" have payed for. If not, go away and play NFS-TDU-OMG-WTH acade stuff and enjoy yourself alright

cheers

Quote from CodieMorgan :Why are ALLLLLLLLL the servers worldwide 'empty'?

Well i would like to see exactly in which section of the agreement the point is which ensures that the servers are always filled.
#14 - joen
IMO LFS isn´t about getting as many people in as possible, it´s about getting in people who really love racesims. Quality instead of quantity if you will. There´s no need for tons of people who usually only play games like NFSU and come flooding the forum with NFSU like feature requests. We have too many of them already.
There´s no need for fast cars in the demo. If demoracers get bored of slow cars they should get a license, the whole purpose of the demo being there in the first place. If people don´t get excited by LFS with the democars, then those people aren´t meant to play LFS.
LFS is a niche product and it will stay that way.
Longterm demo users either can't (afford) to buy a license, or don't want too, you can't MAKE people get licenses
Lol im using the W43 patch and nowadays there're only about 50-70 servers and most (if not all) of them are empty. The few servers that aren't usually have only 1 or 2 persons in them. Issit partly bcos im usually playing LFS on GMT 0400-1000 ?
#17 - Jakg
at about 5-7 PM in the UK when i checked yesterday there was a full server and a 23-man server, both in W43
Not to mention that the north american lfs players are now busy toiling in FORZA 2, with ingame voice communications, real tracks, and real cars, everything we long for in lfs, now if we could only find a way to merge them we'd have the perfect sim ...

so yeah, its deader then usual.
#19 - joen
Quote from Mike85 :It only brings in more money so that Scawen can spend it on development.

Tell me, how would more money contribute to development? Will Scawen work even harder when there is more money?
Quote from Mike85 :I get a feeling that some people would leave LFS if it became "mainstream". LFS needs new noobs so that the community grows. It only brings in more money so that Scawen can spend it on development.

Noobs will not brake LFS, they are harmless Embrace them.

I think the shit-tonne of "blue flag" and "wrecker" threads littering the forum (not to mention the entire Improvements section) beg to differ.

Quote from Mike85 :Forza 2 is already an example of a succesfull product because its high budget and marketed etc...

And Americans only buy such stuff

You still haven't explained how more money = better LFS...
Quote from Mike85 :Forza 2 is already an example of a succesfull product because its high budget and marketed etc...

news flash.. im not american.

Also, from what i've seen at the forza forums, eurpeans are yearning as much as anyother people for forza.

Anyhow, lfs could use with some advertising.
For me it's a combination of time zone and incompatible patch issues. I usually have time to race anywhere between 7 and 11pm pacific time, but I think that's like prime sleeping time for the bulk of the LFS population.

The effect is even more pronounced with the recent slew of test patches. I've always followed them pretty closely, but the most part it didn't really affect anything since they were compatible with the official version. Now though I've been running both versions back and forth - I'll stick with whichever one I can find a server with more than 2 or 3 racers.

I'm definitely looking forward to patch X - Not so much for all the new features, because I've been enjoying them all along, but for the fact that everyone else will have to upgrade!

EDIT: And does every thread on the forum need to have some kind of off-hand stereotyped American bashing? It really gets old. Maybe just 2 out of 3 threads or something?
#23 - Jakg

Yes, Scawen works but has a family. Stupid family. Lets get some money and kidnap them till S3 is out.

Great plan!

Forza has more than one coder for a flaming start, they're using a method of development that will just hinder LFS development. If we have to wait for X, fine - i'll keep driving my LX6@WE1R thinking what an f'ing amazing game LFS is right now and stop complaing
Quote from Jakg :

If we have to wait for X, fine - i'll keep driving my LX6@WE1R thinking what an f'ing amazing game LFS is right now and stop complaing

here here!!!!!!
#25 - joen

Of which a lot of money goes to marketing, paychecks, licenses, nice offices, managers, company cars, etc.
LFS is in no way comparable to that, it´s an indie developed game. Stop trying to want to push LFS in the same direction as it simply will not happen.

(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG