The online racing simulator
Where the hell is everyone?
(57 posts, started )
#51 - joen
Quote from Wakkaman :What i don't understand, why aren't they thinking of expanding the team of developers?

Scawen has explained this so many times. Because they simply don´t want to. To the devs LFS is not only a source of income, but also a labour of love. Therefore they want to do this their way, and their way only. They aren´t in a hurry, are you?

This is something that has been explained so many times that I wonder if people that are still asking this question really don´t know the answer, or are they just not capable of accepting it.

Besides, getting more people on a project doesn´t mean the project will be of better quality or developed faster.

For a more detailed and better motivated explanation search through Scawen´s posts. It SHOULD be clear as water.

Quote from SKaREO :GTR2 seems to be where lots of people have gone. In terms of realism that game is top notch.

lol
Quote from Wakkaman :companies that are willing to infest in live for speed 2.

Exactly.

Letting in third party devs would just be an infestation for the LFS devs to deal with
It's scavier's project so they can do it however they like, but I do think adding ONE more developer on the programming side would increase overall productivity significantly. Of course it would have to be someone as dedicated to the vision of LFS as they are and someone as skilled as Scawen, so it would be a fair amount of work just finding such a person. There are many parts of the engine that could be developed parallel to one another, such as while Scawen improves multiplayer/AI code the second person could be working on a graphical update.
But as stated before, why would they want to do this? They have already stated they aren't in any kind of rush to get LFS done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month
if you don't see anyone racing, check this on LFSWorld, to see who's where online, in which patch...
Quote from BrandonAGr :There are many parts of the engine that could be developed parallel to one another, such as while Scawen improves multiplayer/AI code the second person could be working on a graphical update.

Isn't this what is already being done with LFS? Scawen works on the multiplayer/AI code and Eric works on the graphical updates....

Yes, I sometimes think that having 1 more person to code along with Scawen would be good. That's 1 more person, not a team of developers working under Scawen's direction. Someone who would script similarly to Scawen and work together. That way, they could talk about their ideas amongst themselves and perhaps one would have a better idea than the other. Currently, I work in the development department at my work with 1 other person. When my "partner" was off work because of an auto accident, I was by myself. The boss would come to me and ask about something we were doing or wanted to do in developement. It was better for me and my coworker to talk about it and come up with a plan than either of us doing it by ourselves. Because with one issue I would bring up a better idea that he hadn't thought of and he would bring something up for another issue that I hadn't thought of.

But with a partnership with Scawen working with someone else, they would need to work similarly, code similarly, and have similar ideas to work together effectively.
Quote from sinkoman :Exactly.

Letting in third party devs would just be an infestation for the LFS devs to deal with

Head on... Just what i thought when i read this "typo".
Quote from BrandonAGr :It's scavier's project so they can do it however they like, but I do think adding ONE more developer on the programming side would increase overall productivity significantly. Of course it would have to be someone as dedicated to the vision of LFS as they are and someone as skilled as Scawen, so it would be a fair amount of work just finding such a person. There are many parts of the engine that could be developed parallel to one another, such as while Scawen improves multiplayer/AI code the second person could be working on a graphical update.
But as stated before, why would they want to do this? They have already stated they aren't in any kind of rush to get LFS done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

They are working parallel. Scawen code, Victor site and stats, Eric Graphs.

So why more people. Only means more discussion and not necessarily faster or better developments.

Where the hell is everyone?
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG