The online racing simulator
AI in patch 35 - Question
(18 posts, started )
Hi not wanting to post in the test patch forums, I'll ask here

I race offline with AI, just cause I haven't time to spend with LFS online anymore, I dl'd Test Patch 35 works fine etc But noticed in the 'changes log'

FIX : AI drivers left pit speed limiter on after leaving pit lane
FIX : AI drivers ignored the pit lane speed limit

In SP at least, the AI can't pit, etc etc so can they pit now in MP mode or am I just confused as usual?

Cheers ShannonN
I've Been wondering that as well...
Maybe scawen is just fixing things as he sees them for the rumored patch Y AI update?
I've not tested this, but I guess AI do start quali from pits too and now the practice session too (I think) . I guess this is where that bugs where coming in question.

Edit: I've now tested it and well. I was wrong
#5 - Lible
You can use /pits for AI now too.
I was thinking about that fixes too, but no one said nothing about it. So I didn't want to become a noob

How does it work? I really don't play with any /commands in lfs.

If I type /pit AI1 it will be teleported to pits and drive out, on the track?
Well I got it as a bug report and thought I might as well fix it, as I've been fixing a single player thing here and there on my way. Next thing on the list after patch X is to sort out the AI drivers. Although that's not what everyone cares about, there are a lot of people who do use single player.

You can make the AI drive in qualifying or practice if you know how...

If you enter a practice or qualifying session on your own then use the /ai command to add AI drivers, then restart race, the AI will drive out of the pits. It's not recommended because they really don't know where they are going and they will crash into everything. But in most pit lanes they will make it out eventually. Anyway at least they won't break the speed limit now or drive around with the pit speed limiter on if you do that.

Also the /pitlane and /pit_all commands can send the AI to the pits in the middle of a race.

Anyone who wants to know any /commands, they are all listed in the commands.txt file in the docs folder. TIP : you don't need to press T first, you can just press / and type the command.
Quote from Scawen :You can make the AI drive in qualifying or practice if you know how...

If you enter a practice or qualifying session on your own then use the /ai command to add AI drivers, then restart race, the AI will drive out of the pits. It's not recommended because they really don't know where they are going and they will crash into everything. But in most pit lanes they will make it out eventually. Anyway at least they won't break the speed limit now or drive around with the pit speed limiter on if you do that.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4559749992614022891
I seriously cant wait for the AI updates. Theres nothing like adding a full grid of AI driving different cars ( takes a bit of time clicking the right setup for each car though! ) and pretending your at a track day for the drunk
Quote from Scawen :Well I got it as a bug report and thought I might as well fix it, as I've been fixing a single player thing here and there on my way. Next thing on the list after patch X is to sort out the AI drivers. Although that's not what everyone cares about, there are a lot of people who do use single player.

[ snip ]

Despite my rants and raves from time to time, I'm _really_ glad to hear the AI are going to be addressed sooner than later. I had some really good AI races back in S1 days when they functioned very well after running some laps of their own.. and my littlen loves LFS, but isn't ready yet to race online yet, so will be a welcome update for him too

Hopefully it'll help some n00bs learn to race before they enter online races and destroy them for others too.. maybe wishful thinking, but there's a few people I know would sooner train offline so not to disrupt others until they're a bit better.

Regards,

Ian
They're pretty brutal wreckers currently, mostly at the beginnings of races where you can almost be certain that they'll trip you up- that's the most annoying thing about AI's at the moment; they seemingly just have no respect for the spacial boundaries of the human driver(s). It would be neat having them anticipate collisions to a degree so that they make adjustments to keep out of the way (or maybe Scawen could allow a setting which controlled AI aggressiveness).

Also I can't wait to see them be able to pull into the pits automatically if they've run out of fuel or if they're banged up and require a service.. All this stuff would be great.

Then onto the damage model I hope!
Quote from The Man :Next thing on the list after patch X is to sort out the AI drivers.

Quoted for posterity

HOoray! I'm really looking forward to that. I think it'll be interesting to see how their individual "personalities" develop after they've learned to drive.
Quote from Electrik Kar :They're pretty brutal wreckers currently, mostly at the beginnings of races where you can almost be certain that they'll trip you up- that's the most annoying thing about AI's at the moment; they seemingly just have no respect for the spacial boundaries of the human driver(s). It would be neat having them anticipate collisions to a degree so that they make adjustments to keep out of the way (or maybe Scawen could allow a setting which controlled AI aggressiveness).

I don't think there's any need for the aggression part if they return to how they were in S1 days.. as the n00b, ok, pro etc settings worked pretty well and if you let them drive for say... 50 or 60 laps (preferably with a mixed grid so they learn overtaking too) they could be quite a challenge sometimes and definitely knew where you were on the track and tried to avoid you but still race hard.. as you say, right now, they have no spacial awareness and follow a fixed path, whether you or any other objects are on it or otherwise

Out of F1C, GTR2, rF (if you can call rF's AI and mean Intelligence with a straight face that is ) and LFS, LFS used to have by far the best AI of them all, IMO

Regards,

Ian
Quote :they have no spacial awareness and follow a fixed path, whether you or any other objects are on it or otherwise

hmm. Well, I was just playing around with them then, and actually they do a bit. Tried parking a few times right in the racing line, and not once did they crash into me. So, there's a semblance of intelligence there! They do actually get out of the way. Probably this is very old news for most of us here, but I've never stopped to actually see what the AI are capable of. That AI improvements are on the cards now, it could be a fun experiment to find out what they're upto now and how that will contrast with how they will behave later on. And maybe even with how they behaved before!
Quote from Ian.H :I don't think there's any need for the aggression part if they return to how they were in S1 days.. as the n00b, ok, pro etc settings worked pretty well and if you let them drive for say... 50 or 60 laps

I don't know how it worked in S1, but in S2 I don't see any difference in lap times or "driving skill" for any of the settings. I can set a grid of four novice drivers and four pro drivers and you're as likely to predict the winner as using a coin toss.

I hope that when the AI improvements come there will be a good spread of difference between the AI levels. I'd like to see the pros taking perfect lines and giving perfect shifts, with the novice guys taking not-so-perfect lines and making more mistakes under braking or during shifts.
Ahh good point.. something I forgot to consider which would definitely make an aggression type setting worthwhile.

IIRC, the skill level is global.. so setting it to pro means all the AI will behave as pros etc rather than being able to add a varied field.

Apologies for the confusion.. been over 2 years since I raced against S1 AI and forgot this (rather important) detail

Regards,

Ian

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG