The online racing simulator
Quote from Hankstar :Last time I checked TC, you think approximately 89% of LFS forum members are morons

And rightly so. =]

Quote from tristancliffe :87%. I just can't stand people who know nothing about cars whatsoever, but like them, posting nonsence or believing what car manufacturers/organisations say without thinking it through for themselves and looking stuff up... Thus people think that speed traps should be at the end of the fastest straights because they think that big numbers there actually mean anything...

Just be pleased you're not one of them!

you didn't manage to call anyone morons in this thread, but you did manage to call 87% of the lfs community morons. you should try reading your own stuff m8

although i would agree that the speed traps in current racing is probably in the wrong place (at the apex of a corner would be better).
Agree with sinbad. Such things make for interesting statistics, but I don't think anyone is trying to read anything into it other than that car X is Ymph faster than car Z at the end of the straight.

And those who cannot make a point without resorting to namecalling are usually either:
a) wrong
b) a child
or c) trying to make a point really not worth making.

You take your pick...
d) sick of people thinking they are/know better than others just because they think it.
Quote from sinbad :Useful? Not really. Interesting? In F1, WSB and Moto GP they are. A corner exit speed-trap is of no help if you want to know which machine is fastest in a straight line. What does it mean, except "Vehicle X is fastest at this point"? Nothing, it's not supposed to. What would a corner exit speed-trap mean, other than "Vehicle X is fastest at this point"? Nothing, a driver could lose 3 tenths to gain 1mph through that speed trap, it's useless too. If you want to know who is fastest, you look at sector and lap times, speed-traps are "interesting".

Quote from TheRealEddie :For fun it would be cool to allow server admins to setup speedtraps. It would make a nice addition to race reports.

-eddie

Well i think its meant to be part of a statistic, maybe after the race in the results table. Something like a average output in a percentage format. If not, i agree, it would be useless to get this information while beeing a driver in a manner like the split times in the middle of the screen are beeing displayed.
+1
For bragging rights if nothing else.. It's fun.

Although if LFSLapper can do this already, you could probably script it to echo trap/top speeds at the end of sessions. It's another borderline useful/feasible feature that Scavier will end up deciding, next to flags on the final results board.. however cheap to add it may seem.
for practicing i think a speed trap on every apex would be very useful. like a realtime telemetry (eg. i got T1 spot on, but i can get 3 mph more on T2)
Pointless to be put in LFS, and as Tristan said, it'd be better in the exit of corners, but why are we taking the time to look at speed traps? All these distractions are just causing racing incidents. Maybe we need to focus on keeping on the road.
I think it'd be more something that'd show up at the end of a run, a la the highlighted fast laps or whatever.
#34 - Dru
Quote from tristancliffe :People have said "yes" to speed traps. Nothing wrong with that.

But THEN people have said "we could put them at the end of the straights", and I am saying that is a stupid idea. Then I attempted to say WHY I disagreed with their hopes. Then people starting saying I was wrong (and that it is a useful reading) or that we were suggesting putting it in a braking zone. So THEN I corrected them too. Then I went away from the thread, happy in the knowledge that, unless they had no brain, people would see sense and realise that straight line speed traps are -1 and corner exit speed traps are +1.

It would appear I underestimated the average silliness, as people are still arguing as though they know.

Nuse: It is on topic. The topic is speed traps. It has never left that topic.

Twice in two days I've corrected your misunderstanding of something racing related. You should be pleased and grateful, otherwise you might look silly in the future posting the same stuff again.

At first I was calling stupid people who thought it was a good thing, and not people who don't know differently, morons. Then, the moronic status starting applying to people who have argued that straight-line speed figures are useful. At no point have I called anyone in this thread a moron, unless you STILL think that straight line speed traps are useful, in which case I hereby call you a moron.

TC, how do you cope in the real world? honestly?

Get got facts straight please again, for some reason you've decided that my comments are worthy of correction. well i've not actually said anything on this thread apart from say where the F! traps are (thats a fact) and also to say about what i thought of them(ie enjoyed it when they used it in single lap qualifying then it WAS relevent) so confused about that, and then the other thread you are talking about i did not actually comment on anything apart from make an extract that confirmed what you had said about stagger/camber, so please go proof check your mistake before coming down all the high and mighty on me please...

why do you think you are special compared to everyone else and why does that that give you the right to pick on me in a forum when i haven't actually done or said anything condradictory
Quote from DeadWolfBones :I think it'd be more something that'd show up at the end of a run, a la the highlighted fast laps or whatever.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Pointless to be put in LFS, and as Tristan said, it'd be better in the exit of corners, but why are we taking the time to look at speed traps? All these distractions are just causing racing incidents. Maybe we need to focus on keeping on the road.

just dont read the hole thread, waste of time.

Quote from Dru :TC, how do you cope in the real world? honestly?

Get got facts straight please again, for some reason you've decided that my comments are worthy of correction. well i've not actually said anything on this thread apart from say where the F! traps are (thats a fact) and also to say about what i thought of them(ie enjoyed it when they used it in single lap qualifying then it WAS relevent) so confused about that, and then the other thread you are talking about i did not actually comment on anything apart from make an extract that confirmed what you had said about stagger/camber, so please go proof check your mistake before coming down all the high and mighty on me please...

why do you think you are special compared to everyone else and why does that that give you the right to pick on me in a forum when i haven't actually done or said anything condradictory

just admit it, you're a moron (jk)
#36 - Dru
seriously, if he thinks a high post count, the knowledge collected from some books and a bit of real life experience is enough to have a go on people that disagrees with him and/ or have different affectations then him, well, who is the moron would be the question? But since i dont like to insult others i refuse to anwer this. Some people just cant get rid from their contractedness. /offtopic

cheers
Quote from tristancliffe :Ah, but what if they get a low speed trap figure constantly? Is it because they are slow out of the proceeding corner, carrying more downforce, have less efficient aerodynamics, less engine power, or sub-optimal gearing?

Duh, its because they didn't hit teh nawz fast enough!
Well, this thread went uphill fast dinnit?
Threads like this are so much bearable to read when tristan is on your ignore list...
I would be more happy to see average speed at the end of a race or the average speeds for flyers (qualifying) more than anything. I know its easy to calculate distance / time but it would be nice to see at the end of a race.
+1 for average speed :up:
Quote from Hankstar :+1 for average speed :up:

Why does that matter? We already can see laptimes.
why do you bother if it doesn't matter? :rolleyes:
I think I found a point in this.

Maybe if it were like LFSLapper.

I mean, you pass through a speed trap and in the messages in yellow letters it says:

Quote : [360]Critical Has Passed through Turn 4 at over 130km/h!!! All available units are needed!

That would make for some mad crazy cops&robbers games..
Quote from 510N3D :why do you bother if it doesn't matter? :rolleyes:

Well, obviously it matters enough to tell people it doesn't matter, but no more than that
Real race reports give top speeds for qualifying times, and average speeds for the full race lengths.. It's not like anyone asked for top speed to be displayed every single lap. That's what replays are for.
Quote from Batterypark :Threads like this are so much bearable to read when tristan is on your ignore list...

Tristan is on your ignore list? Wow. Add Jakg and then there'll be hardly anything to read.
.....Anyway.

It would be nice to see your speed along with time at every sector, not just balls out fastest speed. That way, you can look back at a replay, and, let us admit it, would be a useful tool to better improve lap times and consistency, especially for the anal retentive / obsessive hot lapper. Having only as an admin option is limiting it's potential.

Some people can register if they are faster or slower by sector times, other people glance at their speedo when they hit the sector mark. Would be nice to have both shown.
Quote from tristancliffe :
Only morons (and I include the FIA/ITV/people who put the speed traps at the end of long straights) think that 'top speed' shows anything meaningful.

Oddly enough, I also think people who want a 'top speed' track are morons.

Isn't it obvious?
The higher the speed, the longer your "male central body extension"
323 km/h on a straight are just more "impressive" than the 183 exiting a corner...

But I really agree with you on that point, they should put them in important turn-combinations.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG