The online racing simulator
#26 - Don
Quote from XCNuse :The background increases size more than it should look.
Maybe it was Tweak that pointed out this flaw, I'll have to look for it.

but how could there be anything wrong with it? you can adjust how much will each texture become big when you decrease fov?
I am willing ERIC could update the textures for all tracks to hi-res versions or at least there would be option with next updates to have hi-res version "optional pack" as well.Its needed so much.

I would change also the sky textures format to better one so the gradients are not so visible.etc,etc,etc.....
I wish Eric would drop by the forums once in a while just to let us have some ideas of what he`s working on/towards. It`s not like if he gets flooded with requests, etc that he actually has to respond to any or all of them, but it would be nice to at least have an idea of what might be changing or appearing at a certain point in time.

Myself, Electrik Kar, and a few others spend most of the day working on higher res stuff for LFS, since we`re not likely to get full high res graphics until much nearer the official *final* release, and it would mean we aren`t always thinking "is it worth doing in case it changes?"

Just for an example, Kar has had his WIP South City updates semi-finished for a while, we were going to work on them and finish them off, but it was helpful to hear that there was an official update to SO happening from Eric sometime shortly, so instead work shifted over to Aston, Fern Bay and AutoX.

Plus, for a community like this where we hear from Scawen and Vic fairly often, it`d just be nice to hear from the man once in a while...
he is secretly building the Nordschleife
Quote from DEVIL 007 :I am willing ERIC could update the textures for all tracks to hi-res versions or at least there would be option with next updates to have hi-res version "optional pack" as well.Its needed so much.

I would change also the sky textures format to better one so the gradients are not so visible.etc,etc,etc.....

as long as we dont have to pay for it... I think the "low-res skins" are already at a comfortable level of quality and i dont really understand people who pay for those high-res skins but thats a matter of taste i guess. Same goes for the track textures, it all looks already quite good, could be a bit nicer here and there but in general, those texture improvement will have a huge impact on the general performance of the game as i have already noticed while using unofficial addon texture packs. So in this respect i dont really think we can expect something like this in near future but maybe when holy S3 is about to launch. (/speculate)

Quote from unseen :I wish Eric would drop by the forums once in a while just to let us have some ideas of what he`s working on/towards. It`s not like if he gets flooded with requests, etc that he actually has to respond to any or all of them, but it would be nice to at least have an idea of what might be changing or appearing at a certain point in time.

Myself, Electrik Kar, and a few others spend most of the day working on higher res stuff for LFS, since we`re not likely to get full high res graphics until much nearer the official *final* release, and it would mean we aren`t always thinking "is it worth doing in case it changes?"

Just for an example, Kar has had his WIP South City updates semi-finished for a while, we were going to work on them and finish them off, but it was helpful to hear that there was an official update to SO happening from Eric sometime shortly, so instead work shifted over to Aston, Fern Bay and AutoX.

Plus, for a community like this where we hear from Scawen and Vic fairly often, it`d just be nice to hear from the man once in a while...

Nah, i love surprises

Quote from Flotch :he is secretly building the Nordschleife

yeah, and he is also working on the LX8...GTR...whatever thingy :haha:

Eric`s inbox now fills with a hundred PM`s about his *new* track...

Quote from 510N3D :those texture improvement will have a huge impact on the general performance of the game as i have already noticed while using unofficial addon texture packs.

A lot of people are running systems that don`t show any loss of FPS whatsoever from running much higher res textures/resolutions, and those people generally find the default textures are far too low in quality and want something better. There are a few people out there willing to put in the huge amount of hours to upgrade the graphics, but it`s just easier and a lot less time consuming for us if we hear once in a while from Eric what is, or might be, coming soon.

With a self destruct button.
Quote from unseen :
A lot of people are running systems that don`t show any loss of FPS whatsoever from running much higher res textures/resolutions, and those people generally find the default textures are far too low in quality and want something better. There are a few people out there willing to put in the huge amount of hours to upgrade the graphics, but it`s just easier and a lot less time consuming for us if we hear once in a while from Eric what is, or might be, coming soon.

Yeah, i think those people are still in the minority and therefore a "optional pack" like devil suggested would be a good idea. Or just a option to switch in game. Dont get me wrong, i really appreciate your effort and the qualify of your work and i can understand that you could save alot of time if you would know which part of the content of lfs will be updated with the next patches. Just in case there is an official statement once about these kind of things in this forum, please PM me or something, i dont want to read it

cheers
He's doin cockpit pr0n! pirate:
All I know for sure is that Eric is not dead and he is still active with LFS, I know Scawen mentioned new content for patch T wasn't quite ready and we'd get it next patch, and I know car interiors where part of that content. So from what I know I can make a fair assumption that patch X will contain new interiors.

Anything else, well that would just be speculation, and I tend to only post things I know and that are not detrimental to the devs, but I can say that I would LIKE to have a new track environment or two, because i've been racing a year or so know and other than Kyoto GP Long (which I hate) i've kinda raced everywhere to death. I dont want a new layout, but a new track environment - somerthing to keep LFS fresh.

I'm sure that in time Eric will delight me (and the rest of us) - but whether that happens this patch? I wouldn't know.
Quote from 510N3D :Yeah, i think those people are still in the minority and therefore a "optional pack" like devil suggested would be a good idea. Or just a option to switch in game. Dont get me wrong, i really appreciate your effort and the qualify of your work and i can understand that you could save alot of time if you would know which part of the content of lfs will be updated with the next patches. Just in case there is an official statement once about these kind of things in this forum, please PM me or something, i dont want to read it

cheers

I don't think that people who can handle better textures are in the minority. LFS doesn't use that much video memory, and textures that are 16X as big as the in-box versions cause no slowdown on modern machines.

I think LFS really needs to double the dimensions of all the default textures. The default ones look pretty bad, IMO. Anyone who experiences slowdown can always use the "half size texture" option to regain any speed loss.
Becky,

That sorta goes against whats Scawen said:

Originally Posted by Scawen
And a few words about our plans : The idea now is that everyone can use this new version with its better sounds and smoother graphics, while we get on with the multiplayer-incompatible patch which we hope to finish in just a few weeks (depending on what comes up in that time). That patch (probably known as Patch X) will allow more racers online (probably 24) and more spectators, and various other planned updates for it as well (but no physics changes). Physics updates will come some time after that, probably in version Y and will include updated car cockpits (most notably the GTR interiors) and a graphically improved version of South City. We can't give any more detailed time estimates for those patches because we don't know what will come up while we are working on them.
Because no one has yet said:

Maybe the devs think we have already got all the S2 content (cars and tracks) we are going to get in S2? All that is left is to finish those few S1 tracks and westhill and it is time for S2 full...

If I was about to start making hires textures for any track I would do it. Patch Y is still many months ahead. I wouldn't expect anything before October/September.

After all, summer is on the door anyway. Coding and good weather don't mix.

Looking at other sims, netkar pro's patch isn't any closer (what patch)
#39 - joen
What he's doing right now is everybody's guess. He could be having dinner, watching TV, taking a dump, I don't know.

What he's been up to lately has already been mentioned by Scawen. Meaning, SO updates, interior updates (I suspect/ hope all of the cars, not just the GTR's).
I hope he has done some car exterior updates. Some of them, especially the RB4 and UF1 desperately need some improvements.
I'm also wondering what became of his work on Kyoto. Scawen mentioned Eric working on this somewhere around Patch T, but so far nothing has appeared. So maybe that will be inlufed in Patch Y too.
For just those reasons Becky mentioned, I wish that we at least could be allowed to put third party tracks in game. I am more than happy with the cars as they are now, but a track location or two right now, would really make me happy for a long time to come.

I know, I know... This topic has been discussed over and over again and the answer is always the same, but I can't help wondering how it would feel to throw the GTR's onto Spa Francorchamps (Stavelot?) or Monza (Brianza?), for copyright reasons created under alternative names.
It would feel the same as any other racing game that has Spa or Monza as tracks. Plain.. wrong.

I personally enjoy what Eric comes up with because it is what he envisions, where is the fun in something that you can (have) to do in the real world? Eric can put loops in his tracks, how many real world track builders have that option?
I would expect an option for higher resolution textures to be put in at some point, looking back over the early pre S1 demos of LFS they had an option to switch from low res to high res textures.

I think Eric is probably working on the tracks that need updating, Fern Bay, South City and maybe Westhill. South City is already confirmed, so are GTR interiors. I seem to remember also that an update to the RB4 was expected at some point, and a few fixes on the LX cars.

I doubt we will see a new car or track before S3, I think Eric will be fine tuning the things already in the game rather than adding new stuff this late on. Remember the BF1 was not planned, and that has added to his work load.
Quote from frokki :In my opinion Nuse already finished this topic. Of course you can speculate, for example, the weather of January 2nd, 2013, but I don't see the point in it.

i scratched my balls this morning and sniffed on the fingers and i saw it clearly in a mist of distraction: 2nd of january 2013 will be snowy here in austria.
Quicksilver, you can still switch from low to high-res textures, its called "Half texture size." The only difference now is that you can't choose what resolution you want shown, either its full or half, back in S1 you could choose from 256 to 4096.

As far as work load goes, car models like his can take anywhere from one day to two weeks (two weeks being he took a trip 3/4ths of that time). Texturing on the other hand can take two or three weeks, and over a month to perfect.

Tracks on the other hand would take at least a month to complete (texturing as you go). And that doesn't even include the amount of thought and design that goes into it, and you have to figure out where to put bumps, where to put turns, altitude changes, the list goes on, making a track is difficult. But cars could be pumped out efficiently at 1 car each month.
the car is not only the model, don't forget it. it needs the physics and also balancing. then you need to update lfs-world. so i think 1 car per month is quite a lot for one guy who is working on other things at the same time....
That is not Eric's job, that is the community to balance, Scawen for physics, and Victor for LFSWorld.
Quote from Fischfix :i scratched my balls this morning and sniffed on the fingers and i saw it clearly in a mist of distraction: 2nd of january 2013 will be snowy here in austria.

:frosty:

:uglyhamme
I think it's just too soon to tell. We have no idea what Eric has been doing in the past year. We're just assuming that he's not done much because we never heard of it, but we might (I hope) be surprised and actually get quite a lot of content in patch Y.

Still, if there's nothing else than a new SC and car interiors... I'll be sad, it's not what you'd call a lot for a whole year.
Quote from boosterfire :
I think it's just too soon to tell. We have no idea what Eric has been doing in the past year. We're just assuming that he's not done much because we never heard of it, but we might (I hope) be surprised and actually get quite a lot of content in patch Y.

Still, if there's nothing else than a new SC and car interiors... I'll be sad, it's not what you'd call a lot for a whole year.

I cant help but completely agree, Is Eric working somewhere else at the same time and doing lfs on the weekends type deal?
Quote from boosterfire :

We can't get new interiors or tracks and still have the patch be compatible. So, you can pretty much forget about getting either.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG