The online racing simulator
Which would you take?
(83 posts, started )

Poll : Which would you go with?

Wheel
S2
Neither
Which would you take?
I've been playing the LFS demo for the a bit of time now, and have been REALLY wanting the full version, and of course, a wheel to compliment the game.

But just the other day my PSU went out on me (my fault for not wrapping all the stripped molex' that I was using to power some electronics stuff), so now that a bit of my budget will be spent towards a new PSU, i'll prolly need to decide between either upgrading to S2 now, and just playing with a gamepad, or getting a wheel now (most likely a MOMO), and upgrading to S2 later on down the line.

Which would you guys take?

I also was wondering, if I were to buy an S1 liscense, will I basically be playing the S2 engine with all the S1 cars and tracks?

Because i'd be more than happy to compromise and purchase S1 with a wheel, but only if the compromise is in the cars and tracks, and not in the physics engine itself.
#2 - JJ72
in S1 you will find yourself really lonely.

But I guess S1 + a wheel would make you mad enough to get S2 right away even if you are in debt

so, S1+wheel!
Quote from JJ72 :in S1 you will find yourself really lonely.

But I guess S1 + a wheel would make you mad enough to get S2 right away even if you are in debt

so, S1+wheel!

I don't really do any multiplayer in the demo actually, most of my time is spent hotlapping

It's really hard for me to find any servers that ping well for me (considering my location), and half the ones that DO ping well are "drifting" servers :P

(no vendetta against drifting by the way, I just personally prefer "racing". And i've noticed most LFS drifters are idiotic ricekiddies who dream of body kits and rims)

And i'm half asian so stfu :P

But I suppose that, on the line of your logic, once I get a taste of multiplayer...

D: D: D:
Get a wheel, then you can practise and get good (at Blackwood anyway ) while you save for S2 :up:
#5 - RaDuS
gets s2 then you can save for your wheel wile enjoying to race with us <3
#6 - Gil07
Get S2, I'm playing with a gamepad too untill I can buy a wheel.
#7 - joen
As much as I would advice you to get S2 licensed, I would recommend getting the wheel first, as this just adds so much to the driving. That way you can practice with the wheel while you save up money for S2. Then you will probably learn the faster cars quicker because of your practice.
Playing LFS with anything else than a wheel just isn´t right imo.
Get S2 first. The pad driving is ok with the slower cars, if you use a pad with analog steering/throtle/brake. With a wheel you can drive more accuracy and it makes more fun but with S2 you get more tracks+cars=more fun
#9 - Gunn
If you buy S2 you might not neccessarily buy a wheel, but if you buy a wheel you will definitely buy S2.
S2.. you will have fun with mouse and S2, but no way with wheel for demo..
Get a wheel and stick to the demo until you can afford S2.
It's just not right to play this game without a wheel.
I voted for S2. But i'd vote for both if there were an option.
Quote from ZORER :I voted for S2. But i'd vote for both if there were an option.

Well, if I get either, i'll get the other eventually.

It's just a matter of where my money goes first.

From the comments i've heard, the wheel is sounding like a good choice.

I have LOADS of fun with the demo game. I could play just the demo all day long. I'd imagine getting a wheel would add to that, rather than hinder it, whilst purchasing S2 prior and THEN the wheel would restrict me to a gamepad.

But then again, I could either get an AWESOME game, and stick with OK control, or get AWESOME control, and stick with an OK game.

I mean, really, what is the controller without the game?

(I hate having to make decisions )
Quote from sinkoman :Well, if I get either, i'll get the other eventually.

It's just a matter of where my money goes first.

From the comments i've heard, the wheel is sounding like a good choice.

I have LOADS of fun with the demo game. I could play just the demo all day long. I'd imagine getting a wheel would add to that, rather than hinder it, whilst purchasing S2 prior and THEN the wheel would restrict me to a gamepad.

But then again, I could either get an AWESOME game, and stick with OK control, or get AWESOME control, and stick with an OK game.

I mean, really, what is the controller without the game?

(I hate having to make decisions )

Nah, if you can get loads of fun playing demo with mouse, then I can say S2 is the best way to go then.
Quote from sinkoman :It's really hard for me to find any servers that ping well for me (considering my location), and half the ones that DO ping well are "drifting" servers :P

(no vendetta against drifting by the way, I just personally prefer "racing". And i've noticed most LFS drifters are idiotic ricekiddies who dream of body kits and rims)

if you get a licence (even just a s1 licence) youll find that most servers are racing servers and that the majority of licenced drifters is a lot different from your average demo drifter

also even with just s1 there is one relatively populated server (to my knowledge) even during us hours (actually there really is literally only one s1 server)
ironically though that server only runs demo cars (btw sam why isnt there a s1 tbo server ? after all s1 pretty much is tbo)
Get first S2 and drive with a pad or mouse. I started like this and it's quit OK and you can enjoy already the LFS scene.
To drive with anything else as a wheel doen't mean you are gone be slow. Just yesterday I raced against a guy with a mous and he was kicking my damn ass and when you look at some racers on the DC server, they are fast and drive with mouse or keyboard.

Get S2
The same day I brought my first wheel, I brought my S1 licence, all them years ago. Was a fun evening If you hotlap a lot, an S1 licence would be a good stepping stone, but online its pretty much dead.
If you're going with a wheel first, I would recommend saving a bit longer and buying a Driving Force Pro rather than a Momo. IMHO the build quality is better, it feels more solid, and the extra wheel rotation is a nice bonus. Plus you get more buttons on the face of the wheel - I don't think I could cope with just six!

Psst! Most of the most-fun cars are in S1. :shhh:
#19 - JJ72
The game is all about control in my opinion..

I never turn a lap in LFS without a wheel, even when my wheel broke,I rather not play instead of trying to learn joypad driving and stuff....

in S1 you already get the awesome LX4 and LX6, one of the best driving cars in the game, and there's already the perfect track for these cars.
Definately get S2 first.

I drove with keyboard for almost 1 year in S1 and S2 and I dont regret it. Of course, you cant compare it to driving with a wheel but its still fun. And as was already pointed out, there are barely players on S1 servers.
A tough choice. Buying either one will make you want the other.

But if you are used to driving the demo with the gamepad, and can do alright, then probably go for S2, as the demo will still be the demo, with or without a wheel.

You can learn the various tracks, drive all the different cars, and generally see how much more fun the full S2 is compared to the demo.

There are some people who do quite well without a wheel, and if I had to choose, I'd go for the game content first.
I got S2 before my wheel, but then I realised I needed a wheel to improve at it so got one straight after. So I wish there was a "both" option in the poll
It's like asking should I buy a car or a better wheel to fit into the car first? Of course get S2 first!
Definitely go for the wheel first, it adds so much to the game. By the time you are used to driving with it and up to speed you will hopefully be in a position to afford S2.

Whilst others have said driving with mouse/keys/joypad is ok, I'm of the opinion that if you want to enjoy a sim to it's fullest then a Wheel is the only way to go. If my wheel broke i simply wouldn't play LFS at all, rather than having to compromise with lesser controls.
buy s2 , i play with gamepad and tbh its better then almost every wheel in the market ( the ones if seen anyways )

Which would you take?
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG