The online racing simulator
Spinoff : Texture size discussion
(184 posts, started )
The point is that the difference between 1024 and 2048 is not so big as between 512 and 1024 version of the skins.

2048 version doesnt make sense to be as selectable option to download.
nope it depends which resolution you are driving. on a 30" TFTs with 2560x1600 you can clearly see a difference between 1024 and 2048, the same difference you see on your 19" between 512 and 1024 2048 should definitely be a choice! (make them 4x more expensive than 1024 and there's absolutely NO reason why this shouldn't be implemented )
Quote from LFSn00b :Lol, i'm not a drifternoob

Actually, you've done the drifter noob thing.

Looking at DEVIL's pictures though, 2048 looks damn fine compared to 1024, which still looks good. I do think that 1024 is good enough for online play, especially in 32 car layouts.
Quote from Vilkacis :nope it depends which resolution you are driving. on a 30" TFTs with 2560x1600 you can clearly see a difference between 1024 and 2048, the same difference you see on your 19" between 512 and 1024 2048 should definitely be a choice! (make them 4x more expensive than 1024 and there's absolutely NO reason why this shouldn't be implemented )

Because it would cost the devs way more than 4x it costs for them to support the bandwidth for 1024x skins.

It is absolutely pointless, if you want 2048x skins, then download them here on the forum where people upload them, and if you can't find it here, then politely ask the person using the skin if they have a 2048x skin and send it to you via email or msn or whatever.

The devs are giving us plenty with 512x autodownload skins, none of us had expected that to actually come into reality, and 1024x is way beyond, 2048x is just out of the question, it should not happen, it would cost way to much to support that, not to mention LFSW doesn't support 2048x skins, so not would everyone have to reupload their high res skins, it would cost the devs roughly 10x the costs for bandwidth, and plenty more for the hard drive space.
So uh.. where do you go to pay for the high res skins?
Quote from qoncept :So uh.. where do you go to pay for the high res skins?

You can simply make a payment like you did when buying your S2 license. You can do this through http://www.lfsworld.net or http://www.lfs.net/?page=shop

Then set LFS to use high-res skins in LFS' options screen (somewhere in the graphics submenu), and the amount will be deducted from your LFS credit.
Quote from XCNuse :Because it would cost the devs way more than 4x it costs for them to support the bandwidth for 1024x skins.

It is absolutely pointless, if you want 2048x skins, then download them here on the forum where people upload them, and if you can't find it here, then politely ask the person using the skin if they have a 2048x skin and send it to you via email or msn or whatever.

The devs are giving us plenty with 512x autodownload skins, none of us had expected that to actually come into reality, and 1024x is way beyond, 2048x is just out of the question, it should not happen, it would cost way to much to support that, not to mention LFSW doesn't support 2048x skins, so not would everyone have to reupload their high res skins, it would cost the devs roughly 10x the costs for bandwidth, and plenty more for the hard drive space.

2048x2048 jpg is 4 times larger than 1024x1024 - not 10 times :rolleyes:
Jeez, can't believe you lot are still gasing on about this..
I know - lol

We used to play with 256 x 256 skins on 1nsane When you're racing offroad through canyons and forests, the last thing you're worried about is the sharpness of your opponents' logos
I spent 25 minutes wasting away reading this.
So I'll mouth off a bit on my opinion:
I've got a 21 inch CRT from the 90's
I've got a 256 mb 6600GT second hand
I've got 1 gb of Ram

I've got no sympathy for Jimmy or the collective with "high end" things in their pockets....

I disagree that we need to change any of this stuff.

How about changing the models to look a bit better, I'd enjoy seeing the suspension on free-wheel cars being connected to body a bit more realistically, maybe having the brake pads move in correspondence to the wheels.

Jimmy, "I get over 100fps all the time" - isn't an arguing the case, the only thing it's proving is the narrow mindedness of youself.

This game is in ALPHA stage.
This game was initially release in 2001? Correct me if wrong.
This game isn't Forza "shiny" Sport.
This game isn't about looks.
This game is about the great feeling of driving you can only get,
with this game.

Imho...
Quote from Tomclark21 :I spent 25 minutes wasting away reading this.
So I'll mouth off a bit on my opinion:
I've got a 21 inch CRT from the 90's
I've got a 256 mb 6600GT second hand
I've got 1 gb of Ram

I've got no sympathy for Jimmy or the collective with "high end" things in their pockets....

I disagree that we need to change any of this stuff.

How about changing the models to look a bit better, I'd enjoy seeing the suspension on free-wheel cars being connected to body a bit more realistically, maybe having the brake pads move in correspondence to the wheels.

Jimmy, "I get over 100fps all the time" - isn't an arguing the case, the only thing it's proving is the narrow mindedness of youself.

This game is in ALPHA stage.
This game was initially release in 2001? Correct me if wrong.
This game isn't Forza "shiny" Sport.
This game isn't about looks.
This game is about the great feeling of driving you can only get,
with this game.

Imho...

Why is it narrow minded to have your own opinion of things?
Why is it narrow minded for someone to want something that suits them (and anyone else wanting to take advantage of it) but its not narrow minded to be-little someone because its not what YOU want??

Surely thats narrow mindedness, to not care what others think because it doesnt line up with your own interests.

Personally ive always found the LFSW restrictions pretty stupid. They allow 1024x1024 skins upto 400kb in filesize, and im betting most people can make a 2048x2048 skin of solid quality at 500kb. Now fair enough thats still 100kb more, but were talking about 4 times more pixels, and it certainly isnt the hilariously claimed 10x more mentioned earlier thats for sure.

OX
XX

O= Original 1024, X = extra 1024 width and height
looks to me like its 4x, and in reality its less than 4 and probably closer to 2-2.5 with the way the files are structured to compress data.

Also, in this new patch its nice to be asked if we want the high-res skins and a warning that they cost money, i only realised the other week that i've been paying for all the crappy skins i've downloaded assuming they were on 512 settings. Now, whether ive somehow changed a setting along the way or not i dont know, but its annoying having lost a quid for something unknowingly, and then to add insult its now overwriting them with the crappy 512 versions!! So much for paying for them, does this mean im getting a refund seeing as they're being taken away from me?
Im left with the choice of losing the 1024 skins ive accidently paid to download, or forced to continue paying for them. Surely they shouldnt be overwrote if the skin already exists

Im not fussed over the quid, there's been £12 in there for years and its now down to 10.999999999999997 thanks to premium pubstats and now skins, Im going to have to add at least £3 (in 2025 :razz for S3 but the fact that having accidently purchased the right to download them, they're now being taken away from me just seems a bit wrong.
Quote from PaulC2K :...and then to add insult its now overwriting them with the crappy 512 versions!! So much for paying for them, does this mean im getting a refund seeing as they're being taken away from me?
Im left with the choice of losing the 1024 skins ive accidently paid to download, or forced to continue paying for them. Surely they shouldnt be overwrote if the skin already exists

Im not fussed over the quid, there's been £12 in there for years and its now down to 10.999999999999997 thanks to premium pubstats and now skins, Im going to have to add at least £3 (in 2025 :razz for S3 but the fact that having accidently purchased the right to download them, they're now being taken away from me just seems a bit wrong.

What evidence do you have for this?

Seeing as the low res skins are stored in a separate folder "skins_x" from the high res skins "skins_y" I don't see how they could be overwritten.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this bug, and I suspect you are just assuming they are being overwritten, without checking.
Well, i base this off the fact that as soon i go to watch MoE replays ive watched a few times over its had to download 30+ skins. I had to redo a couple of screenshots last week as i somehow lost the psd file and the image needed minor editing, so out came lfs and fraps and as soon as i started to load up the replay its immediately downloading skins again. Unless this is now refusing to let me USE the hi-res skins i've 'paid' to download with my hi-res credits i never wanted in the first place, and now im being given crappy 512 skins as well, i dont know, however I know ive viewed those skins before, havent touched the files, and now then its downloading low-res versions which im seeing in the game despite possibly having high-res ones.

Deleting them or refusing to let me use them, thats seems to be what its doing, i've lost credits to get them, but because i dont want to continue handing out credits to view other random peoples so-so skins it doesnt appear to let me view those i already have.

This comes from 2-3 MoE replays, i dont do random public server racing, thankfully, but i've participated and watched these races from start to finish at least once and i suspect all 3 were whilst having hi-res downloads enabled.

Seeing as your reading, did i at some point click on 1024 skins, or was that the default option in X Patch?

Added attachment:
skins_x > FXR_FusionMOE_r3.dds > 171KB > Dated 28/11/2007 02:03
skins_y > FXR_FusionMOE_r3.dds > 683KB > Dated 25/11/2007 01:05

Can say the same for the files located above this skin in both folders, and im sure many more. I have 2 versions, the date clearly shows i have the high-res version available to me BEFORE the low-res version comes along... why do i need the low res when i've lost credits to download the hi-res. I've 'paid' for it, but seemingly because i dont wish to continue 'buying' others it means i seemingly lose the right to use them.

So fair enough, its not deleting them, but its certainly not letting me view the files i have lost credits (and money) to view.
Attached images
skins.png
Get over yourself. First you demand the skin bandwidth to be at least quadrupled then you can't stop whining about the few pennies you lost for accidentally downloading skins that are 4 times as good as the standard skins.
I´m at work so I can´t open LFS, so this is just a guess of what´s happening. You had the option to use 1024 skins enabled, so when you´re going to watch the replay it would look for the skins in the skins_y
folder. But since you change the option to use 512 skins, when you try to watch the same replay, it´ll look for the skins in the skins_x folder, and since they weren´t there, LFS downloaded the low res skins...
Like I said before this is just a guess, but I do think it has some logic considering how the skin folders are organised.
Quote from J.B. :Get over yourself. First you demand the skin bandwidth to be at least quadrupled then you can't stop whining about the few pennies you lost for accidentally downloading skins that are 4 times as good as the standard skins.

HAHA, says demo guy who's racked up almost 1000 posts but wont shell out for a license?? Do you feel like a big boy now you've put the world straight, mummy will be proud
Thanks for your helpful contribution to the discussion, it was very thought provoking. I particularly liked the bit where you took the time to read what was said, and contributed to the thread rather than just reading 2 words, coming to your own conclusion, and then make completely unhelpful and inaccurate statements about them.

It wouldnt be quadruple it'd be far from it and certainly not the 10x some idiots are proclaiming it would be. I save our teams skins at 70-80% quality and that hits ~500kb, so were talking 4 times better quality, for about 25-50% extra bandwidth, how that is 400% or 1000% some clueless people are using is beyond me.
I never 'demanded' anything, so get your facts straight!
The truely high-res skins could cost double, who here has said anything about it being free or replacing the current system??
Also I never even said i'd use it, i probably wouldnt because as ive already said i have no interest in paying to download peoples random skins, i'll settle for their crappy skins looking crappy in 512 size just fine, however i think you'll find my points still stand as being valid unlike idiots like yourself who have nothing to contribute and just want to mouth off. This subject has peices that dont interest me in the slightest, but it doesnt mean i have to ignore the stupidity of some comments when its plainly obvious.

Secondly:
I've already said on multiple occasions im not arsed about it taking a quid ffs, but the fact that it took it unknowingly isnt right, something they've now fixed by putting in a message warning you they're going to take your money with consent. My issue is with having paid for something and now being unable to use it because i dont wish to download other hi-res skins.

So when you've finished not reading peoples posts and done insulting people because of your own ignorance, have a good day.

chunkyracer:
Yeah, thats the conclusion ive come to now, but what i dont understand is why it wont let me use them, in theory it should do it in 4 steps:
> own skins folder
> hi-res folder
> low-res folder
> ask if you want to download it
That doesnt happen right now for some bizarre reason, either intentionally or accidentally, its not letting you use the files you have available to you, and that was the reason for posting about them, i have them available to me, ive lost skin credits in order to have them, but LFS doesnt let me use them presumably because i've said i no longer wish to *download* hi-res skins. It lets me view my own personal hi-res skins, but not those ive downloaded, whats the difference??
1 option might be to copy all the hi-res files into the low-res and see how it handles that, but you shouldnt have to do that.
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :
i know they was low be for and it wont kill me using them low still but i run 2560x1600 resolution and there seems to be no graphical updates for higher resolution stuff for us high end users.

I don't know whether you're trying to come across as arrogant, but you certainly do to me. I've recently upgraded from a P4 2.8ghz/9600 Pro to E6750/8800GT SC, faster than that prehistoric GTS thing you use I might add. One of the things I did was turned on the high res skin downloads. I think LFS looks beautiful on full details but I honestly can't say I've noticed the skins at all when racing, the only thing that bothers me is when skins bleed on cockpit edges, and they do that regardless of what resolution they are so I always ensure my skins have block colours on the edges you look at all the time.

Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :
it should be 1 pound for 2048 textures and 1024 and 512 should be free cause there low >.<

They don't cost money for the sake of it, they cost money because it isn't free to maintain a server. If you want to download high-res skins you'll have to be prepared to pay for it, logically £1 would buy you 500 2048x2048 skins.

Quote from PaulC2K :HAHA, says demo guy who's racked up almost 1000 posts but wont shell out for a license?? Do you feel like a big boy now you've put the world straight, mummy will be proud

JB has a license but posts under a different name. To enable 1024 skin downloads normally you'd have to click on the option in the menu screen and be greeted with a full screen of text about them warning you it cost money, my guess is you either clicked without reading (most likely) or possibly downloaded a config file from someone else who had them enabled (unlikely).
I find it ironic that just yesterday someone said "Next someone will be having a go at JB for being a demo user". And now, this is the 2nd time I've seen someone "have a go" at JB for being a demo user since yesterday.
Well, i've definately not selected 1024 skins myself, nobody else uses the computer, and i hardly think my friends who play LFS on & off would have bothered messing with my settings, and having just downloaded X from scratch and see the warning message i can definately say i've never seen it before yesterday (which is why i mentioned it being a nice addition in my first post). At the same time, i dont recall ever swapping config files with anyone, i've had 5x >200gb HDDs in my computer for a good few years (now upto 7) and keep most things well backed up, the fact that until a few weeks back I had replays from 2005 (auto-save) tells me i've never accidently deleted it or lost it in a format.
So i dont know how i ended up downloading the hi-res skins, ive never been interested in them in the slightest, if they were free then sure, otherwise i'll download those i actually care to see in detail (series skins) from this forum.

Okay, so its not deleting the high-res skins but it is ignoring them, somehow the childproof lock on hi-res skins was unlocked without my knowledge and ive inadvertently ended up buying skin credits, i have over 1000 left (had about 11xx when i first spotted it when checking pubstat credits), however i dont wish to continue downloading them purely because i dont wish to keep having £1 taken for skins i care very little about, but would at least like to continue using the ones i have got as i can still use 50% of them in the remaining series rounds. But the problems is, how do i do so?

As for bertie big bollax, i though folks with S2 and using a demo forum account were supposed to report this to the moderators to get it corrected/deleted seeing as your not allowed multiple accounts?
Quote from PaulC2K :
chunkyracer:
Yeah, thats the conclusion ive come to now, but what i dont understand is why it wont let me use them, in theory it should do it in 4 steps:
> own skins folder
> hi-res folder
> low-res folder
> ask if you want to download it
That doesnt happen right now for some bizarre reason, either intentionally or accidentally, its not letting you use the files you have available to you, and that was the reason for posting about them, i have them available to me, ive lost skin credits in order to have them, but LFS doesnt let me use them presumably because i've said i no longer wish to *download* hi-res skins. It lets me view my own personal hi-res skins, but not those ive downloaded, whats the difference??
1 option might be to copy all the hi-res files into the low-res and see how it handles that, but you shouldnt have to do that.

In theory you´re right, and I agree that that´s the way LFS should behave, so even if you decide not to use 1024 skins anymore, you'll still use the ones that you already have. But there should be another option,because, for example, if you´re having problems with your computer you may not want to use any 1024 skins, even if you already have them. So there should be a way that you can decide one of 3 diferent options:

- always use and download 512 skins ( even if you have 1024 skins in the skins_y folder)
- use and download 512 skins, but using 1024 skins if you have them in your skins_y folder
- always use and download 1024 skins
Quote : Originally Posted by PaulC2K
Why is it narrow minded to have your own opinion of things?
Why is it narrow minded for someone to want something that suits them (and anyone else wanting to take advantage of it) but its not narrow minded to be-little someone because its not what YOU want??

You have a fair statement but I did say "in my Opinion" at the end. It is narrow minded to say he gets a great frame rate at with that resolution and not think of who doesn't until he is reminded of people who aren't in his "High End" gaming majority belittling people like me who don't have that. I don't want to offend anyone, they are my thoughts.

Quote :Originally Posted by PaulC2K
HAHA, says demo guy who's racked up almost 1000 posts but wont shell out for a license?? Do you feel like a big boy now you've put the world straight, mummy will be proud

Thats belittling someone...Don't you think?
For the problem when you turn off hi-res skin downloading:

For a workaround until this is rectified, have you tried copying all the Skins_Y (1024) files into the Skins_X folder and saying [yes] to file replace? (Remember always backup first before experimenting)

The only problem I can see is that if the creator uploads a newer version then it will overwrite the 1024 version when you encounter them online. But you need the lastest version anyway incase it's drastically different.

Apologies if this doesn't work, I'm just offering a suggestion I haven't actually tried this out.
Quote from Tomclark21 :You have a fair statement but I did say "in my Opinion" at the end. It is narrow minded to say he gets a great frame rate at with that resolution and not think of who doesn't until he is reminded of people who aren't in his "High End" gaming majority belittling people like me who don't have that. I don't want to offend anyone, they are my thoughts.

I dont think he was bragging, simply putting in a request for the ability to 'trade' higher resolution skins. I wouldnt say its a peice of p*** to implement it, but its not as complicated or as resource sucking as people are claiming it to be, and to those who understand it its quite offensive when people make things up as they go along as a reason something shouldnt be done. If they werent ill-educated guesses and assumptions then their comments could be perfectly valid, instead they're nonsense being touted as fact, it's like saying a 6 speed gearbox makes a car 50% faster than if it has a 4 speed. What i dont get though is the fact that people with what *they* seem to feel is inferior are the ones who dont want things implementing that they cannot use/appreciate. AFAIK nobody is asking for DX10 because they've splashed £1k on SLi'ing 8800 Ultra's, but the implication is that they're demanding the dev team to cater to them, when its really nothing of the sort. If they made 10240x10240 sized textures available, nobody is forced to use them, but anyone who really wished to could, and in cases where it doesnt do anyone any harm and any extra cost for its use was recouped in a similar manner to the current methods, then i dont think its doing any harm asking if it can be implemented.

Quote from Tomclark21 : Thats belittling someone...Don't you think?

Certainly, that was my intention, if someones going to go out of their way to be ignorant and insulting they can at least check they're facts first, particularly if it was aimed at me.
A misunderstanding is one thing, not even bothering to check you understand the comment is another.
Quote from PaulC2K :I dont think he was bragging, simply putting in a request for the ability to 'trade' higher resolution skins.

Enough said, fair enough.

You don't have to prove a point to me I do understand, but I disagree with what he said and now what your saying. I've read this thread.

Don't argue with me I'm not getting at you. Do you want me to pull up X-amount of Quotes from what Jimmy said?

Read the first Page of this Thread. Count how many times he thinks about anyone with non recent hardware in his language. If he didn't mean it that way he should of typed something different.

Quote from Jimmy_Lemon : because in reality lfs isnt "high quality" shadder and effects game like most so i dont get why people complain about "oh iv got no FPS", well its obviouse they wont if they dont spend a few bob and get a half decent pc, because there trying to run a game on a low end pc which actually works, if they tryed running a high image quality game on the same pc it would kill it

Spinoff : Texture size discussion
(184 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG